Yellowing leaves

Chuckle

420 Member
Hoping one of you clever folks might be able to help me with my plant health problems.

I run a recirculating system. Plants sit in the top tub and the water runs to the reservoir on the bottom.

DSC03757_zpsala3z25k.png

Recently however, I have had a few pump issues. I spoke to a mate that grows using bubble pots. His plants are permanently suspended in water with an air stone running in it. I did some research and it appeared to be a great way of growing.

So I pulled my system apart and put some pvc uplift pipes in the top tubs. ,Now the top tubs that house the plants are now about half full of water. I have an air blower (lp-60) pumping into 2 airstones in each tub. There is a ton of air running 24/7.

Since I have changed this system slightly I have the following problems with the leaves.

DSC03772_zpsiqa4rnvb.png

These are 4 different plants.
From left to right... first is unknown, money maker, cheesus and white widow.

Ph ranges from 5.3-6. CD readings are usually between 1.8 and maybe as high as 2.4 using Canna Flores.
Temps are quite high as its summer and I guess temps 35 degrees

Basically the only thing I have changed recently is adding the standpipes so the roots sit in water. I'm wondering if this bubble system is not really a good way to grow and thats the cause.
Another possibility I was considering is, I buy my canna by 20 litre drums and this usually lasts me 6 months or so. I'm about half way through it so far but I dont shake the drum every time. I was thinking that maybe the different nutrient makeup settle at different spots in the drum and that it may actually be a nutrient deficiency caused by not shaking things up? Its wierd that this has just started to happen after years of doing this the same.
Any advice on what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

What stage Is your plant in? It may be old leaves dying off. The plant will suck the nutrients out of the leaves before dropping them. Therefore turning yellow. It's a natural process for some strains. Hopefully you can add a picture and I'm sure you will get a proper prognosis.

Ok so I assume that
suspending the root system in well oxygenated water is ok and that's not the problem?
The lights atm are about 500mm or about 20 inches from the plants. Direct light heat I dont think is a problem. Maybe the tent heat as a whole?
Assuming I have messed up by not shaking the nutrient bottle my next question and is probably the harder one..
I have obviously depleted one nutrient out of my jug but what am I now short on? And seeing as I still have 10 litres left, how do I fix the problem without discarding 200 dollars of nutrients?

I was reading this great link and iron deficiency looks to closely resemble my problem?

Is there anyone that can recommend a product that I can add to my Canna water changes to increase my Iron? It sort of makes sense that iron would sink and therefore got used up first and maybe the shortage. Maybe a homemade remedy? Or should I just dump the 10 liters of Canna I have and start from fresh?

Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom