Yow - What are these insects?

Sinclue

Found these floating in the flooded table. Don't seem to be on the plants, but plenty floating in the nutes.
Anybody know what they are and can you suggest a course of action? In flowering tent (4x4) with a modified SOG setup (three reservoirs/stages).
I've got six plants six weeks into flowering, four plants two weeks in, and was just about to put four more in to start flowering.
I don't see them in the vegging or the Moms tents...yet!

Bugs4.jpg

Re: YOW-What are these insects?

My wife took the picture by a couple of our local Hydro shops...immediately identified as root aphids. As I'm only dealing with a small number of plants Azamax was recommended. Immerse the plants/pots (in my case hydroton in 4" plastic pots). Repeat every three days. Didn't say how many cycles, but I would guess until there is no evidence of them. I also have a veg tent and a Moms tent (12 more plants). May just try to finish off the 6 girls who are already six weeks into flower and trash everything else. Then teardown, sterilize, etc. Its taken me the better part of a year to get a nice system where I'm harvesting 3-6 plants every three weeks. Oh well.

did the guy say what causes them? or where do they come from?

those are root aphids
azamax does help...but it helps better if you use it with another product
safer soap... whatever you have available
i found that filling up a bucket with safer soap and water
(i used a 5 gallon bucket for three gallon pots) and dunking it in the bucket for a few minutes knocks them out pretty good
dr bonners or palmolive might work as well
do it every week
and top drench after the dunk with the azamax
it also helps to have pyrethrin spray on hand to spray them basturds when they crawl and fly out of the soil
keep on top of them
nematodes help too...

root aphids are hard to get rid of
i have done a lot of research on these buggers a lot of people end up scrapping their grow i c m ag (if i can suggest) has a long thread about root aphids

have you seen the flyers yet?

botanigard is supposed to help i havn't found anyone confirming that
i think umass has a study on root aphids/phylexora...some go high some go low or something
i could be wrong google it

Before thinking of scraping the whole grow. Can you clone the plants that you have already and quarantine them until you're sure that the aphids aren't a problem in the clones? If the problem is in the roots would the aphids hitch hike on stems or foliage? I was just wondering, I have no experience with root aphids.

BWC, You could clone them, but they do climb on the lower stem and leaves.

The aphids will migrate to the lower leaves for food as they mature, but its easy enough to completely spray them and visually inspect the clones leaves.

I like that Idea and may try it.

Colorado didn't start getting aphids til two years ago, now a lot of Health centers are spreading them carelessly.
Be careful!

I didn't see this posted in here, but was there any symptoms to the plants you noticed? Thanks and very good luck

Back
Top Bottom