Germination

oiuhdfukg

I started the germination process with three Sensi-Star seeds on Sunday March 8 using the glass of water method. Once it started to look like the taproots were about to pop out I moved them to the paper towel method. This was after about 2 and a half days in the glass of water. Now there has been no further progress since that point, the taproots are still no closer to fully emerging after an additional 3 days. The seeds look like the taproots are visible but they just aren't emerging enough for me to put therm in soil yet. Is 5 days too long or should I wait a few more?

Yes, I know. Thank you. Moisture isn't an issue.

Yup sorry just covering basic's as ya never really know on info given... i do have a habit of reading between the lines !

May suggest giving them a few more days :thumb:

The longest i've waited was 7 days before seed popped with 1 strain grown, i generally give up after 2 weeks.

I've never used glass of water or paper towel method myself as i've got some nerve damage in my fingers (loss of feeling) & i'm some what scared of damaging such tender young seedlings with my meat paws...

Preferring peat or coir plugs myself like these...

002987.JPG
003926.JPG

Bit easier for me to deal with.

You probably drowned them. Put in cup for 24 hrs and make sure they sink then place in a wet paper towel until you start seeing taproots. Why did you let the tap root sit in water with no oxygen. Let's not make that same mistake again. :Namaste:

Well, I've always used the paper towel method successfully in the past but someone recommended the glass of water method and told me to leave them in the glass until the taproot emerged. I didn't know any better.

Been there, done that! LOL I don't mess with the glass of water anymore. I have had more success with the paper towel method. I've also done in the glass until they sink, then put in paper towel. It works too. To each their own.

If you havent seen any activity with the taproot in the paper towel in 3 days, then you are probably wasting your time by planting them. The idea of the 24 hour soak is to allow the seed to absorb as much moisture as possible BEFORE the taproot emerges. If the taproot comes out does not have access to Oxygen, it will drown fairly quick.

What color are the taproots that you can see?

If you havent seen any activity with the taproot in the paper towel in 3 days, then you are probably wasting your time by planting them. The idea of the 24 hour soak is to allow the seed to absorb as much moisture as possible BEFORE the taproot emerges. If the taproot comes out does not have access to Oxygen, it will drown fairly quick.

What color are the taproots that you can see?

They're white.

im just a 1st timer still however what i did when i germed mine was this.

24 hours warm water in the cup - straight to the warm paper towel (i used bounty because they obsorb water and it goes farther) then it went right into a ziplock bag with a little air in it still. then i placed it in my desk for 24-48 hours.

i can see you know what you doing info wise. just saying that was my process and they all germed great. One of my 2 plants actually left the seed case fully and was just a root. i was scared it wouldnt take but she lookign great.

I'm doing soil and just germinated 2 seeds I got from Herbies. I had some light warrior and a 1/4 perlite mix in a small 4 in container. No soaking the seeds, no paper towel. Just watered the container and put the seed about 1/4 inch down. Didn't pay attention to what direction pointed up...This was just 3 days ago. I put them just on the floor in my grow tent with my other plants. Misted the top once in the 3 days and just noticed I can see the shoot about ready to break ground....Quick and easy:thumb:

I started the germination process with three Sensi-Star seeds on Sunday March 8 using the glass of water method. Once it started to look like the taproots were about to pop out I moved them to the paper towel method. This was after about 2 and a half days in the glass of water. Now there has been no further progress since that point, the taproots are still no closer to fully emerging after an additional 3 days. The seeds look like the taproots are visible but they just aren't emerging enough for me to put therm in soil yet. Is 5 days too long or should I wait a few more?

I have tried many different ways to germinate seeds, and atm I find that FuzzyDuck's way is the best for my way to grow. Using those disks you can completely forget to keep moist the seed, and have less risk to overwater it!
I place a dome on it ( the upper part of a plastic bottle) to keep high RH to help germination.
IMO it is very important to keep the seed warm! I've noticed that when temp is +20°C, 25°C it needs a couple of days to sprout, when the temperature is lower it may need 3 - 7 days.

obviously you can use you preferred method (towel, water etc), I have no time to check the seeds because I don't say at home so much and that's why I use Jiffy disks.

so keep a high RH and warm

let us know

Back
Top Bottom