When to start 1st day of flower count

I start counting veg time two weeks after it breaks ground sometimes 3 depending on size. Flower day one as soon as I switch light 12/12. Seems everyone has there own preference which is o.k.
germination stage --- 3-7 days
seedling stage --- 1-2 week
vegatation stage - 1-2 months (34 days being the average
Pre-flower/transition stage - 1 week + ( 1st sign of bud site development)
flower stage - 2 -- 4 months being the average (100% sativa's can take 5 months + )

I'm thinking most growers, make most things more difficult than need be. And that goes for every little thing from the wetting of the seeds, to how it is used. I got better things to do, than count the days in the incubator. When It breaks ground, it's vegging, in my room.
And the day clones show roots, they're vegging, in my room.

The hydro shop owner sounds like a total moron, certainly not someone who has ever grown a photoperiod plant. This is not opinion... this is fact:
A pot plant can not possibly flower at 2 weeks... most can barely do it at 4 weeks and 5 weeks is fairly common for the plants to finally reach maturity and even the ability to throw out pistils. Put a vegging plant into 12/12 when it is growing the fastest at 2 weeks old, and you will simply stunt it.
From a decent clone I vegged in a 15 L pot for 2 weeks, any longer and I would of run out of room in my 1 m x 1m x1.8m tent. In fact, I'm arguably out of room :(

From a decent clone I vegged in a 15 L pot for 2 weeks, any longer and I would of run out of room in my 1 m x 1m x1.8m tent. In fact, I'm arguably out of room :(
Sounds like a monster! Good job! A clone however is already a mature plant from the day it sets down roots. It could go to flower as soon as you want.

Cheers guys interesting responses.

So, I just received 2 emails back from the seed companies I buy from. Both say there Avg Flower time is after you first see white hairs. This makes sense now, as my Incredible Bulk will be done pretty close to 53-55 days.
I am on my very first plant and counted flowering as day 1 from the date I switched to 12/12 - about 5 weeks after the first flower appeared. The plant had started to show flowers on its own at 5 weeks of age in 18/6. It means the plant is far more mature than I had anticipated since I had to hold off on the 12/12 switch for 5 weeks. I guess I'll be harvesting far sooner than I planned. The bracts are all swelling like crazy, the trichomes are clear, and the stamens are quickly becoming amber even if the buds are really small - compared to what some of you guys are growing.

I am on my very first plant and counted flowering as day 1 from the date I switched to 12/12 - about 5 weeks after the first flower appeared. The plant had started to show flowers on its own at 5 weeks of age in 18/6. It means the plant is far more mature than I had anticipated since I had to hold off on the 12/12 switch for 5 weeks. I guess I'll be harvesting far sooner than I planned. The bracts are all swelling like crazy, the trichomes are clear, and the stamens are quickly becoming amber even if the buds are really small - compared to what some of you guys are growing.
If your plant produced flowers under 18/6 its not a photoperiod plant , its and auto flower and there is no need to switch to 12/12 with that type of plant .

I was starting to suspect that after reading some other posts. The gifter of the seeds didn't say anything about what kind they were - he grows all his with 18/6 and then switches to 12/12. I suspect he doesn't know that they are autos either.
yeah people still get tripped up autos versus photoperiod . Now you know how to tell the difference and make any changes or not to your light schedule as well as feeding . I have only ran autos once just to check them out , im truly a photoperiod kinda guy.

Ive read tons of posts asking the same question. Myself I tend to let the plant decide when day 1 of flower starts. If you havnt let the plant reach maturity and you flip, you will see an extended period of veg like growth until she starts chucking pistils, as I grow from clones, even they show a delayed reaction to start lifting up there skirts and showing pubes. So i tend to start counting flowering days from when they have a few hairs showing. I tend to take breeders flowering times with a piunch of salt aswell due to this. If you were to take the breeders times as gospel, you would be harvesting your girls way too early. ( i tend to grow 8 week strains and regularly let them go 9-10 weeks from switching to 12/12 due to the transition period ). I recently made a cross of Platinum Kush Breath x SFV both by In House Genetics, and that cross has only just started chucking hairs after 12 days since flip, where as the straight PKB was chucking hairs dead on 7 days after flipping the lights, so I count flowering weeks accordingly and tend to harvest at 50/50 milky/amber.

Nothing beats a Loupe to check the trichs, i like to count and check trichs at the same time so i know when to induce stress / PK / Insect Frass / Flush etc so at least i know im in the ball park. Rather take them down late than too early.

To each there own, but i will stress taking them down early is worse than taking them down late.

