Yet Another Nube Grow Journal

Yesterday my band's rehearsal got called because two of the guys had to work. Idle hands - devil's playmates and all. The plants were very bushy - I could not see down through more than a half of the way to lollypop land, and could not see through the brush more than a few inches in when viewed from the sides. The ladies are 3 weeks since changing to a 12-12 lighting schedule. Did a bit of reading and decided it might be time for a final nip and tuck. Out came the scissors. I cut most of the large lower fan leaves - up to about half way between the lollypop level and the canopy. After that I was more choosy - mostly cutting away those leaves masking promising flowering potential. Hope I was not too severe! Here's a picture after the surgery.

Shouldn’t be a problem but I’m no expert. I just cleaned my lone plant on day 29 of flower (yesterday) and like you I worry I’ll do harm but so far she looks fine!

D20F5C22-09D2-4FB5-A890-0D19E57D1D31.jpeg

0F93D795-FD64-4467-9756-55EAF6B58EAF.jpeg

Thanks SC22! Some nice looking flowers.

Everything seems to be doing just fine. The plants seemed to shrug off the pruning I did and look quite healthy. Here's a picture from today:

Last week I ordered a USB microscope/camera from AmScope. One of the things I knew was going to be a problem was to be able to hold the microscope steadily in position inside the tent. So I used the base for an SM57 microphone clip and attached it to a piece of 1.5-inch PVC pipe (actually a 1.5-inch coupler). The camera is held within the PVC with sets of centering screws. The whole shebang is then put on the end of a decent microphone stand. Here are pictures of the camera followed by the camera holder I made:

I decided to try it out this afternoon. Here are a couple pictures of a leaf - front and back:

And finally a developing flower.

For feeding I now give full-strength nutrients as recommended by the Fox Farms Soil Grow Schedule along with 5ml of CalMagic per gallon I alternate that with a mostly water feeding (just water + CalMagic). It seems to take about five days for the pots to dry out. I'm coming up on the beginning of week four (on Monday) since changing to a 12-12 hour lighting schedule.

Thanks SC22! Some nice looking flowers.

Everything seems to be doing just fine. The plants seemed to shrug off the pruning I did and look quite healthy. Here's a picture from today:

Last week I ordered a USB microscope/camera from AmScope. One of the things I knew was going to be a problem was to be able to hold the microscope steadily in position inside the tent. So I used the base for an SM57 microphone clip and attached it to a piece of 1.5-inch PVC pipe (actually a 1.5-inch coupler). The camera is held within the PVC with sets of centering screws. The whole shebang is then put on the end of a decent microphone stand. Here are pictures of the camera followed by the camera holder I made:

I decided to try it out this afternoon. Here are a couple pictures of a leaf - front and back:

And finally a developing flower.

For feeding I now give full-strength nutrients as recommended by the Fox Farms Soil Grow Schedule along with 5ml of CalMagic per gallon I alternate that with a mostly water feeding (just water + CalMagic). It seems to take about five days for the pots to dry out. I'm coming up on the beginning of week four (on Monday) since changing to a 12-12 hour lighting schedule.
Neat gadget to hold the microscope, Sleep!

Trying to hold one steady by hand is a lose-lose proposition for me.

Plants looking really nice, man. :Rasta:

Today was feed day, as determined by lifting the front-center pot. My last feed was three gallons total across all three plants - of which 1/2 gallon ran off to the bottom of the tent. So today I kept the feed under three gallons. This feed was the "alternate" feed where I just give water and a cal-mag supplement. I'm so glad this journal has been so boring. Everything looks pretty good to my uninformed but very loving gaze. Here's a shot of the total grow area in my basement:

So I'm just past four weeks since flipping to 12-12 lighting schedule. Here's my brightest star so far...

Happy Memorial Day! Last week Friday was feed day. I mixed up a three-gallon batch that included (per gallon) 15ml of Fox Farms (=FF) Big Bloom, 10ml of FF Grow Big, 10ml of FF Tiger Bloom, and 5ml of GH CalMagic. The mix tested out at pH=5.4, which was a bit less than I wanted. I'd looked at a few charts regarding pH and nutrient uptake so decided to try a bit higher pH than last time. So I added 25ml of pH UP to the three gallon mix to get it to pH=6.4 and then watered. I watered slowly and stopped when I noticed runoff. I had just a little over 1/2 gallon left at that point. So today I added that half gallon split amongst the three plants. I've also been moving the light (HGL 1000Rspec) around the tent a bit. On Saturday I moved it to hover over the back right corner, and today I moved it back to center. Here's a picture of the tent taken today.

Just looking in on the ladies today. Checked the humidity and as I expected, now that the weather here has decided it wants to be summer for a day or two, the humidity has gone up in the tent - to around 78%. Does anyone use one of the very small dehumidifiers in their grow tent? I've seen a couple of 1-pint dehumidifiers for sale at around $50 or so and wondering if I should buy one? As added information - I plan to dry the weed post-harvest in the tent as well. The tent is in the basement which stays pretty cool. I have a medium sized dehumidifier down there to keep things dry during the summer (otherwise the floor sweats). So I'll see how that does over the next 24 hours. Anyhoo - first up, a picture of the tent as of today - 5 weeks and 3 days since flipping to 12-12 lighting.

