When do leaves typically yellow?

Begruntled

My first grow ever. I'm wondering if I have a problem or if the end is near and this is normal.

Day 44F
Soil
5-gal bag
Strain: 8-miles high (mandala seeds)
Genetics: Africa, North India ; sativa dominant.
Supposedly a 60-65 day typical flowering time indoors.
600watt HPS light roughly 9" to 14" from canopy top.

Leaves are turning light-green / yellowish. Trichomes still seem clear. Should I treat this with a nitrogen rich of liar spray, start flushing with just water, or ignore?

:hmmmm:

Will add photos as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks in advance,
Begruntled

so about 2-2.5 weeks left
usually once your in bloom the nutes your using is lower on the N
so its showing the nitrogen deficiency from lack of it in the nutes I wouldn't worry about it too much
just make sure your following whatever schedule your following
and just to be sure if you can take a pic for us to look at
but again I wouldn't worry with the amount of time you got left in soil it would start showing even more when you start flushing
which you would need about 1-2 weeks to flush so you might wanna think about flushing soon
altho you can get away with 1 week of flush and let it feed off whats in the soil for another week and a half before you start flush
just make sure you give at least a week of flush

Thanks cronichemp! Sounds good.

Newbie question: When you say flush 1 week, let feed off soil 1.5 weeks, maybe I'm not clear on what flushing really is. It's not simply switching to only pH-balanced water, no nutes? Is it more?

For soil, I'm using Sunshine Advanced Mix #4, so not many nutes in the soil itself. Not like FFOF.

Photo 44F yellowing leaves with camera flash:

IMG_50051.jpg

Photo 44F yellowing leaves without any flash (HPS light off, too):

IMG_50063.jpg

Some Trichome pics at 44F:

IMG_5004.jpg
IMG_50031.jpg
IMG_50025.jpg
IMG_50013.jpg
IMG_49993.jpg
IMG_49986.jpg
IMG_49974.jpg
IMG_49964.jpg
IMG_49953.jpg
IMG_49943.jpg

Some bud shots (44F) (HPS on, but tilted out of the way, camera flash on)

IMG_49923.jpg
IMG_49855.jpg
IMG_49844.jpg
IMG_49833.jpg

I think they will be ok with the time left you can feed for at least one more week that will give you 1-1.5 weeks of flushing and the plant
will live off the leaves while its flushing

I couldn't stand it. 2.5 weeks seems soooo far away! I know it's just my eagerness, but it still got the best of me.

Sprayed leaves that were not real close to buds with a 6.4 pH solution of water and "Veggie Cal", made from ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, magnesium nitrate, and iron EDTA.

Been waiting so long, I'll be pissed if I ruin her now.

Flushing means watering the plants with excess water more then usual so the water drains out of the container and flushes away accumulated salt from the root zone. Just water no nutrients in it.

Thanks SmokerJoe. It seems by the term, "flushing", you'd use a lot more water, like put under the shower for a while. But I guess just a good watering without nutes should do it, huh?

One big leaf has yellowed so bad it shriveled up, dead-looking. Some of the others are beginning to shrivel, too. Buds still have 95% white pistils. Trichomes are half milky, half crystal clear. Don't think the foliar spray helped much. Will post some pics soon.

Thanks again,
BeGruntled

my leaves yellowed on two plants after 4 weeks flower

after a week of yellow I gently tugged on the leaves and removed any that came away by pulling on leaf tips only

buds are all looking healthy

I wondered if light intensity sped up the flowering process?

Yep yellow leaves will fall off with the lightest pull. I do take them off since they served their purpose. Starts with the oldest leaves first. Begruntled you shouldnt foliar spray now as mold will become a issue. I personally stop any foliar spray at the first site of flower production. Cant wait for those pics . Take it easy

I think you may have other issues, not that I'm the expert. to me, those leaves are showing a deficiency of some sort I haven't encountered. a flush might salvage the grow, but those are not yellowing in the manner/form I've found.

and as has already been said, too late in the grow for foliar feeding.

Ok, Thanks engineer, SmokerJoe, and Farang. I've stopped foliar spraying. (When I did it, I stayed away from the buds with the spray.)

Here are more pics, as promised. 46F, I think. You may get a kick out of the first one. It's my setup. I'm using an adjustable-height garment rack to hold the 600W HPS and its hood, attached with just twist ties. My girl is directly underneath the light, surrounded by various hot pepper plants.

IMG_50404.jpg

Next are a few to highlight the yellowing leaves:

IMG_50524.jpg
IMG_50725.jpg
IMG_50734.jpg

The rest are because I can't stop admiring this plant. :yahoo:

IMG_50807.jpg
IMG_50797.jpg
IMG_50778.jpg
IMG_50757.jpg
IMG_50747.jpg
IMG_50703.jpg
IMG_50693.jpg
IMG_50684.jpg
IMG_50663.jpg
IMG_50653.jpg
IMG_50641.jpg
IMG_50634.jpg
IMG_50624.jpg
IMG_50501.jpg
IMG_50494.jpg
IMG_50483.jpg
IMG_50476.jpg

Thanks again!
BeGruntled

I feel pretty good about my first grow so far. Since I don't have any other access to medicine, it's really tough to imagine waiting all the way through drying and curing before partaking. I'm trying to be patient. It's been a huge learning experience, and I've made lots of mistakes along the way. The biggest was probably letting her stretch waaay too much. I also didn't fertilize correctly at various times, stunting growth. Fed too aggressively for this strain in soil at first (based on FF feeding schedule). Then, slowed veg with too little calcium/magnesium, slowed flower with too little phosphorus/potassium. And I didn't wait past 4 weeks (from seed!) before flowering, even though it was small.