Peace

Hukt

Great thread with good debates.
I consider my plants as seedlings for about 2 weeks.
I consider clones in veg as soon as their roots have formed and they are ready to be planted into their own solo cups. This take about 10 - 14 days.
I consider first day of flower the first day I see pistols bursting from my tops. Growing from clone is faster IMO. This time they starting throwing pistols after only 7 days grown from 3rd generation clones.
I also agree that a plant only 2 weeks from seed is not worth throwing into flower. That's what clones are for.

Great thread with good debates.
I consider my plants as seedlings for about 2 weeks.
I consider clones in veg as soon as their roots have formed and they are ready to be planted into their own solo cups. This take about 10 - 14 days.
I consider first day of flower the first day I see pistols bursting from my tops. Growing from clone is faster IMO. This time they starting throwing pistols after only 7 days grown from 3rd generation clones.
I also agree that a plant only 2 weeks from seed is not worth throwing into flower. That's what clones are for.
How long does it take from the 12-12 to see pistols everywhere? Not just one here and there either.

How long does it take from the 12-12 to see pistols everywhere? Not just one here and there either.
That's actually what I am referring to. I always have pistols because I have been growing perpetually from clones. Clones are sexually mature right from the start but of course need roots before they are ready to flip depending on the size you want to veg to before flipping.
So to answer your question more direct I would say it strongly depends on the strain but for me and the strains I run there are preflowers at 7 days.

Ive read tons of posts asking the same question. Myself I tend to let the plant decide when day 1 of flower starts. If you havnt let the plant reach maturity and you flip, you will see an extended period of veg like growth until she starts chucking pistils, as I grow from clones, even they show a delayed reaction to start lifting up there skirts and showing pubes. So i tend to start counting flowering days from when they have a few hairs showing. I tend to take breeders flowering times with a piunch of salt aswell due to this. If you were to take the breeders times as gospel, you would be harvesting your girls way too early. ( i tend to grow 8 week strains and regularly let them go 9-10 weeks from switching to 12/12 due to the transition period ). I recently made a cross of Platinum Kush Breath x SFV both by In House Genetics, and that cross has only just started chucking hairs after 12 days since flip, where as the straight PKB was chucking hairs dead on 7 days after flipping the lights, so I count flowering weeks accordingly and tend to harvest at 50/50 milky/amber.

Nothing beats a Loupe to check the trichs, i like to count and check trichs at the same time so i know when to induce stress / PK / Insect Frass / Flush etc so at least i know im in the ball park. Rather take them down late than too early.

To each there own, but i will stress taking them down early is worse than taking them down late.

Peace

Hukt

You are talking about "transition/pre-flower stage" generally after you flip (12/12) it takes 7-10 days before for bud development. if you want to shorten pre-flower more do 14 hrs dark 10 hrs light - gives you buds in 5 days. Plant needs 13-14 dark to trigger bud development. use to use 12/12 on flower now I flower at 11/13 and cut total flower time by 5-7 days

You are talking about "transition/pre-flower stage" generally after you flip (12/12) it takes 7-10 days before for bud development. if you want to shorten pre-flower more do 14 hrs dark 10 hrs light - gives you buds in 5 days. Plant needs 13-14 dark to trigger bud development. use to use 12/12 on flower now I flower at 11/13 and cut total flower time by 5-7 days

Totally agree, I forgot to mention I use 660nm red at lights out to " try " and circumvent this. the 660nm puts the girls to sleep rapid instead of the 1-2 hours it would with a conventional switch from lights on to lights off, allows you to run a 13 on / 11 off, but only 1 of my tents has this at the momment ( 36 x CLU048 3k and 3.5k with 18 x epiled 660nm 3w diodes ) which is the fucker that chucked hairs at 7 days. I need to make some more pucks for my other tent, but theyve already started chucking after being on 12/12 for 12 days, as ive not ran this cross yet it. Im going to take an hour OFF the timer now to give them 11/13. :slide:

Totally agree, I forgot to mention I use 660nm red at lights out to " try " and circumvent this. the 660nm puts the girls to sleep rapid instead of the 1-2 hours it would with a conventional switch from lights on to lights off, allows you to run a 13 on / 11 off, but only 1 of my tents has this at the momment ( 36 x CLU048 3k and 3.5k with 18 x epiled 660nm 3w diodes ) which is the fucker that chucked hairs at 7 days. I need to make some more pucks for my other tent, but theyve already started chucking after being on 12/12 for 12 days, as ive not ran this cross yet it. Im going to take an hour OFF the timer now to give them 11/13. :slide:
I also use just the blue spectrum last 3 days of flower this increases terepene's and essential oils (backed by science) have a dimminable (red, blue, white) led

I also use just the blue spectrum last 3 days of flower this increases terepene's and essential oils (backed by science) have a dimminable (red, blue, white) led

I wished I didnt sell my CMH ballasts just for this, Id have ran 10k bulbs the last week ontop of dimmed cobs just to finnish !

Back
Top Bottom