Yellowing leaves & trimming

Tarek N

If an individual large fan leaf goes not totally yellow but a lighter shade than the others do you have to trim it? How much do you trim in general? I mean you need fan leaves but you also want light to get to bud sites....

If an individual large fan leaf goes not totally yellow but a lighter shade than the others do you have to trim it? How much do you trim in general? I mean you need fan leaves but you also want light to get to bud sites....
Hey @Tarek N how are you doing?
If a leaf on one of my girls is fading or blocking a bud site I just leave it.
If you have an issue with a leaf and you remove it I find the issue just spreads .
If you remove it the issue just travels to the next leaf or branch. So I don't touch it.
I find if I let my girls mature any buds not in direct light still fill and mature as well. So I don't fuss or pick at them. Hope that helps.
Bill

Yellowing fan leaves is natural process called Senescence.

Fan leaves have a different life cycle than the plant. They store energy for the plant to use later in life for seed/flower production. Leaving the leaf there the plant will Translocate stored nutrients from the fan leaf to the plant.

As the senescence process is going on, the chlorophyll is one of the first nutrients to be translocated. Chlorophyll is an energy source for the plant - it what gives the leaf its green color. Some chlorophyll gets stored in the fan leaves for later uptake as the leaf gets older.

This is what you see when the leaves turn yellow and its a good thing.

Yellowing fan leaves is natural process called Senescence.

Fan leaves have a different life cycle than the plant. They store energy for the plant to use later in life for seed/flower production. Leaving the leaf there the plant will Translocate stored nutrients from the fan leaf to the plant.

As the senescence process is going on, the chlorophyll is one of the first nutrients to be translocated. Chlorophyll is an energy source for the plant - it what gives the leaf its green color. Some chlorophyll gets stored in the fan leaves for later uptake as the leaf gets older.

This is what you see when the leaves turn yellow and its a good thing.
As usual your post is concise and informative. @bobrown14
Excellent explanation
Bill

Back
Top Bottom