When to harvest the bottom buds after first cut

Wulves

Hope everyone is well. I am cutting my auto Gorilla Glue in two separate cuts. I took the main mature buds today ,but there was so many worth of others below them.
My question is I flushed this plant the past several days. Do I go back to feeding again ?
my guess is no .
And my second question is when do I cut the second ?
And any ideas how to prevent this two cut harvesting in the future ? I already LST ,and I don't have experience or want to lollipop .
Thank you . Photo of before and after haircut.

20230716_173450.jpg
20230716_175429.jpg

It wasn’t ready when you cut it the first time. Plants should always be fed up till harvest. Why would you take nutrients away as your plant is trying to finish? The plant cant get nutrients from the media it’s in so it eats itself, using the stored nutes in the leaves causing them to yellow and die. You should try to keep the plant green till the end unless your dealing with purple or red genetics. Flushing is a myth. Feed it for 4 more weeks and it should be good to go.

The trichomes were cloudy , it's 90 days old and an Auto.
I know when it's time to harvest a plant. You did not answer the question ,you decided to chastise me. Next time pass over if you can't be anything but condescending.
It was time to harvest , the trichomes were milky white ,some turning dark red . Flushing is not a myth my friend , some do some don't.
Idk if you know what you are talking about .

What ZigZag man was talking about is you can flush the grow media but you can’t flush a plant. A plant takes up what a plant takes up and flushing the media doesn’t change anything.

As far as harvesting the remainder of the colas, there is no set amount of time, every plant and every grow room is different. trich color is 1 indicator but there’s no need to look at trichs until after the overwhelming majority of the pistils have turned to a dark color and crinkled in. Fresh white or yellow pistils that are all spiked up indicate the plant is still stacking.

There’s a scientific study that compares flushed buds versus un-flushed buds, the short version is there is zero improvements to be had by flushing. BRB with link… copied from 420 member InTheSheds signature line. Flushing link and here’s another one Flushing link 2

yes absolutely feed right up until the chop. No sense starving a plant during the final push to build dense nuggets

What ZigZag man was talking about is you can flush the grow media but you can’t flush a plant. A plant takes up what a plant takes up and flushing the media doesn’t change anything.

As far as harvesting the remainder of the colas, there is no set amount of time, every plant and every grow room is different. trich color is 1 indicator but there’s no need to look at trichs until after the overwhelming majority of the pistils have turned to a dark color and crinkled in. Fresh white or yellow pistils that are all spiked up indicate the plant is still stacking.

There’s a scientific study that compares flushed buds versus un-flushed buds, the short version is there is zero improvements to be had by flushing. BRB with link… copied from 420 member InTheSheds signature line. Flushing link and here’s another one Flushing link 2

yes absolutely feed right up until the chop. No sense starving a plant during the final push to build dense nuggets
I agree with everything you say but if it’s still feeding it’s prolly not ready. Imo CL🍀

I'm no expert, but I feel when you flush at the end that you change your soil pH which in turn causes the leaves to yellow. That & the fact that the plant now has to resort to pulling nutes from the leaves. Now if you're using Fox Farms nutes that could be a different story as that nute line does have intervals in which a flush is required or at least recommended.
Judging by the white pistils I'd say the harvest was just a little early, but not all that bad. I've had several plants in the past that just kept on putting out white pistils even after the Trichs were cloudy. At that point you just have to decide for yourself when to chop.

My question is I flushed this plant the past several days. Do I go back to feeding again ?
my guess is no .
Yes, continue with a fertilizing program, at least with a minimal amounts. The idea is to let the plant pump any needed nutrients into the system and get the remaining buds to fill in and get as big as possible and then finish ripening as soon as possible. Skipping the fertilizing just slows down the whole process.

And my second question is when do I cut the second ?
That is up to you. We are not there to see the plant and watch any changes that are taking place. I do not remember anyone who has done a 2nd trimming mention a set time period.

And any ideas how to prevent this two cut harvesting in the future ? I already LST ,and I don't have experience or want to lollipop .
You say you don't want to do a lollipop trim and if so, then call it something else <:)> 'cause it will have to be done if you want to prevent a second harvesting.

