Your favorite place to get seeds, the ones I bought sucked!

radrichie61

OK so I’ve never bought beans before, I am a rookie so can I call ‘em beans, had never bought anywhere before, and only did my first grow last year. I felt a whole lot more comfortable buying the first time at a local smoke shop that had Catskills seeds who apparently have some type of partnership with Humboldt seeds. I was able to go and pay cash for train wreck auto, chunk a delic auto, humble poundcake photo, strawberry cheesecake photo, and big foot glue photo. I bought the Bigfoot just because of its name, L O L. They had a very small selection so some of those strains don’t even show up anywhere.

Growing season here in coastal North Carolina has already started with extremely warm abnormal weather so I started germinating and while I have not done a full-scale grow untill last year, I know how to germinate a seed, I know how to plant a seed, have done it a bunch, and well I have a undergrad and graduate degree in biology so I should be able to germinate a damn seed, I just never followed through.

So, if you want to help a rookie, tell me where you get your beans from and I’ll try to find a good second try for my growth. By the way I’m doing an outdoor grow and I only bought auto flowers because I thought what the hell let’s give them things a try.

As always, thank you!

I have not deliberately grown an auto-flower but after reading many threads talking about the best way to get one of these from seed to harvest it does sound like they are hard to grow. Definitely not as easy as the standard photo-period. I keep remembering the other threads that mention that auto-flowers are not the best for first time grows.

Maybe the seeds you bought were decent for auto-flowers but trying to adapt the usual stuff we would know about germination and transplanting to auto-flowers seems to cause a less than desired vegetative grow. Mess up the watering one time and while waiting 10 days for the root stem to recover the plant's clock keeps ticking along. Next thing and the plant is staring to flower 10 days early.

Check out the place you visited last year and give them another chance. Could consider buying a couple from them and a couple from one of the sponsors or another recommended seed cellar.

I think about getting a couple of autoflower and trying them because of, well because of they are there and I am curious about the problems others mention.

@CaliSeedStore has been good to me. Mention you're a 420 member for extra freebies. Good prices, good seeds, fast shipping. Definitely worth using one of the sponsors!
I have not deliberately grown an auto-flower but after reading many threads talking about the best way to get one of these from seed to harvest it does sound like they are hard to grow. Definitely not as easy as the standard photo-period. I keep remembering the other threads that mention that auto-flowers are not the best for first time grows.

Maybe the seeds you bought were decent for auto-flowers but trying to adapt the usual stuff we would know about germination and transplanting to auto-flowers seems to cause a less than desired vegetative grow. Mess up the watering one time and while waiting 10 days for the root stem to recover the plant's clock keeps ticking along. Next thing and the plant is staring to flower 10 days early.

Check out the place you visited last year and give them another chance. Could consider buying a couple from them and a couple from one of the sponsors or another recommended seed cellar.

I think about getting a couple of autoflower and trying them because of, well because of they are there and I am curious about the problems others mention.
They are a little touchy as seedlings, but no more so than photos, overwater or abuse and you'll delay them, that's the issue since they don't have time to recover. I would not recommend them for beginers, but for a reasonably seasoned grower, not a problem! Up pot once, you could get away with twice, IF your good at it, but I've never found it to be neccessary. Feed and water is basically the same, in fact I think they need a little more in the way of nutes, at least that's what I've observed.

So, if you want to help a rookie, tell me where you get your beans from and I’ll try to find a good second try for my growth. By the way I’m doing an outdoor grow and I only bought auto flowers because I thought what the hell let’s give them things a try.
I've had good luck with @CaliSeedStore, good prices, good selection, fast shipping, mention you're a 420 member for extra freebies. Definitly go with one of the 420 sponsors. Autoflowers are a little tricky, just make sure they get a good start and you'll be fine. I normally reserve autos for indoors, becasue they don't get so big, and can handle 24 hr light. Outdoors, I prefer photos, because (as long as your in a legal state) you don't have any height constraints and you can let them get BIG.

As a seasoned grower you should have no problems with autos. 90% of the issues with autos are abuse when they're seedlings, photos have time to recover, autos don't. Other than that not many differences, up pot once, twice if you're good at it, but I've never found it necessary. Waterinbg and nutes are about the same, in fact in my experience autos can be nutrient pigs!

Outdoors you may want to go with photos. Autos benefit from the extra light you can provide indoors. Photos will be easier to get to the finish line outside. Start them inside and get them at least 1' tall before transplanting to the outdoors. Before transplanting make sure you spend a few days hardening them off so they are ready for the elements outside and don't die right away.

Best of luck and have fun!

Regs or autos are about the same grow wise other than the short grow times of some autos. I've grown them both, several times side by side. The autos have come a long way in the past decade and I've got a few strains that are dynamite.

I'm in Southern Calif and grow year round in greenhouses and outside and it's a bit too early yet to start an outside grow. March/April is about as early as I'd start regs outside. Autos? Anytime. Just keep in mind 10-11 hour days of light in winter will not produce large buds.

My last purchase was D.C. Seeds. Both Freak Genitics and 3THIRTEEN Seeds are rocking my world😎

Regs or autos are about the same grow wise other than the short grow times of some autos. I've grown them both, several times side by side. The autos have come a long way in the past decade and I've got a few strains that are dynamite.

