Which light should I buy?

Tris420

Hey guys a friend of mine wants to grow in this box
grow_box_0011.JPG

He wants to grow with HPS lights .. i told him he definatly needs 2 lights but which one should he buy? 400 Watt? 600Watt ? or different one lol

Thanks in advance :)

I would think that is much in the same lines as what car should I buy. It really depends on your friends budget, what he expectations are, and a ton of other variables. For example if he is currently paying what I pay for electricity, 0.094 cents per kilowatt/hour he can expect his electric bill to be $10.15 per month more per light fixture per month, so his electric bill with 2 600 watts HIDs verses 2 400 watt HIDs will be an increase of $20.30 cents more for the 600's verse the 400's. Now that is not the total increased cost that is only how much more he will have to pay to upgrade to 600's. That is for Vegging, now for Flowering it will be $6.77 per light extra for an increased bill of $13.54.
Depending on his budget, the 400's may be the way to go, or the 600's. Kind of depends on what he is comfortable paying each month.
Also increased wattage means, increase heat which will need to be addressed.

Like I said, a whole lot of variables.

I pick the Ferrari but unfortunately a Mustang Roush is the best I can afford.

I like the 600 watt HID because they are the most efficient when considering light produced for the power consumed. They give decent spread and he could even look at dimmable ballasts. I think 400 watt lights are just a bit too small for the task at hand. If electricity or price are a concern I would go to 2 600 watt fixtures before stepping down to 400 watt fixtures.

I like the 600 watt HID because they are the most efficient when considering light produced for the power consumed. They give decent spread and he could even look at dimmable ballasts. I think 400 watt lights are just a bit too small for the task at hand. If electricity or price are a concern I would go to 2 600 watt fixtures before stepping down to 400 watt fixtures.

600s are MUCH more efficient! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom