Wick Cloner: simple, cheap and effective

Re: Wick Cloner: simple, cheap, and effective

Picture update of the little ones. Well, they were little! Man, they grow like weeds! :winkyface:

09-14-09_1.JPG

09-14-09_2.JPG

09-14-09_3.JPG

I will conclude my test of the cloner here and call it a success. I will definitely be using it again in the future.

So, why haven't YOU made one yet!?!?! :scratchinghead:

I will conclude my test of the cloner here and call it a success. I will definitely be using it again in the future.

So, why haven't YOU made one yet!?!?! :scratchinghead:

Good question :scratchinghead: !!

I'm definitely going to get set up for clones next go around - it's a shame to let good genes go to waste.

Good question :scratchinghead: !!

I'm definitely going to get set up for clones next go around - it's a shame to let good genes go to waste.

It is very cheap to build and was a fun project for the day. Highly recommended for the DIY crowd.

good job on the transplant. Hope they grow well.

They seem to be taking just fine. I've been giving them sun during the day and 5500K CFL light at night. The plants are showing their personalities now. I bet the one in the back would get over 6 feet tall if I let it. I will probably make it a candidate for supercropping by topping the plant and try to clone the the removed top.

9-17-09_01.JPG

Yo man, its been a while since I've seen this thread. Your ladies are looking real nice. Your cloning set-up worked for me too. My seven are about a week behind yours. I've already had sucess with 14 out of 16 plants making it through the cloning process. I did 8 plants with 1 failure on the first run on 9/5(the ones you saw and 7 out of 8 on the second run on 9/17. They are about 15 days apart. I super cropped 5 of the 1st run and I left 2 of them alone as the internodes were alternating on the main stem. The 2nd run just started to turn from flowering to veg 2 days ago. Seems like you can tell when they start vegging as they start to turn real green. I seemed to get roots after 9 to 11 days in the cloning set up. I was real nervous using the spoon to get clones out of the pearlite but it works great. Also you were right, The internodes are very close together. When I topped them each plant has 4 to 6 shoots popping out. I'm just waiting for my main grow to finish up so I can put these 7 girls in the main growing room. Trichromes on my main grow are getting milky with amber color just starting to turn. Hopefully another week and time to harvest. Soon these girls will be in there rocking too. I will use this cloning set up from now on. FYI I used tin foil instead of the plastic bag to cover my light and it actually works better.

Sweet, Ray Gunn. Here is how my babies look tonight. I topped the one and it is in the cloner right now. I'm even trying to clone a leaf only. It seems to be working.

23-09-2009_04.jpg

23-09-2009_05.jpg

23-09-2009_06.jpg

23-09-2009_07.jpg

23-09-2009_08.jpg

23-09-2009_09.jpg

Just an FYI, these clones were given to a fellow grower for breeding. Miss them, but onward for me.

Thanks for the props Norman. I didn't invent this, but I definitely promote it. You can use tap water so it is practically impossible to get unwanted fungal or algal growth. You do need to get black spray paint for plastics though as you won't find the containers in a truly opaque color. It is easy to drill clean holes in the plastic, so that makes up for it.

Update: It has been at least 4 weeks since I put in a cutting and a single leaf with a petiole length of maybe an inch into the cloner. They did get razor cuts in the stems and I did use rooting gel, but they have only been on tap water since run through a Brita.

illumination has been with a low K warm color CFL that is only 10 watts. Bulb is about 12 inches above cutting on a 24/0 cycle. Note how they are still healthy but have not grown in height. They are in a hibernation like state, growing oh so slowly. Roots will be checked soon.

2009-10-21_01.jpg

2009-10-21_02.jpg

2009-10-21_03.jpg

2009-10-21_04.jpg

I wonder if a bit of nutes would change that? Not suggesting anything... just wondering.

Cheers!

Sorry that I did not clarify myself. I can see now how you thought that I was disappointed by the growth but that was actually a desirable goal.

We don't always want the plants to finish in the fastest time. When flower rooms are full or whatever reason you cannot go when the cuttings root, you can buy yourself maybe a couple of weeks for your situation to improve. I appreciate anything that gives me options and putting plants into stasis is a great option. There is a page on CannaStats that explains how to put mother plants also into a stasis state. It can be done with 12 hours of light a day too so you use less energy. The trick is to not have the mother have 12 hours of UNINTERRUPTED dark periods. So, they put the lights (preference for floros here) on a timer with an 11 hour period and then three more 20 minute light periods spaced roughly equally apart in the dark period. Here is the link to that...

CannaStats - Low Maintenance Mothering

So now we can make the plants bend more to our time table rather than the other way around! ;)

I have some cool pics to show everyone. I will post them tonight. You would not believe the roots I found on the one leaf I stuck in the cloner. Tons of roots. The real cutting has a root that has gone to the other side of the cloner and shot it down into the water stored in the bottom of the cloner. It has to be at least 8 inches long by now.

These grew under a 10 watt CFL several inches above them 24/0 and only filtered tap water. Truly amazing.

Back
Top Bottom