I'm in Southern Calif and grow year round in greenhouses and outside and it's a bit too early yet to start an outside grow. March/April is about as early as I'd start regs outside. Autos? Anytime. Just keep in mind 10-11 hour days of light in winter will not produce large buds.

My last purchase was D.C. Seeds. Both Freak Genitics and 3THIRTEEN Seeds are rocking my world😎
Thanks!

How did it go for you, do you have any pictures, how do you grow, indoors I suppose. I am strictly outdoors, no tent in my house.

I looked at my but they are expensive as hell I think.
Still thinking on it. If I do something it will be 5 or 10 seeds so I can grow more than one plant at a time to see how it reacts to any abuse I might decide to try.

Would grow a couple inside in the tent and maybe a few outside but spread them over the summer to see how they react to changes in day length and temperatures, especially in the late fall.

As a seasoned grower you should have no problems with autos. 90% of the issues with autos are abuse when they're seedlings, photos have time to recover, autos don't.
Which is why some of the group mentions that auto-flowers might not be the best way to start for new growers. Was just saying that the seeds might not have "sucked" and it could easily have been the learning curve. And that learning curve can be very vicious at times even for some of those with experience.

Dang, now I am going to be looking at a local seed seller's web page for most of the afternoon instead of taking my "retiree's nap";) .

OK so I’ve never bought beans before, I am a rookie so can I call ‘em beans, had never bought anywhere before, and only did my first grow last year. I felt a whole lot more comfortable buying the first time at a local smoke shop that had Catskills seeds who apparently have some type of partnership with Humboldt seeds. I was able to go and pay cash for train wreck auto, chunk a delic auto, humble poundcake photo, strawberry cheesecake photo, and big foot glue photo. I bought the Bigfoot just because of its name, L O L. They had a very small selection so some of those strains don’t even show up anywhere.

Growing season here in coastal North Carolina has already started with extremely warm abnormal weather so I started germinating and while I have not done a full-scale grow untill last year, I know how to germinate a seed, I know how to plant a seed, have done it a bunch, and well I have a undergrad and graduate degree in biology so I should be able to germinate a damn seed, I just never followed through.

As always, thank you!
@Herbies Seeds great prices, genetics , carry Ace and fast shipping. CL🍀

If you are growing photos and doing it outdoors, be sure you don't start them too early. You really don't want them sexually mature before the summer solstice unless you have some artificial light to keep them in veg. Don't want them trying to flower and then reveg and then reflower.

If you are growing photos and doing it outdoors, be sure you don't start them too early. You really don't want them sexually mature before the summer solstice unless you have some artificial light to keep them in veg. Don't want them trying to flower and then reveg and then reflower.
I had it happen last year with 2 Cherry Wine hemp plants. Never seen it before in 45 years but i got good cuts off a big plant and still have cuts of cuts etc😉

Why would they ever start to flower if light is increasing every day. They should just veg out. I’m putting them out about mid April and let the suckers go.

@Jon ran an unexpected experiment with that scenario, i.e. early spring with lengthening but still short days.

The conclusion I believe was quantity of light was the driving factor, not the fact that a short amount of light was increasing.

Why would they ever start to flower if light is increasing every day. They should just veg out.
It is not just the number of minutes of light but the quality. We see photoperiods start to flower in mid-August in the northern hemisphere. The period of "night" is 10 hours but the light quality of the first hour at sunrise and last hour at sunset is minimal. By the time of the fall equinox in mid-September the plant are already in full flower.

It is not like indoor growing where the lights start up and run at full power 12 hours.

Check out the LUX values for the sunrise and sunset periods and and other sky conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight

I’m putting them out about mid April and let the suckers go.
It would make a great outdoor grow journal. Photos and description of the leaves and plants from the time they go outside in mid April until early June to see what happens.

Why would they ever start to flower if light is increasing every day. They should just veg out. I’m putting them out about mid April and let the suckers go.
@Jon ran an unexpected experiment with that scenario, i.e. early spring with lengthening but still short days.

The conclusion I believe was quantity of light was the driving factor, not the fact that a short amount of light was increasing.
As photoperiod plants cannabis will flower when it recieves 12 hours of darkness or more in a 24 hour period. It is the amount of darkness the plant recieves that promps cannabis to begin flowering.

Re-vegging is giving a flowered plant more light (18-24hrs) after flowering and even after harvest and new growth should appear and the plant can be regrown or cuts taken as clones.

I have 2 greenhouses and the smaller of the two I placed lights which run 15 hours a day in the winter to keep plants in a perpetual growing or vegg state. Once I move a plant either to the lg greenhouse or outside the amount of light they recieve, 11:49 today (Sunrise and sunset times in San Diego) which will prompt them to start flowering.

If you clicked on the link you'll notice the days are becoming longer and they'll continue until June 20, the longest day of the year. Now any plant I flip to flower by moving them from the sm greenhouse to the lg or outside will flower but as soon as the days become longer than 12 hours of light the plants will eventually re-veg. I watched this happen last year and I have several plants that I will purposely allow them to reveg so I can take cuts and keep the strains going.

Indoors one can veg as little as 3-4 weeks or as long as 3-5+ months by controlling the light cycle😘

Back
Top Bottom