When to move germinated seed into light?

eggzin

Hi,
Sorry I haven't introduced myself. I plan to, but now I have an emergency question:blushsmile:

I'm germinating a pineapple express seed. I screwed up the first one. I've used a rapid rooter for the second one, kept it moist and at 77* for the last 4 days. It has germinated and I can see the taproot headed down.

I've kept it in the dark for 4 days. Should I now put it under light?

My cab is all set up. I'm running a top drip situation a la water farm. I'm aiming for 1 plant, scrogged.

Do I wait until the cotyledon is exposed before I give it light? I'm a little nervous that I'm going to kill the potential seedling.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you Darkgrow. Will do.

My light is 400 watt MH. Medium- expanded clay pebbles. The seed is now in a Rapid Rooter from GH which I plan to insert into the grow medium. The germination is well established, but I became worried that it would just rot sitting in the dark in a wet Rapid Rooter cube.

Do you mean you get it under light just as soon as you see the taproot or, rather, from the moment you set out to germinate a new seed?

If your ballast is dimmable you'll want to start off at the lowest setting. 400 watts to start will bake your girl. Have your water adjusted to 5.8ish ph and don't feed any nutes initially.

Good luck.

Hi,
Sorry I haven't introduced myself. I plan to, but now I have an emergency question:blushsmile:

I'm germinating a pineapple express seed. I screwed up the first one. I've used a rapid rooter for the second one, kept it moist and at 77* for the last 4 days. It has germinated and I can see the taproot headed down.

I've kept it in the dark for 4 days. Should I now put it under light?

My cab is all set up. I'm running a top drip situation a la water farm. I'm aiming for 1 plant, scrogged.

Do I wait until the cotyledon is exposed before I give it light? I'm a little nervous that I'm going to kill the potential seedling.

Thank you for your help.

I gone em light as soon as they have there first set of seed leaves

Esp when they've soaked to long In paper towels and already are yellowing

In nature seedlings emerge and usually the Suns shining

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You can use any light just hang it high enough.
Mine are under 90W led at about 15" and I adjust how they stretch.
To much stretch lower the light.

I soak my beans 1 day put it in coco and under the light right away.
With hydro I would start feeding with 25% after a week as nothing is in the medium.

I'm just completing my 1 plant scrog grow in a drip system

I germinate my seeds in a propagator with a light shining on it before the seeds have even popped. I use a 125w blue CFL that I keep real close no more than 6 inches away cos it gives a nice temp in my propagator and then as soon as I have leaves they can soak up the gentle light straight away

I used to use a 400w MH, just move it an appropriate distance from the seedlings

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You can use any light just hang it high enough.
Mine are under 90W led at about 15" and I adjust how they stretch.
To much stretch lower the light.

I soak my beans 1 day put it in coco and under the light right away.
With hydro I would start feeding with 25% after a week as nothing is in the medium.

Thanks Darkgrow for answering my other questions and especially reminding me about light distance and stretching ...and other specifics.

Thanks everyone for steering me. I think I'm on course now. I'll do a journal as soon as I get going so I can avoid pitfalls. You can't beat the help available here!

I'd like to ask for some feedback on my current germination status...

It's been 8 days since I dropped my seed into the Rapid Rooter pointy end up. I could see that the taproot had emerged the day after I put the seed into the RR. I left it in the dark for 3 days after the emerging and nothing was happening --then I began to have doubts about keeping it in the dark and that's why I started the thread. During the dark phase I had the RR quite drenched --did I, perhaps drown the sprout?

Here's a description of my technique:

I have 1/2 filled a 5 gal. bucket with water and am using an aquarium heater to keep the water at a constant (mostly), 77 degrees. The RR was placed in a floating tray along with a sensor to give me temp and humidity readings. As I said, the RR was quite drenched for the first 4 days. During those days the cover was on the bucket holding in humidity and warm temps and in complete darkness. Then I removed the cover and replaced it with a transparent plastic cover and added light (an LED desk lamp). The humidity is a constant, roughly, 90%.
wide_angle_germ.jpg

Here's a shot of the interior.
close_up_view_germ.jpg
I've had that root exposed to light some of the time but also covered by a piece of the RR some of the time. I read conflicting advice about that aspect. It's now covered by a piece of RR.

I'm not sure why it hasn't emerged as a seedling. It's been 8 days. It still seems to be alive -small changes, although that could be wishful thinking. So what are your thoughts? Have I killed it with improper placement -pointy end up/down? water-logging it? Exposing the root to light? Should I still consider it potentially viable? What do you think about this technique? Improvements?

Overdoing stuff is as bad as doing nothing.

Clones like some heat but don't need it, beans do not like it.
Hard to tell if something will happen with that bean but I think it wont survive.
Could be lack of light could be something else.

Use paper towel or just soak the beans for 24hr and in pot and under light.
No heat no cover if rh is over 40%

Back
Top Bottom