Fimmed one time, a week before flower. That produced 3 main branches that I LST spread horizontally. That worked amazingly well. Got 4 lower branches to reach the top of canopy, and they all have budded equally well.

Cannabis is the easiest plant to train!

After reading ChronicHempHog's journal, at least part of it anyway - the pages and pages of greetings was too much - I am trying DWC hydro with a clone I made while lolipopping her. The cutting was flowering, and it took a while to get what I needed to clone it, so the clone is just now showing signs of new growth. Anyway, Thanks again folks. Cheers!

the leaves look a little different in this set of photos. some of that yellowing looks perfectly normal, but the tri-color leaves do not. I'm not the expert on deficiencies. someone else is bound to be.

good luck on finishing this grow!

Enter one of those in plant of the month contest those are nice man. I had a rack exactly like that last year. I bought it at aldis for 10.00 it lasted 1 grow before it fell apart.

Wow, thanks SmokerJoe. That's quite the compliment coming from an experienced grower such as yourself. (Maybe my camera angles are making her look more impressive than she really is.)

Laughing because I got mine at Aldi for $10, too. It hasn't broke yet, thankfully. But if I move to a bigger place a couple of real tents are on my wish list. Speaking of which, do you think the pricier tents are worth the extra money? I'm looking at the 35"x35"x78" Aviditi PTU-70 on Amazon for $97.44.

I couldnt say for certain about the tents because I dont have that luxury but I have searched for them and seen some that were ok and ones that were hooked the hell up with crossbars ventilation cutouts mylar places for the co2 and for power strips. Thank you for calling me a experienced grower but Ive only been doing this for 2 years and have so much to learn but its very fun for me as I retain information very well. I did a year of reading and research before I started so perhaps that is why you feel I am experienced more then I feel I am but nevertheless thank you.Also you said your temps are 46 Fahrenheit was that a mistake? Just saying that because anything under 65 the plants would receive structural damage if the temps are that low for to long. If you meant 46 Celsius then that is entirely to hot so thats why I ask.

46 Celsius is 115 Fahrenheit so if you are going by Celsius you want it to be between 21-28 or for Fahrenheit between 70-82 with no overnight fluctuations over 10-15 degrees except on the low end of the temp you dont want to go lower then 65.

The conversions if I remember are something like this

F- 32/1.8=c C X 1.8+32=f

In words to get the celsius you would take fahrenheit subtract 32 and then divide by 1.8 to arrive at the celsius
or
To get the fahrenheit you take the celsius multiply by 1.8 then add 32 to arrive at fahrenheit .

If this is wrong anyone can correct me its been over a decade since Ive been in HIGH school. Anyways, hope this helps I will be back to read your reply.

Oh, I meant it was roughly the 46th day in flowering. Didn't mean temperature. The plants have been in a room that stays at roughly 74 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe a little warmer on the surface due to the lights, but I keep the ceiling fan running on high and I did have an oscillating fan on them for most of the grow. Had to move it elsewhere.

I'm thinking about what you said and posting some pics for plant of the month. Took this just now, a little better view of the whole plant. What do you think?

IMG_51075.jpg

Kinda looks like you have some nutrient lockouts, Do you PH your water or have you tested the water you use? 7 is ok to use (not best to use) but some places tap comes out at a really high PH and that can result in some of your nutes being locked out (your nutrients that you add changes the PH as well.

Either way you got some nice lookin buds man~!:thumb:

Thanks M1dragonace.

Ya, started the grow using the liquid pH tester where you match the color to the side of the bottle. Seemed very inaccurate, so 2 or 3 weeks ago now I bought a digital pH meter. Been varying the pH slightly because I read where plants uptake different nutrients at different pH levels, but in general kept it between 6.1 to 6.4.

My tap water is pretty clean, too. I test it with an EC meter. By itself, it's roughly 220 microSiemens. I try not to get above 1800 microSiemens when I fertilize.

I could have some nute lockout from salt buildup. That's why I was thinking of trying the foliar spray. I don't think the foliar spray helped much, though, so not convinced either way.

As long as it holds on long enough for her to ripen, I'll be happy. Besides, it's better than nothing, which is what I'm smoking now.

Make sure that the entire structure of the tent, including the corners are made of metal, otherwise you will be inviting problems further down the road. Also make sure there are at least 4 metal cross braces for hanging lights, fans, filters, etc. At first I though that 4 would be too crowded in a 2'x4'x5' tent but I sure am glad now that I have them.

Back
Top Bottom