Quick harvest question

Joebob69

When harvesting, what is your preferred method?.. To cut the individual buds from stems and dry on a screen or take the whole stem and hang dry it?? On my last harvest I cut the individual buds and screen dried them but I didn't know if it was easier to hang to whole harvest and trim when dried or to cut and trim first then let dry? I also wonder which way dries quicker? Seems to me like it would dry slower hanging them with the stem and leaves being that they retain more water..I'd like to hear your opinion on this and what you guys do on you harvest... Thanks in advance!

Definitely it will dry slower with the whole stem attached. Which is generally a good thing. Doesn't mean you can't find ways to slow the drying down with individual buds though.
I find it much easier to trim them when fresh and wet. I think most people do. But it's also got a lot to do with how a person is used to doing it.
I also find it easier to remove the buds from the stem as I trim, and feel like it results in much less handling and wear and tear, even though you don't have the beautiful sight after of a large branch full of buds.
The times I've tried to trim half-dried buds with wilted leaves everywhere, it was a lot of work and no fun.
Some people believe that doing all the trimming wet, at one time, as I do, results in some contamination of the buds with chlorophyl. They trim just the fan leaves and go back to do the sugar leaves later on. Others tell me it's a myth, and I choose to believe those ones.

I use seperate trimmers for fan leaves and sugar leaves. But I find just plucking fan leaves is easiest.

I prefer hang drying on the stems, but I go ahead and trim the sugar leaves off the bud. No particular reason, I just like doing 90% of the work at once rather than having to trim the buds up later.

I hang them to dry. Have done the rest of the manicure both ways. It depends on what works best for you. When I let the sugar leaves dry on the bud, I use hair clippers when dry to give the buds a buzz cut and speed things up. Helps avoid the carpal tunnel cramps with scissors too.

I hang them to dry. Have done the rest of the manicure both ways. It depends on what works best for you. When I let the sugar leaves dry on the bud, I use hair clippers when dry to give the buds a buzz cut and speed things up. Helps avoid the carpal tunnel cramps with scissors too.

Pick up a few of these. Search "bonsai trimmer" on eBay will list them. Like $2 each. Very light tension needed to use them and they come razor sharp.

IMAG039727.jpg

Note to self... grab bonsai trimmers.

So, I'm super lazy. My stuff is for my own consumption... well... and anyone else that happens to be around.
I actually leave most sugar leaves.
It probably doesn't help the taste. I could use them for an extract, but in my case, why bother. Smoke 'em right up with the rest. They're always so pretty... covered with little hairy trichs. I kinda don't want to cut 'em.

Note to self... grab bonsai trimmers.

So, I'm super lazy. My stuff is for my own consumption... well... and anyone else that happens to be around.
I actually leave most sugar leaves.
It probably doesn't help the taste. I could use them for an extract, but in my case, why bother. Smoke 'em right up with the rest. They're always so pretty... covered with little hairy trichs. I kinda don't want to cut 'em.

Definitely save the sugar leaves. I only trim them to make the buds more presentable. I start with trimming the tips of the sugar leaves off and anything else that's not frosty. Then I trim flat against the bud and collect the frosty sugar leaves. I smoke the sugar leaves by themselves, definitely a bit "leafy" tasting but the high is just as good.

Definitely save the sugar leaves. I only trim them to make the buds more presentable. I start with trimming the tips of the sugar leaves off and anything else that's not frosty. Then I trim flat against the bud and collect the frosty sugar leaves. I smoke the sugar leaves by themselves, definitely a bit "leafy" tasting but the high is just as good.

Do you guys dry your bigger buds whole or do you cut them up a little smaller to get a more thorough drying? On my last harvest I felt like some of the buds were too big and might get mold being so big so I cut them in half... What do you guys do? Btw I cut my buds individually and dry them on a screen.

I keep everything(well everything at the tops) attached and hang dry. Good airflow is key though. This box had a 120mm muffin fan sucking air out.

IMAG041021.jpg

Future harvests will dry here, but I'm worried about the airflow a bit. Just a 4 inch duct connected to my flower tent. Not enough suction to create negative pressure unless I close all vents in the flower tent, then I worry about not circulating enough air for my plants lol.
IMAG068219.jpg

I actually just use a window screen out of my house lol...I put all my individual buds on the screen set the screen on milk crates so it has good airflow. It has worked pretty good thus far!

Back
Top Bottom