Yellowed, and now some spots

Okay, first off, I'm back after almost 2 decades of not growing. Needless to say, things have changed. Namely, I decided to grow hydro this time. I have a problem after 2 weeks of bringing home my first GDP Baby. Pics posted below. I have noticed that I am getting some yellowing and this morning, I have found a few brown spots that look to me like (N) burning. But since I am used to soil, but wanted to try hydro, dunno if this is really the case. Your honest help would be appreciated. Thank you

Now the info:
Strain Grand Daddy Purple
pH Runoff 6.2
Nutes FloraNova 1.25ml/L
N-P-K 7-4-10
Delivery drip 3x/day 15min Ea (lights on only)
Medium GroDan Rockwool
Lights 18/6 T5 6500k

1001110911151.jpg

1004111755021.jpg

1001110910591.jpg

1001110910201.jpg

Re: Yellowed, and now some spots.

Drop ph to 5.8 and only water at max twice a day...almond you have airstones in your Rez and how often do u do a Rez change....all of those could be contributing factors

Re: Yellowed, and now some spots.

Drop ph to 5.8 and only water at max twice a day...almond you have airstones in your Rez and how often do u do a Rez change....all of those could be contributing factors

As per response above, I have already dropped pH to 5.8
Rez change 1x/week
what did you mean "almond you have airstones"? that makes no sense.

Darn! I'm not up on hydro, but I have a decent amount of experience growing GDP. Is this a genuine GDP clone?

Looks like a cal/mag definciency to me. Not sure how to advise on fix because I grow in soil too. (Air Pots)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Re: yellow leaves ugh, need help please

I also agree on the cal/mag... Hope it helps...

Re: yellow leaves ugh, need help please

Usually a Cal Mag deficency shows the veins of the plants dark or bright green, with the leaves yellowing. I may be wrong but I have had this problem due to overfertlizing (too much nutes) I may be wrong but try backing off the nutes a bit. Some plants require little or no nutes.

okay... Since last post, after lowering pH to 5.8, I gave it a few days and noticed a little more yellowing... I checked the pH again, and it was up to 7.8. I immediately broke down my whole system after removing the babies, washed everything in a vinegar bath to remove any precipitation (and there was some in the pan) rinsed everything off, flushed the babies with clear water and re-assembled. Balanced new nutes to 5.5, flushed the squares again before placing them back in the pan and filled the system. I know it's not recommended, but I was trouble shooting, so I turned the pumps on, opened up the flow and let it run for about 5 minutes flushing the rest through. After the 5min, I ran some of the nute supply from a bubbler into a shot glass. Calibrated my pH meter just in case. 7.0 solution read 7.0 and 2.4 for the vinegar. placed it in the shot glass It read 5.6. Dumped shot glass to waste, refilled 5.6. did it again to be SURE the reading was accurate, 5.6.

before all that, what would be the cause of going from 5.8 to 7.8 in 2 days?

We'll see where it is tomorrow, and I'll post it here.

For all those that are reading this and learning as I do, this is a pic of how much nutrient lockout can hurt your plants- and it can get worse! I'm hoping she can recover from my messing up.
IMG_24303.JPG

A couple of things is light in some way hitting your nutrients.....did you ph balance ro water to 5.8 before mixing nuts? What kind of nuts are you using and at what strength Ll of those can be factors...

GUNK IN THE LINES~~ I remembered this evening while watching the nutrient solution coming from the drippers, I noticed that the flow was wrong, and then slowed to almost a stop. So I stopped my wallowing in sorrow for not knowing why my pH levels were so erratic,and realized that with my system clean, I FORGOT TO CLEAN AND SANITIZE THE SUPPLY LINES!! So I broke the system down ***AGAIN*** and cleaned the whole thing, tub, res, pump, drainage, and supply lines. OMG, the amount of brown, filmy gunk that washed out was alarming.

System cleaned and sanitized, I again mixed new nutes, assembled and filled the system, removed the now dead leaves, and am hoping for the best. She looks thin now with the haircut, but just look at all the little new growth underneath!

More tomorrow.

One Question, though. Where the hell did that come from? It looked like a brown algae had grown in my system supply lines. How do I avoid this gunk, whatever it was?

1004111755021.jpg

You need black lines to stop algae from growing. Any light thru the lines will allow algae.

What is the source of your water? If it is public water and you don't pH adjust down you will have a high pH. I believe the rock wool also makes for a high pH.

On the road to recovery

You need black lines to stop algae from growing. Any light thru the lines will allow algae.

What is the source of your water? If it is public water and you don't pH adjust down you will have a high pH. I believe the rock wool also makes for a high pH.
Honestly, Kline, do you read the post, and look at the pictures before posting a reply?? Or, do you just respond to the title and two or three words in a post? This is your second reply with questions that could have been answered if you had read the first post completely, and taken a look at the pictures.

1) If you had looked at all the pictures - you will see black lines.

2) I am using Distilled Water.

3) . . . . . . . Rockwool is inert (Non reactive) and will not change the pH (up or down)if treated beforehand with 5.5 pH solution and let drain to waste when rinsing.

Do you think about and help research the problem for what you're posting as help or just pull stuff out of the air?

I have since switched out for all fake nutes. The flora nova was settling out, and also had an organic component that was causing the instability of the whole solution. I now use Jungle Juice Grow/Micro/Flower 3-part nutes. We'll see where we are tomorrow after the re-re-sterilization, and nutrient switch.

