Your grandma's hook up

Whats up. Long time cultivator looking to update and improve my techniques, and help others with theirs. Currently I manage a large network of Caregivers and patients. We service the senior citizen, and critically ill populations as well as others. We are your grandmas hook up lol. Ask me anything. My first career was as a surgical technician, today I am a Caregiver, so helping others is what I do, it's what I love and what I'm good at so if I can help don't hesitate to ask, and if you can offer me help please HMU...Sam

Welcome Sam! :welcome:

You found a great community of very knowledgeable people here who are very open to new ideas, very into various medicinal uses and formats, and love to experiment; so you're gonna' fit right in! :high-five:

I'm 60 years old and grew my first plants outdoors in 1977. The more I try these new hybrids the more it pushes me back to the old heirlooms. Some of the new hybrids are very good but the heirlooms are time tested for stability and have effects that seem cleaner to me. Just my personal view.

I'm 60 years old and grew my first plants outdoors in 1977. The more I try these new hybrids the more it pushes me back to the old heirlooms. Some of the new hybrids are very good but the heirlooms are time tested for stability and have effects that seem cleaner to me. Just my personal view.

Absolutely. I’m the same way. Recently I started collecting the strains I lost years ago due to unfortunate circumstances and couldn’t be more excited.

We often relate certain strains to certain periods of our lives and it’s nice to take a trip down memory lane now and again :)

:goodjob::welcome:
I would love to know the older generations view on cannabis now and the results your seeing....
What I see is a sacrifice in quality, overall. We see a lot of growers only interested in making money from the industry and put in as little as possible to get a result. People see an investment opportunity, and in business it is smart to keep the overhead as low as possible, in order to turn acceptable profits. In our industry this leads to a huge amount of mid and low grade products. However, the consumers that accept this quality level and continue to buy it, are the real reason for it's existence. When we buy these sub par products we are telling the grower that what they are producing is ok, and they will continue to produce it as long as there are consumers to buy it
There is a growing connoisseur market of people who demand better quality, that is exciting because a modern grower that gives his op what it needs to thrive, instead of what it needs to survive, has the potential to produce some of the finest cannabis that has been created to date. We know of some modern hybrids coming very close to the THC ceiling, and look how far extracts have come since the imported Afghani Hash days! So my view on Cannabis now is that the future is bright in regards to quality and the end of prohibition, but it is up to us as consumers to send a clear message to growers that we will not settle for sub par, cannabis. We must demand a higher quality and not buy anything less. Growers will quickly see the trend and adjust to compete in the market. This will result in higher prices for us as consumers, but better weed costs substantially more to grow and as a result, cost more to purchase as well. So do the industry a favour and get out there and buy some good shit!! lol....Sam

Imo half the problem is folks buying and demanding feminized and ruderelis strains of cannabis. But that seems to be what sells these days and if it sells there will always be someone willing to provide it.

You can’t visit a Seedbank online without 3/4 of it being one or both of those. Annoying to say the least. Not that I have much use for males but still I’d rather have something genetically similar to what the original breeder intended.

Which is why some “pollen chuckers” annoy me to no end. They take a clone only strain and instead of working it to recreate it they just hit it with STS and open up shop.

Oh well I could go on and on about the fuckery in this industry but I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir. Ahh well.

Imo half the problem is folks buying and demanding feminized and ruderelis strains of cannabis. But that seems to be what sells these days and if it sells there will always be someone willing to provide it.

You can’t visit a Seedbank online without 3/4 of it being one or both of those. Annoying to say the least. Not that I have much use for males but still I’d rather have something genetically similar to what the original breeder intended.

Which is why some “pollen chuckers” annoy me to no end. They take a clone only strain and instead of working it to recreate it they just hit it with STS and open up shop.

Oh well I could go on and on about the fuckery in this industry but I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir. Ahh well.
If you want to stay with un-manipulated genes look for land race strains. These are strains that are indigenous to, and occur naturally in, a specific area, and have been on earth for billions of years. I grow a mix, but I have a prized Afghan Hash Plant phenotype that is always the healthiest, the bushiest, most resiney plant in the room, and she is a 100% Indica pure strain, landrace. She is so nice that my next run I am dedicating to her. I run CO2 so I have to run my girls as hot as they will let me. With the mix I have now thats about 83 degrees, my sensitive girls show me signs of heat stress at 85 degrees so I have to dial back, landing on 83 for the rooms max temp with no signs of heat stress. Last run I experimented a little with my Hash Plant and found out I can run her up to 95 degrees with no signs of heat stress. In the experiment I got to a consistent temp of 100 with no signs of heat stress, but in spite of the science triple digits scare me. In a CO2 enriched environment, maximum photosynthesis takes place at a leaf temp of 111 degrees, but we can only give them what they will take, and those temps are impossible for most strains. My hope is to unlock the full potential of the Hash Plant by doing a whole room of her (I keep a bushy mother in constant VEG) at 95 to 99 degrees, with CO2. I have already hit 24% with this phenotype, I am hoping she has the genes to break 30% (fingers crossed). When trying this make sure to use leaf temp, instead of ambient temp, but I have to say I measure both, and they are never different. i think if you have adequate circulation throughout your room, your ambient and leaf temps are the same. They are for me anyway. I don't shy away of feminized strains, but I do agree with you about the value of pollen. I collect and freeze it. It is valuable stuff in the right hands. And I agree with you about Ruderelis. Not potent enough for my patients in the very limited experimenting I did with them a decade ago.

Absolutely. I am going to start working on a strain here shortly when things get settled. I’ve been lucky enough to get ahold of some selfed Chocolate Diesel seeds and Cookies n Cream regular seeds. So I’m aiming to cross the two and bx to various choco d females in hopes of restoring the lost genetics I once had. Just a small personal pet project I’d like to do for my own pleasure. Should be interesting.

I had the original Choco D F1 seeds years ago and loved it. It holds a special place in my heart.

Back
Top Bottom