Where did the term Lid come from?

Stoned Redneck

Just wondering where the term Lid came from.? Some say they used a coffee can lid to measure it with but that seems weird ...any thoughts ?

Thanks , I just looked it up on google and up comes the discussion from ... 2010 ! And I was talking about it then . There is pages of info. And everyone has a different idea about it . We got a three finger lid in the late 60’s and early 1970’s for 10 bucks . Then name brand came in ..Acapulco gold or Colombian. $20 bucks a lid . We bought itAnd it just went up from there. And now there is stores selling it . Time flys

Thanks , I just looked it up on google and up comes the discussion from ... 2010 ! And I was talking about it then . There is pages of info. And everyone has a different idea about it . We got a three finger lid in the late 60’s and early 1970’s for 10 bucks . Then name brand came in ..Acapulco gold or Colombian. $20 bucks a lid . We bought itAnd it just went up from there. And now there is stores selling it . Time flys

Thats how they used to measure weed a lid was a lid off a jar they would fill it with weed hence a lid for twenty pretty good back in the day Panama red all import in those days..:)

Not based on facts but here's what I think-
Back in the 50's- 60's weed was measured out with a Prince Albert tobacco can lid.
Smaller amounts was sold in matchboxes.

Back in the day (Late 60s early 70s) It was purchased by the finger, 3 finger was the norm. it paid to know
a dealer with BIG HANDS :laughtwo:

Not sure if it pertains to this conversation but just sayin

Yeah, and those bags were the big brown paper grocery store sacks, lol.

Won't be seeing those days again.

My favorite buys were in the mid-80s, used to pick up an ounce on the way to school a few times per week... Sometimes, the guy would have already left for work. His old lady was dumber than a fence post, couldn't even manage to use a simple set of triple beam scales -so she'd just throw a bunch into a bag. "Does this look okay?"

"Boy... Wow... I don't know, could be a little light I reckon. Maybe I better go to Red's and get it." And in would go another handful or two.

Had scales (and papers, of course) in my locker. I used to check them every time and laugh like I was on something interesting, lol (even when I wasn't ;) ). Once, it weighed 52 grams.

I kept hoping he'd marry that one, but he finally found someone that had more than two brain cells.

Ah, you youngsters :blunt:Back in the 70’s, when you bought a bag ‘o weed, it was usually in a sandwich baggie. When it was filled to the top, the flap or the lid was folded over.
This is how I remember it.
I’ve been around the herb since ‘74.
There were no ziplocks then. The baggies had a flap, or lid. You had to lick it to make it stay closed.

My dad, an old stoner from the 60's explained to us the other night where he thought the term lid came from. Of course on the street it came to mean a 3 finger baggie just for the ease of selling to friends because that was pretty close to the standard, but the lid in question was a mason jar lid. As much as you could pile up in that lid went in the baggie. It was about 3 fat fingers of pot.

In the late 70s early 80s the term was used infrequently but still heard it. Three fingers but more than $20 around the Philly area. Only Mexican or Columbian usually was referred to this way. It was looser in a baggie. More stems and seeds a nd always brown. So it was kind of like saying a lid meant lower quality. Most of the time I was getting closer to what we get today but a few seeds. Every once in a while I could get Thai stick. I knew a few people. Those were the days.

Back
Top Bottom