Which bulb to use?

Papageno

I have a 1000W switchable ballast that allows for either MH or HPS. I think it also allows for dual arc which I am very interested in. This is a cheapo old school analog one I got from Gro-Kart a group that used to sponsor here.

So I was considering upgrading my bulbs as I am using the "free" one that came with it. Actually they gave me 2 HPS bulbs with it and I used one of them for just about 2 months to finish off my last grow. So I may just sell the one I haven't used on CL.

So my question is first for anyone who has tried a dual arc. I am interested in using that though veg instead of a MH. I am wondering if anyone who has experience with both has anything great to say about it or should I stick to a 1000W MH for veg? I have another 400W HPS setup so I could technically run the 1000W MH and the 400HPS in the same tent but man that is a lot of light for a 5x5.

Also when you walk into the store they go on and on about how you get what you pay for in the bulbs. Buying a $300 Hortilux...is that really worth the extra 200 bucks over a $100 one? I mean I get the $40 ones are probably best used as targets but I am just growing for personal use. I find it hard to believe that they really matter that much...the cheapo one I got with the set is pretty awesome.

thanks!

I have a 1000W switchable ballast that allows for either MH or HPS. I think it also allows for dual arc which I am very interested in. This is a cheapo old school analog one I got from Gro-Kart a group that used to sponsor here.

So I was considering upgrading my bulbs as I am using the "free" one that came with it. Actually they gave me 2 HPS bulbs with it and I used one of them for just about 2 months to finish off my last grow. So I may just sell the one I haven't used on CL.

So my question is first for anyone who has tried a dual arc. I am interested in using that though veg instead of a MH. I am wondering if anyone who has experience with both has anything great to say about it or should I stick to a 1000W MH for veg? I have another 400W HPS setup so I could technically run the 1000W MH and the 400HPS in the same tent but man that is a lot of light for a 5x5.

Also when you walk into the store they go on and on about how you get what you pay for in the bulbs. Buying a $300 Hortilux...is that really worth the extra 200 bucks over a $100 one? I mean I get the $40 ones are probably best used as targets but I am just growing for personal use. I find it hard to believe that they really matter that much...the cheapo one I got with the set is pretty awesome.

thanks!

While I'm a LED user from what I have read from very experienced MH/HPS guys on here is that some of the upper end bulbs make a huge difference in light color/life and results. Some of the threads I read here really surprised me to hear of the big differences guys were talking about. Hope someone with more HID experience weighs in here for you.

Not sure where you live, but in the US you can get the Hortilux bulbs off Amazon for less than $70. When most HID guys talk about the advantages of buying a good bulb versus a cheap one you hear a lot about how the cheap bulbs have about half the life of a good bulb. Depending on what cheap bulb you are using you can see a lot of difference in the spectrums as well. Personally I get where you are coming from with going cheap since it's just for personal use, but when you are putting as much time and money into a grow as it takes, the extra $40-50 for a good bulb is a small price to pay and may very well pay for itself.

Dual arc or dual spectrum bulbs more likely a different terminology to explain such but i assume it is the same apart from CMH which is a slightly different design & i'm pretty sure these all work with standard ballasts.

I've used sunmaster & grolux dual spectrum bulbs in the past but only in flowering they work just fine.

I use cfl 6500k for vegging only a 125w & much cheaper to run/cost with suitable results than using hps/mh/dual spectrum of a larger size or wattage & cost !

How ever i am top end / brand name user myself as you get what you pay for... longer life, less depreciation of light energy par/umol/lumen over time than cheaper bulbs.

Thanks guys, I am in Oregon so totally legal personal grow. I have been growing since '95 off and on so I have a decent background but I always grew in small closets I built with the largest light being a 400W. Now that it is legal I went out and got a 5x5 tent and threw in a 1000W I got cheap from one of the sponsors here.

I have been looking online and the dual arc ones on ebay go between $189 to $325 both Hortilux just different models.

On Amazon the list price is $372 but they are on sale for $164.

I am sure at my grow store they want closer to 200...I can call real quick and see...

oh wow did he give me an ear full. So the light guy has tried them and doesn't really like them. He has a $240 he said he would give me at $160.

But he convinced me that they are not the way to go. It is old tech that has issues. The Dual archs can't maintain a good efficiency running both a MH and HPS at the same time. It is far better to run a dual set up with 2 600W units, one of each type instead.

I am an engineer and have plenty of cash. I think I will just go get a top line ballast and lamp and just save all this old stuff for backup.

Thanks again!

I upgraded to a name brand quantum ballast and a high end digilux HPS bulb and noticed no difference in yield/quality. Obviously I'm a small time home grower and not running a big experiment. IMO higher end bulbs/ballast only make a big difference on large grow ops. For small home growers the difference is too small to see because our numbers are so much lower.

With that said I still buy the name brand when I get replacements because I'm brained washed like everyone else lol

I ended up with a solis tek 1000W dimmable and the best DE bulb out there. No more fucking around.

I grew monsters with my 400s so I bet my 1000 will do great. So far it is looking real nice. The DE is WAY better than my SE!!! Never going back.

I actually did a bunch of research after this post and decided dual arc is just not for me. Too wasteful and just plain old technology that is far inferior to modern DE bulbs.

Now I don't even think about my lighting because it can't really be improved upon.

I ended up with a solis tek 1000W dimmable and the best DE bulb out there. No more fucking around.

I grew monsters with my 400s so I bet my 1000 will do great. So far it is looking real nice. The DE is WAY better than my SE!!! Never going back.

I actually did a bunch of research after this post and decided dual arc is just not for me. Too wasteful and just plain old technology that is far inferior to modern DE bulbs.

Now I don't even think about my lighting because it can't really be improved upon.

Can you name some brands?

Back
Top Bottom