I call it trimming all the junk, And, this sort of trimming was a common part of discussions 5 to 6 years ago when discussing what to do as part of the harvesting. It includes any sucker or short stem inside the center of the canopy that will never make it to the edge. Any of these stems that are about 3 to 6 nodes long. Some of them might have stems that are a very light green color. Look for and remove any very small buds that are never ever going to get any size to them. Include any of these tiny buds that are at the bottom of a long stem. That will let the plant send the flowering hormones and nutrients to those larger buds at the end that is already in the light.

All that stuff that is being cut off is the stuff that you would be harvesting the second time around. And the second harvest will not be any-wheres near as productive as the first so might as well not do it. Plan ahead and do a cleaning out of the junk just before or after the light schedule change or just as the flowering starts with an auto-flower plant. Do again about 3 weeks later. After that I take a look and do what I think needs doing.

One nice thing about eliminating the 2nd harvesting is that the that it helps with turn-around time. The next grow can be started and several weeks on its way instead of watching a plant finish off for 3 to 4 more weeks just to get a couple of grams.

The trichomes were cloudy , it's 90 days old and an Auto.
I know when it's time to harvest a plant. You did not answer the question ,you decided to chastise me. Next time pass over if you can't be anything but condescending.
It was time to harvest , the trichomes were milky white ,some turning dark red . Flushing is not a myth my friend , some do some don't.
Idk if you know what you are talking about .
I did answer your question—keep feeding and 4 more weeks.

@Wulves sorry you feel chastised. Not my intent. Just sharing information for you and anyone who might read this.
The buds you picked early had ALL white pistils and behind every single white pistil there is an immature calyx. The pistils should ALL die back, shrink, turn dark and appear to be engulfed by the calyxes. Learning what a ripe bud looks like will help you grow mature, full effect, stinky buds. One big mistake is considering seed bank published finish times and looking for those cloudy trichs at said times.

I'm no expert, but I feel when you flush at the end that you change your soil pH which in turn causes the leaves to yellow. That & the fact that the plant now has to resort to pulling nutes from the leaves. Now if you're using Fox Farms nutes that could be a different story as that nute line does have intervals in which a flush is required or at least recommended.
Judging by the white pistils I'd say the harvest was just a little early, but not all that bad. I've had several plants in the past that just kept on putting out white pistils even after the Trichs were cloudy. At that point you just have to decide for yourself when to chop.
Thank you, in previous post I did not mention that it's grown in Fox Farms Happy Frog soil and the trio of Nutes.
I did mention it is an Auto
And they do call for a flush after the 3rd feeding .
And yes it was time to cut the top buds the trichomes were milk and some turning amber.
I appreciate your input.
I realize the white pistils were present but 80% were brown curled in. So I did decide to cut the larger buds .

@Wulves sorry you feel chastised. Not my intent. Just sharing information for you and anyone who might read this.
The buds you picked early had ALL white pistils and behind every single white pistil there is an immature calyx. The pistils should ALL die back, shrink, turn dark and appear to be engulfed by the calyxes. Learning what a ripe bud looks like will help you grow mature, full effect, stinky buds. One big mistake is considering seed bank published finish times and looking for those cloudy trichs at said times.
I understand what you were trying to communicate, I might have left out important information.
The photo does not show that 80% of the big buds had brown pistils, as I have posted this photo. The trichs were milk some getting amber . Through a jewlers loop and a microscope. Very frosty and sticky.
It's a one plant set up under Spider Light T22
And it was very sticky. My landlord will not allow a grow even though it's legal, his house his rules.
It is an Auto and grown in Happy Frog soil.
With FoxFarms nute Trio.
Every 3 weeks flush.
But I alternate feed ,water , feed water ,feed , and then flush as needed.
It's not perfect but works ,I feel FF dosing is really enough for me to water in between and use up the fed nutes from the previous feeding. They do call for a Sledge Hammer flush after 3 weeks I think they know their doses are building up at that point.
I flush after the fifth week.
Sticking to their feeding schedule always but I feel a know from previous grows that FF overdoses in nutes and so I water with PH adjusted Distilled water in between.
Any opinion you can give me on this is appreciated and I look forward to your critique.
I apologize also for my rant.

