What's up everybody!

670grow

420 Member
Hey everyone! Names Eric. Been growing outdoors for a while. Trying to go indoors now. Got a cheap bloomspect 600w led. Mylar'd the inside of my 2'x3'x6' closet. Got a 4'' exhaust fan w/carbon filter. Oscillating fan to cool down temps as it would climb pass 90's. No a/c. Germinated using napkin method then straight to FFOF. Ran into issues at day 8 out of soil. Seedling leaves started to dry out with new growth reaching upwards to the light. Lights hung at 32'' above sprouts. Been researching online for reasons why this would happen. Mostly pointing towards FFOF being too "hot" for seedlings or lights too close to plants. Just needed to hear some veteran thoughts. TIA for any advice.
20190801_231019.jpg
20190801_231044.jpg

Good morning 670 and welcome to the forum. Here's a link that may help you.

I use FFO for everything and havent had any problem.
what PH are you running with your water?
PH is everything, weed plants enjoy 6.2-6.4. in FFO.

Good morning 670 and welcome to the forum. Here's a link that may help you.

Thanks I'll take a look at it

Welcome 670grow. I use FFOF, I’m not a veteran, on my second grow. I would add more soil to those cup next time. The roots are going to fill that little bit fast. I use distilled water until I transplant. Then it’s too expensive to buy water. I guess I’ve never checked the ph. Once I up pot and the plants loose there colydon leaves I start using tap water( sets for 2-3 days) and follow my nute chart. Ph 6.5- 6.8. There’s quite a few excellent peeps here that started using FFOF, that say it’s not too hot. I’m actually going to get away from the FF nutes and try organic nutes. Hope this help. Green vibes your way, Cheers!!

Welcome 670grow. I use FFOF, I’m not a veteran, on my second grow. I would add more soil to those cup next time. The roots are going to fill that little bit fast. I use distilled water until I transplant. Then it’s too expensive to buy water. I guess I’ve never checked the ph. Once I up pot and the plants loose there colydon leaves I start using tap water( sets for 2-3 days) and follow my nute chart. Ph 6.5- 6.8. There’s quite a few excellent peeps here that started using FFOF, that say it’s not too hot. I’m actually going to get away from the FF nutes and try organic nutes. Hope this help. Green vibes your way, Cheers!!
Thanks for the advice. One love and positive vibes

Heya buddy I'm not a soil grower but
In my opinion,

There's no signs of light, heat or humidity stress so I'll say its something in the pot.

It's way too early to have deficits of any sort in preloaded soil.
So, iether you're getting lockout from the soil being too hot or the pH being wrong.

In Coco, which I grow in, cal + mag Def (the blotches uptop and rust spots further down that you've got) are usually caused by my pH being too high.
You're getting some funky twist on the bottom one which is also a sign of bad pH and she's also getting bad burn from something . It's iether P or K. I can't remember but it's one of them.

All in, that says to me that the pH is off.
You've got hot soil syndrome for sure but the actual problem, I think, will be that the pH is going too far out.
I can't see any signs of Nitrogen toxicity so I'll choose to blame the pH as apposed to the hot soil.
N tox would be the first thing I'd expect from too much nutes so the lack of it says to me it's the PH.

Again though mate, I'm not a soil grower so got absolutely no idea what to do about it but thought I'd offer my observations lol.
I'm fairly confident I'm correct though.
If not , then one of the dirt squad will shoot me down shortly :)

.....hi emilya lol :)

Heya buddy I'm not a soil grower but
In my opinion,

There's no signs of light, heat or humidity stress so I'll say its something in the pot.

It's way too early to have deficits of any sort in preloaded soil.
So, iether you're getting lockout from the soil being too hot or the pH being wrong.

In Coco, which I grow in, cal + mag Def (the blotches uptop and rust spots further down that you've got) are usually caused by my pH being too high.
You're getting some funky twist on the bottom one which is also a sign of bad pH and she's also getting bad burn from something . It's iether P or K. I can't remember but it's one of them.

All in, that says to me that the pH is off.
You've got hot soil syndrome for sure but the actual problem, I think, will be that the pH is going too far out.
I can't see any signs of Nitrogen toxicity so I'll choose to blame the pH as apposed to the hot soil.
N tox would be the first thing I'd expect from too much nutes so the lack of it says to me it's the PH.

Again though mate, I'm not a soil grower so got absolutely no idea what to do about it but thought I'd offer my observations lol.
I'm fairly confident I'm correct though.
If not , then one of the dirt squad will shoot me down shortly :)

.....hi emilya lol :)
Thanks for the info. Went with FF initially just so I could cut down on a little early maintenance. I'll test some runoff later and let you know what I get. Water's at 6.5 though.

Run off is useless for measuring in soil unfortunately mate. Youll need a probe meter to check with any reasonable accuracy to the best of my knowledge.
Im pretty confident my diagnosis is correct. I'll be very surprised if I'm corrected but again, I don't grow in soil so I don't have the slightest idea of how to improve things mate.

I'm a hydro grower buddy, what i do to fix that would probably kill yours and vice versa.
Someone will come along shortly though, have faith my man. 420 will sort you out :)

Thanks for the info. Went with FF initially just so I could cut down on a little early maintenance. I'll test some runoff later and let you know what I get. Water's at 6.5 though.
Make sure your keeping your ph meter calibrated. I have 2 mid grade meters, and still messed up my ph from them being off, causing a serious calcium deficiency. Before I knew it I lost most of the fan leaves. Luckily, with good genetics, they still grew nicely.

Not much to do if the soil is too hot, but how often are you watering and are there holes at the bottom of the cups?

Are you spritzing a little on top or pouring it in?

Hey! Welcome @670grow . I'm a new grower (outdoor) but will be doing an indoor grow too at some point. Going to take this opportunity to welcome you and sit back to read the wisdom you will be receiving. Take care and I hope you have an amazing grow. I am sure you will be getting multiple nudges to start a grow journal. If you do start, please let me know. I'd like to follow along your journey.

Back
Top Bottom