No further yellowing is observed after the second cleaning and sterilization, I'm just taking a second step to ensure a more stable nutrient supply. Hopefully we'll see some strength and growth out of the little ones, and from the GDP in front.
100511223006.jpg
100511222954.jpg

A Light at the end of the tunnel :thumb:

So I get home today after a long day of silent worry to find that with this small 5L reservoir, the pH had only gone up .8 to 6.3. A little pH down, and that takes care of that. No 2.8 point jump that had come to expect from this small of a system. It seems that the GH FloraNova was the culprit of all the brown film in the lines, and radical shifts in pH due to settling and organic material break-down. I am proud to announce that there has been a 2cm increase in height and a .5mm increase in stalk diameter in two days. Fingers crossed hoping for some better stability throughout this week. Still gonna watch that pH like a hawk, though.

No more degradation in plant health has been observed in any way. No new discoloration, and all light green spots have returned to normal. As expected, all yellowed leaves needed removal and did not return to health. With the health decline arrested, and the new growth in the past two days, I fully expect the plant to return to full health in a few days to a week. Through careful maintenance of the pH and nutrient balance, full recovery and production of clones should be little problem in a month, maybe two depending on how rapidly strength gains and growth happens.

Still holding off on the celebration but still I can't help but let out a tiny :yahoo:"Wahoo!":yahoo: at the success seen from effecting a remedy.

100611173543.jpg

It has been over 48 hours since I switched nutirent brands and, so far the variations is pH have been more manageable, and stay within uptake rage throughout the day. For a res this small, (5L) I lower pH to ~5.3 and it rises to ~5.9 (+~.6) in 24 hours. not too bad for that small of a res, I think.

New Growth observed, 1cm taller today so I topped her; I think she's strong enough to handle that. Base is now .5cm thick and showing signs of "wood" and overall height is 16cm tall. Pre-flowers have shown up all over this little girl- 18 in total for a 15cm plant. . . .dayumm. . . . I also have noticed that with the lockout, when she started getting nutes again, she started "bushing". Very agreeable to what I'm wanting her for as I'm oping to donor cuttings and clone new plants from her.

All-in-all I'm happy she's getting better. Not 100% yet, but well on the way.

Not a bad start, I think for my first hydro clone.

100711223019.jpg

100711223945.jpg

Strain Grand Daddy Purple
pH Runoff 6.2
Nutes FloraNova 1.25ml/L
N-P-K 7-4-10
Delivery drip 3x/day 15min Ea (lights on only)
Medium GroDan Rockwool
Lights 18/6 T5 6500k

UPDATE:
Strain: Genuine GDP
Nutes: CHANGED Advanced Nutrients JungleJuice Grow/Micro/Bloom 3-part mix during recovery I'm using "Cuttings & Seedlings" Schedule from their website
Water: CHANGED 3x/day 5min Ea (Lights on only)
Medium: GroDan Rockwool
Light: T5 Cool White
Cycle: 18/6

Extra Notes.

The above nutrient schedule is a bit confusing. I have done the math and here are the rates per gallon.

the above rates are on a 100L Schedule.
33mL per 100L = .33mL per 1L
1Gal = 3.78L
.33mL x 3.78L = 1.247mL
1.25mL per Gallon
- OR -
1.0mL = 0.20288tsp
1.247mL x 0.20288tsp = 0.25299136tsp
1/4tsp per Gallon

I have a 5L res.
5L / 3.78 = 1.322751322751323
5L = 1-1/3Gal

I go the easy way and mix 2 gal and just fill the res and reserve the other 2/3Gal for next week.

I'll break down the others as I increase the strength next week.

A picture of returning health. 17cm tall 6mm at base! I'll be going up to the next step in the schedule...

Now the math.

It seems that the outlink of the nutrient schedule has vanished, so....
jungle_juice_mixing_instructions_bg.jpg

The next step calls for 132mL of EACH for the General Purpose-Mild

as these rates are for a 100L Schedule, I will break it down per Liter, then convert it to Gallon for those that are too bad at math to easily figure it out......... or too baked.

132(mL)/100(L) = 1.32(mL)
so:
1.32mL/1L
1Gal=3.78L
1.32 x 3.78 = 4.9896
5mL per Gallon
- OR -
1.0mL = 0.20288tsp
5(mL) x 0.20288(tsp) = 1.0144(tsp)
1tsp per Gallon

As this seems to me to be quite a jump from Cuttings & Seedling schedule, I will add it this week to the weaker nutrient mix in the res and next week go to the full strength mix.

After that, in 2 weeks I will gradually go up to the Vegetative Stage in the Schedule as I don't want to shock the recovering plant. I'll do the math, then.

New pics below. Note that the top leaves look a little yellow in the bottom 2 pics. They're not, that's just how this android camera picked it up as the light from above shone through.

100911072714.jpg
100911072703.jpg
100911072652.jpg

Been on the new nutrient schedule for 24 hours now, No signs of (N) burn yet, but still watching closely for the next week or two as I slowly increase to full strength of step 2 above in the chart. Overall diameter +3 to 22cm, height +1 to 18cm, base, no change. She seems to be working at regaining health and filling out again after losing 12 leaves to pH imbalance. No new growth yet at the topping scar, but it's healed over nicely and a very deep purple has shown up throughout the inner stems and at the hub of the leaf groups. Dunno if that's just part of the way a GDP is, or if that's a sign of more going wrong. If someone could comment on this part it'd be great that way I can react accordingly.

[personal note] I think that I enjoy the hydro grow process more than soil. I find that I'm doting over my little girl, making sure she has her every need satisfied. Much more hands on and intensive than a plain soil grow. Is that why people say it's complicated; Simply, because of the necessity of about 1-2 hours a night to make sure everything is right? pshhh.... I enjoy it. But I like growing, too, sooooo..... yeah.....

Any way, NEW PIC TIME! (Comments welcome - encouraged, in fact.)

101111181341.jpg

Sorry, I had to add this one in... PreFlower Proof Positive. IT'S A GIRL!!!

101111183606.jpg

Back
Top Bottom