When Should I Transplant This Little Lady?

elamigoverde

I started this as a seedling almost 3 months ago. I sprouted it outside in the soil and moved it indoors under a tiny LED from Ikea($10). It grew very long and lanky as it struggled to find more light. The stem was accidentally bent over early in its life so I propped it up by cutting a straw on one side and put the straw around the stem. I took it off a few days ago so the stem needs to thicken up a bit.

A few weeks ago I purchased a 225 LED halo with blue and red LEDs. The plant really seems to love the new light.

I have purchased a smart pot and many wonderful ingredients for a coco coir based organic soil. I have everything I need to transplant.

My question is, when is the best time to do it? Could I find a grow tent small enough to fit in this space?
About 2'x2'x5'-6'?

The air-pump in the photo is providing oxygen to 2 separate containers. A gallon of used aquarium water harvested after my latest aquarium maintenance, and a bottle of Mad Farmer worm tea. I keep both inside the bucket and water with a mixture of the 2 and r/o.

IMG_0297_zpsdizbcvjy.jpg

Thank you! This noob really appreciates your knowledge.

My opinion:

The first light lacked intensity, causing the stretch. Without light, branches don't grow. Bud grows on the branches. You need longer branches to produce a lot of bud.

And if this new LED, "225 LED halo with blue and red LEDs" is the 14w model that I think it is, I hate to be blunt, but it's not going to be effective as a light source, and your yield on this plant would be very, very low.

With LED lights, to get anything decent,, you need 20 watts per square foot MINIMUM. However 30-50 watts per square foot is the range you really want to be in.

I would also suggest a larger pot, and a good set of bottled nutes to take the guesswork out while you're still learning.

And last but not least, I would recommend bookmarking this page: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know
And spend some time reading through the topics there.

My opinion:

The first light lacked intensity, causing the stretch. Without light, branches don't grow. Bud grows on the branches. You need longer branches to produce a lot of bud.

And if this new LED, "225 LED halo with blue and red LEDs" is the 14w model that I think it is, I hate to be blunt, but it's not going to be effective as a light source, and your yield on this plant would be very, very low.

With LED lights, to get anything decent,, you need 20 watts per square foot MINIMUM. However 30-50 watts per square foot is the range you really want to be in.

I would also suggest a larger pot, and a good set of bottled nutes to take the guesswork out while you're still learning.

And last but not least, I would recommend bookmarking this page: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know
And spend some time reading through the topics there.

All good points. Some of which I'm aware of. I'm already planning on moving to a 5 gallon smart pot. I have 2 of them here now. Gonna go with the organic soil too. I already purchased everything and I think I can manage it.

The lighting issue is a concern but I'm not prepared to make any signifincant investments just yet. I have a cfl grow lamp I could supplement with during flowering. Not expecting any record breaking yields. I'm not sure if this is something I'll be doing a year from now or not. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you

When considering costs, don't forget to factor in how much it costs when you purchase an amount, lets say an ounce for this example. Which up here, is about $280 for some of the harshest shit I've had the discomfort of smoking.

One good LED panel will cost you $105 from Mars-Hydro, and can produce more than an ounce on multiple grows.
I'm using two LEDs now, and as far as costs, I've spent much less on equipment than I would have spent on the Cannabis grown.

Adding a couple CFLs will definitely help you out if you can do it. And you can pick up a splitter for about $1 USD, which will turn a single socket into 2, to use with two CFL bulbs. Just make sure the total wattage of both CFLs doesn't exceed the fixtures rating, which for most lights seems to be 60 watts.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hi elamigoverde,

Please excuse the intrusion, however it appears that you may not be reading your private messages.

Private Messages aka "PM's" can be viewed in your UserCP.

We ask that you please use our Photo Gallery to upload and post your photos.

If you need help with the gallery, please check out our Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos.

Questions and/or comments regarding this policy can be addressed by replying to one of the PM's I sent.

Thank you for your understanding and support, we are truly grateful.

:Namaste:

ok, but what is it that is wrong with this plant? Not disagreeing with you. I want to learn.

See this is what I'm talking about but on the LED forum I just get attacked by fan boys for saying it. LED is garbage. Go with CFL. I can show you a 90w LED vs 80w CFL plant and hands down the CFL is where it's at.... unless you want to go MH/HPS, but I doubt it.

A 300w LED will NOT out perform a 200w CFL.

Like they said... your plant is hurting for light density. Not meaning to slam your setup... but that plant would have been like a 35-45% better grow if you used the same wattage in 6500K CFLs.

See this is what I'm talking about but on the LED forum I just get attacked by fan boys for saying it. LED is garbage. Go with CFL. I can show you a 90w LED vs 80w CFL plant and hands down the CFL is where it's at.... unless you want to go MH/HPS, but I doubt it.

A 300w LED will NOT out perform a 200w CFL.

Like they said... your plant is hurting for light density. Not meaning to slam your setup... but that plant would have been like a 35-45% better grow if you used the same wattage in 6500K CFLs.

Thanks buddy. I think you may be getting attacked because your opinions are strong. I like LED for lots of reasons. I wouldnt say its the best option out there but for my veg cycle its great. Low comnsumption, heat and I like the red/blue light they cast. The LED in this thread is garbage but it did work well for a noob project.

I'm upgrading to MARS HYDRO and might supplement with cfl.

Bloom update
I moved her outside for flowering and things are going very well.

Back
Top Bottom