Screenshot_20230718_063737_Gallery.jpg

I understand what you were trying to communicate, I might have left out important information.
The photo does not show that 80% of the big buds had brown pistils, as I have posted this photo. The trichs were milk some getting amber . Through a jewlers loop and a microscope. Very frosty and sticky.
It's a one plant set up under Spider Light T22
And it was very sticky. My landlord will not allow a grow even though it's legal, his house his rules.
It is an Auto and grown in Happy Frog soil.
With FoxFarms nute Trio.
Every 3 weeks flush.
But I alternate feed ,water , feed water ,feed , and then flush as needed.
It's not perfect but works ,I feel FF dosing is really enough for me to water in between and use up the fed nutes from the previous feeding. They do call for a Sledge Hammer flush after 3 weeks I think they know their doses are building up at that point.
I flush after the fifth week.
Sticking to their feeding schedule always but I feel a know from previous grows that FF overdoses in nutes and so I water with PH adjusted Distilled water in between.
Any opinion you can give me on this is appreciated and I look forward to your critique.
I apologize also for my rant.

Screenshot_20230718_063737_Gallery.jpg
I used fox farm nutes years ago—never bothered with sledge hammer. Fox farms is too expensive and there’s too much mixing imo.
i use jacks now—20-20-20 in veg once a week. 10-30-20 in flower along with calmag every feeding. Much cheaper and a lot less mixing.
The buds you show in the pic look a little ratty—the dead leaves and under developed calyxes. How’s the temperature in your tent?—with LED lighting it should be up around 84f.
Here’s some buds that are just about finished—notice ALL the pistils are amber and shrunk down. The calyxes stick out and can be seen from 10 feet away—this would be the time to take a peak at trichomes.
IMG_6598.jpeg
IMG_6594.jpeg
IMG_6592.jpeg
IMG_6591.jpeg
IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_6574.jpeg

I used fox farm nutes years ago—never bothered with sledge hammer. Fox farms is too expensive and there’s too much mixing imo.
i use jacks now—20-20-20 in veg once a week. 10-30-20 in flower along with calmag every feeding. Much cheaper and a lot less mixing.
The buds you show in the pic look a little ratty—the dead leaves and under developed calyxes. How’s the temperature in your tent?—with LED lighting it should be up around 84f.
Here’s some buds that are just about finished—notice ALL the pistils are amber and shrunk down. The calyxes stick out and can be seen from 10 feet away—this would be the time to take a peak at trichomes.
IMG_6598.jpeg
IMG_6594.jpeg
IMG_6592.jpeg
IMG_6591.jpeg
IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_6574.jpeg

What temps do you aim for at lights out, or are you all 84 all the time? I hit mid 80s with lights on but haven’t settled on a lights out temp. Typically I like to take it to 68 but after thinking more about it, I’m not sure how much of a difference it’s making beyond slowing down the microbes in the container.

What temps do you aim for at lights out, or are you all 84 all the time? I hit mid 80s with lights on but haven’t settled on a lights out temp. Typically I like to take it to 68 but after thinking more about it, I’m not sure how much of a difference it’s making beyond slowing down the microbes in the container.
I should have been clear. 84f w lights on—lights off can vary 68f—84f

IMG_6598.jpeg
IMG_6594.jpeg
IMG_6592.jpeg
IMG_6591.jpeg
IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_6574.jpeg
Sorry, but got to ask. In pics 3 & 4.... It looks like I see Nanners in the buds. By some chance did one Hermie on you ?
Sure is a nice frosty bud. Would suck if it seeded up on you.

I don’t see any nanners or seeds.. I see a few calyxes with white hairs that wrap back and have light hitting them making them look similar to nanners

IMG_5519.jpeg

IMG_5520.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom