Would anyone mind helping me figure out the perfect set up for Afghan Kush Ryder? new

rancidncoke

I'm planning on growing my own medicine, and I'm new with this strain, and grow ops in general.. I know a lot of people won't take the time to read this or help but I'd really appreciate it. I'm not completely daft though, I do know part of the basics, I can distinguish male/female, I basically need a cheap DIY grow system from stage to stage, and information and steps to get the best outta my plant, and not stress her out causing her to herm or anything.. I've also heard that Auto flowering and ryder plants have a hard time with nutrients and require about half, and I'm just now learning about this molasses thing.. would anyone be kind enough to help a noob out? lol.. plus most strains have different requirements and I can't find too much on AKR, so I figured I'd ask somewhere people have more than likely had experience with it and know what I should do and will be able to steer me in the right direction if I fuck up.. please and thank you!!

Re: would anyone mind helping me figure out the perfect set up for Afghan Kush Ryder?

Hello mate without meaning to be rude get a good book and read it to death! try really hard to digest every thing then you will have a really good start. other then the cost of the book knowledge costs nothing. i will be happy to help you, if you want a cheap DIY set up then build small wooden box or use a old cabinet ect.. and use cfl's (compact fluorescent lights) to save money. let me know if you have any specific questions. This is the best book in my opinion: Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible [Book] by Jorge Cervantes in Books

Re: would anyone mind helping me figure out the perfect set up for Afghan Kush Ryder?

thanks, that's even better! lol, idk why I didn't think of buying a book, I swear I've heard his name before as well, then again I'm quite medicated at the moment haha, again I really appreciate the recommendation :)

Hey rancid! I would suggest these thing's to get you started.....

First determine your budget of what you can spend, what area you will be growing in (room, cabinet, tent, pc?), and what style of growing you are going to do (hydro, soil, organic soil, soilless...other)

Once you know your budget, size of grow area, and grow style.... look around here at 420magazine for other's using the same growing style and techniques and read there journals...front to back... write down any questions that you have, and then start searching for those answers... do this for a good month, a few hours a day, and you will have a flawless plan that should lead you into success.

For example.... I knew I wanted to grow, never done it before and didn't know where to start.... I spend 3 months before even buying anything.... researching, reading, studying all about growing cannabis, different styles, lighting types and importance, etc.... and by the time I was ready to grow, I spend 1600$, bought a killer grow set up by piecing together items I found on craigslist (saved me a good 1000$ or more) and my first grow ended up with over 1lb of top quality nug. A little understanding goes a long way with growing.... figure out your goals, and the path will develop itself in front of your eyes...

Everything you need to know about growing is here on 420magazine? Look around and be prepared to get addicted to growing :)

ahh right on, thanks for the advice, I've been researching for a while, a lil here and there over the years, but I've always been more of a smoker (medicinally of course, I found marijuana much more effective than zoloft and valium). so far I've learned quite a bit, having a bit of trouble finding certain info on the strain I wanna cultivate, but I'm sure I'll find an answer, or break its genetics down and see successful grows with its ancestors... hmmm.. seems your advice is sinking in! thanks again! especially the craigslist idea, how the hell did I forget craigslist existed? lol

ahh right on, thanks for the advice, I've been researching for a while, a lil here and there over the years, but I've always been more of a smoker (medicinally of course, I found marijuana much more effective than zoloft and valium). so far I've learned quite a bit, having a bit of trouble finding certain info on the strain I wanna cultivate, but I'm sure I'll find an answer, or break its genetics down and see successful grows with its ancestors... hmmm.. seems your advice is sinking in! thanks again! especially the craigslist idea, how the hell did I forget craigslist existed? lol

So lets get the ball rolling for you....if you can answer these questions, I am pretty sure all of us at 420 can help point ya in the right direction.

What size area are you working with to grow in? (a full room, corner shelf, tent grow)

Will you be building a grow area, using a tent, growing outdoors?

How much money would you like to invest for your startup grow?

How many plants do you plan on growing?

Do you plan on a growing area with a veg area and flower area, or doing full cycle in 1 area?

Do you have a goal as to how much bud you would like to produce, and how frequently?

Will you be using soil, hydroponics, or other?

-----------------------------------------

Answer these questions for us, and we should be able to help you narrow down your search for equipment for your grow area.

I'm thinking of using my closet, it's about 3ft8in long and 1ft10in from door to wall, I could probably knock the wall out a little to add room, it has a perfect place for a hole to be sawed and fan added, but I'm thinking it may be too compact for the plant to branch out, I would like to do it indoors, as I don't trust this area too much.. lol

money isn't really too much of a factor, I could space out getting materials, $400 would be a good price and I'd be able to get everything ready faster, but I'm willing and able to invest more!

I'm planning on growing 3, if they all germinate

I'd like to have seperate areas, I'm thinking the closet could be used for vegging and either build a cupboard to use for flowering, or something of that nature, I've read up on the properties of HID lights and HPS for flowering and MH for vegging, or used in tandem but I might try CFL for my first grow

I'd like to at least produce 100g per plant, I'd be happy with 80 honestly though, the seeds I'm using are said to produce 100-150g, but I'm not getting my hopes too high for the first time

annd lastly I'm still indecisive on hydroponics or soil, I'd like to use hydroponics so I can control every aspect of the nutrients, and I'm a quick learner, especially when I'm interested but the different ratios and hearing that autoflowering plants aren't so keen on fertilization, I'm kind of afraid to mess something up, I've been reading about the Lucas formula as well (which I'm still reading)

2 other questions....how much vertical height do you have in your closet? And does this have to be stealth?

ah those were very helpful as well, and I have right at eight feet vertical height, and stealth isn't an issue

I should be replying faster but I keep zoning out on all this information lol

As far as your lighting, I can't really comment on cfl, because I have never used them for growing, but I have seen a lot of very nice buds grown under cfl. They are cheap to buy, run on a little electricity, but you need a lot of them if you want to reach 80-100g per plant unless you incorporate some training methods to fit your plants to the lower intensity lighting (cfl). If using CFL to reach that yield goal, look into Topping, FIM, LST and check into SCRog growing. These methods will help you create more bud sites for fat cola's to grow, as well as help shape your plants to even out the canopy for the lower intensity CFL lighting. Check out the lighting section here for idea's of DIY cfl setups or browse some of the members journals.

If you decide to "invest" in HID lighting, check out our site sponsor JD Lighting, who is running a special on a really nice 600w dimmable ballast/bulbs and most of what you need, minus the duct and fan. If you plan on eventually expanding, or building a flowering area, I definitely would look into HID lights, they penetrate thick canopy's and really the rule of thumb is the more light, the more bud :) The only drawbacks with HID lighting is yes, they will add significantly to your electric bill and also, they do generate quite a bit of heat, so a vent and fan system is usually needed.

I am an organic/natural soil grower, and have never done hydroponics so I can't really comment there. However, for nutrients, we have a sponsor Blue Planet Nutrients, tons and tons of growers on this forum use it, and I always see phenomenal results. I think they have products for both hydro and soil, but you would have to check :) There prices are really reasonable too :)

I personally have used mixtures of different lines to get what I want out of them....(combos of EarthJuice, General Organics, Advanced Nutrients and others) and achieved good results. You could take the best nutrient made from most top materials and either grow a super duper killer crop...... or you can kill the living ish out of the crop... nutrients are only part of the whole formula, just like lighting...

You want to keep your temps usually around 70-75 degrees if possible, and you definitely are in the warning area above 83-85F so proper ventilation is needed. You want to have a good air exchange in your growing area, so its good to have some kind of intake fan or ducting, as well as some type of extraction fan. Depending on if smell is an issue, you may want to look into a carbon scrubber. Plant's in veg really aren't too bad, but once you hit mid to late flower, you better have some type of odor system in place or you will definitely know where the party is at :) Humidity is also big with growing...in veg you should be in the range of 40-60% RH and when in flowering, you want to be able to keep the humidity below 55-60% because anything above that and your asking for mold and mildew issues. The ideal setup would allow for a steady temp and RH day and night with less than a 10 degree change between dark and light periods.

You are going to want to make sure when it come's time to flower, that your growing area is sealed for darkness, NO light leaks. This is very important that your grow area is completely sealed from light during the dark period, or you may induce hermies and stressed plants. As far as your lighting and dark cycle it is debatable what to use for growing... many growers start seeds and clones under 24/0 lighting and gradually decrease it to 18/6 for the remainder of the veg period. To induce flowering, most cannabis plants need 12 hours of un-interrupted darkness to flower, so 12/12 lighting schedule is the most common. There are also other methods of light schedule manipulation called the Gas Lamp Routine, but for your first grow, I would suggest sticking to the standard 18/6 and 12/12 until your familiar and comfortable with your plants.

Regardless of what type of growing your doing...water is important and water quality is also important. You definitely should get a digital PH meter and PPM meter...for soil they are not as important as for hydro, but very usefull tools to keep an eye on feedings. Also, look at your water quality that you are using... the higher the PPM, the less controll you have over available nutrients so keep that in mind... if your using city water...you have to let it sit out for a day to let chlorine's evaporate... I chose to get a Reverse Osmosis system because I like to exactly control my feedings, and not have the 350ppm of unknowns in there... :)

Well I think I have given ya a good start to things.... hopefully other's will chime in and help you with hydro, cfl growing and anything else that we can :)

ah this is perfect help! after a bit more research I've decided to stick with soil, I really can't thank you enough for your advice! :thanks:

Your welcome man... I would recommend once you start getting everything set up... start a grow journal here, and you will start getting help from all kinds of growers... as long as you do the research first :) With the grow journals it will help you share your grow with others as well as pick up all kinds of tips and tricks along the way.

With soil I do have experience so I will should be able to help you with that... I strongly would encourage you to look into doing organic soil.... Blue planet nutrients makes an excellent organic line that for the price I would strongly recommend. Look into things like soil amendments and try to stay away from mericle grow type crap and "build" your own healthy soil mixture...

Start with a good soil base like Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, or some other well known brands... roots is another one..

get yourself some worm casings, greensand or lavasand, some bat guano's, perlite, and humus and read into soil mixtures for the right ratio's. Also look into Mychorrizae and root innoculants, very good for mixing into your soil. Take a peek into my grow journals and there is a ton of information about soil mixtures and ratios... the current journal may be a little much for a new grower, I'm experimenting with soil remineralization but I would encourage you to check it out :) You will learn a lot :)

I'll definitely check it out, and I was actually watching a Jorge Cervantes video which got me thinking about 'building' my own soil, your journals should be extremely beneficial :D I'm glad you listed that and the brands, I'd like to keep it all organic, and I'm excited about starting a grow journal :D

Back
Top Bottom