Here's a picture of a trichome from one of the buds at 200x. Sure this isn't a boy? ;^)

And a couple more

They look pretty clear but I do see some beginning to get a bit hazy. Still have some time.

Neat gadget to hold the microscope, Sleep!

Trying to hold one steady by hand is a lose-lose proposition for me.

Plants looking really nice, man. :Rasta:
Thanks! Sadly while that contraption works pretty well the microphone stand it connects to shakes like a bouncy house full of kids.

Okay - last minute call took me away from the house so feeding was delayed until today. This is the light-nute feed that I alternate with full-strength feed. So only water and 5ml of CalMagic suppliment per gallon, a bit less than three gallons total between the three plants (one seven gallon and two five gallon fabric pots). Nothing else to mention, really, other than the dehumidifier rocks, keeping the rel. humidity to around 48-54%. Here they are from today

Today I began what will shortly be my second grow journal. I'd ordered a bunch of seeds from Weedseed Express, received them in good time despite the post office delivering to the wrong address :rolleyes:. Here are the seeds for my next grow - Chocolope feminized seeds, very heavy 95/5 Sativa strain. I put the seeds in a small glass of distilled water, left them for 12 hours by which time they had all fallen to the bottom of the glass. My wife mixed up her usual mix of 4 parts premium leafgrow, 2 parts peat moss, 1 part vermiculite and one part pearlite. I sterilized the soil in 1-quart batches in the microwave for 2.5 minutes each, then placed in some plastic 1-quart containers with holes drilled in their bottoms. I then added filtered tap water to moisten the soil (pH=7.6 - I know, kinda high). The seeds were then put about 1/2 inch below surface and the pots lightly sprayed again. Pictures or it didn't happen...

Meanwhile, back in the BIg Tent - the ladies seem quite happy and completely oblivious to my dastardly plans. Muuu aaaa hahaha!

Sleepy

Okay - so it has been nine weeks since flipping to 12/12 hour lighting. Here are a couple flower closeups.

From what I've read here it seems they may have a couple weeks left? Expert opinion is welcomed!

Meanwhile the younger plants ( 4x Chocolope ) are jumping up! So far these plants have been mostly outdoors. I'm waiting until the tent is available after drying the crop that's currently in there. I've been out of town for a while at my brother's place in MI so have not posted here much in the past couple weeks. But while in MI I went to my first dispensary. Wow! Anyhow - they next generation:

Feed day way yesterday. Previous feed, administered by my spouse unit while I was away, was just water and CalMag. This time was full nutrients regimen as suggested by Fox Farms (using their nutes). Here are a few pictures - they are now nine and a half weeks into 12-12 lighting. While most of the pistels have turned orange/brown there are still some new white ones appearing. The trichomes on the buds are almost all still white though a few amber ones are beginning to show up. From that observation I'm guessing (GUESSING!) they're still more than a week from harvest. Anyone care to offer a more informed guess?

The family portrait:

Three close-ups of flowers"

Finally, perhaps a developing problem. Some leaves are showing yellow spots like this one:

I need to look up what it might be - nutrient burn? Using a 60x loupe I do not see any bugs.

As always, appreciate suggestions!

Sleepy

Feed day way yesterday. Previous feed, administered by my spouse unit while I was away, was just water and CalMag. This time was full nutrients regimen as suggested by Fox Farms (using their nutes). Here are a few pictures - they are now nine and a half weeks into 12-12 lighting. While most of the pistels have turned orange/brown there are still some new white ones appearing. The trichomes on the buds are almost all still white though a few amber ones are beginning to show up. From that observation I'm guessing (GUESSING!) they're still more than a week from harvest. Anyone care to offer a more informed guess?

The family portrait:

Three close-ups of flowers"

Finally, perhaps a developing problem. Some leaves are showing yellow spots like this one:

I need to look up what it might be - nutrient burn? Using a 60x loupe I do not see any bugs.

As always, appreciate suggestions!

Sleepy
Your in the home stretch.
She should be eating up those fans anyway.
I wouldn't worry too much at this point as you will be harvesting soon.
Keep up the good work my friend.
Your on track for a nice haul. :bravo:
Bill

My informed opinion is that they are very close, @SleepIsWrong! :Rasta:

Excellent job!

Thanks G Daddy! So here are pictures from today. I am faced with a bit of a dilemma. I am leaving for a week-long trip to Michigan on Tuesday the 13th. Based on these photos, should I harvest just before leaving or do I have another week and a half to wait? I see lots of amber trichomes on upper sugar leaves, but not that many on the buds themselves. There are also some white pistils on most of the buds. Today is the 9th, so what do you think - harvest on the 12th and get them into drying, or wait 11 days until the 20th?

Thanks in advance to all who might advise me!

Back
Top Bottom