Looking for help on first COB build

ganjfather

I wanna build a DIY light for a veg setup but I'm lost in a sea of information and the more I think about this, the less I seem to understand so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

A little rundown of my plan:
-I'm getting ready to set up a brand new grow area for veg.
-I currently flower in a 4x4 tent. I'm going to buy another 4x4, also for flower, and run an 80 day perpetual cycle.
-I think a veg area with half the sq footage of one flower area will be best, but I can + or - a sq ft.
-I'll be purchasing a tent specifically for the light AFTER the build is finished.

I think a 4 cob setup sounds ideal, but I'm not quite sure how I should arrange them. That being said, should I run all 4 in a straight line or would it be better to make a square fixture?

How should I choose my COB spectrum? Will 5000k be better for veg than 6500k? Should I get 2 COBs in 1 spectrum (maybe 45k) and the other 2 COBs in another spectrum (maybe 65k)? Or should I just stick with a single spectrum?

Is there a large difference in CREE cxb3590 compared to vero29 or other less expensive COB diodes?

I'd like to hit a target of 200w total being pulled from the wall. I'd also like better growth than what I get from an 8tube 4' T5. Will 4 COBs running at 200w make me a happy man or am I being unrealistic? Is my efficiency gonna be dogshit if I run these cobs at 50w ea? I'll change my plan up if thats the case.

Would I be better off opting for more cheaper COB diodes like veros and running them softer or should I get some cxb3590s and run them a little harder.

I dont want to spend an arm and a leg since its just a veg light for a small area. My main target is like a middle of the ground efficiency to light output.

Any advice or help you guys can offer is appreciated

I wanna build a DIY light for a veg setup but I'm lost in a sea of information and the more I think about this, the less I seem to understand so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

-I currently flower in a 4x4 tent. I'm going to buy another 4x4, also for flower, and run an 80 day perpetual cycle.
-I think a veg area with half the sq footage of one flower area will be best, but I can + or - a sq ft.
-I'll be purchasing a tent specifically for the light AFTER the build is finished.

I think a 4 cob setup sounds ideal, but I'm not quite sure how I should arrange them. That being said, should I run all 4 in a straight line or would it be better to make a square fixture?

How should I choose my COB spectrum? Will 5000k be better for veg than 6500k? Should I get 2 COBs in 1 spectrum (maybe 45k) and the other 2 COBs in another spectrum (maybe 65k)? Or should I just stick with a single spectrum?

Is there a large difference in CREE cxb3590 compared to vero29 or other less expensive COB diodes?

I'd like to hit a target of 200w total being pulled from the wall. I'd also like better growth than what I get from an 8tube 4' T5. Will 4 COBs running at 200w make me a happy man or am I being unrealistic? Is my efficiency gonna be dogshit if I run these cobs at 50w ea? I'll change my plan up if thats the case.

Would I be better off opting for more cheaper COB diodes like veros and running them softer or should I get some cxb3590s and run them a little harder.

I dont want to spend an arm and a leg since its just a veg light for a small area. My main target is like a middle of the ground efficiency to light output.

Take a look at fanleaf and or jimmyjames905 they are the 2 guys you definitely want to look into

Also check out timber grow lights they make the diy very easy and have a few different setup to at least point you into the right direction

I swear fanleaf has a new build everyday your bound to find inspiration there

Not So Rookie Anymore

Crees have better efficiency at lower wattages. Veros and citileds have better efficiency at higher wattages(above 50w), for the most part. Cxb's are 2 year old tech.. Your paying for the name.. Im building a 16 vero29 SE setup that will oull 1000 real watts if i need it.. (Dimmable) .. I will be running these at 65w and on paper at least, they should be more efficient than cxb's. Check out rapid led, great prices.. But i wouldnt buy the cxb's unless your buying lots and driving them softly, this is where they are more efficient.

Crees have better efficiency at lower wattages. Veros and citileds have better efficiency at higher wattages(above 50w), for the most part. Cxb's are 2 year old tech.. Your paying for the name.. Im building a 16 vero29 SE setup that will oull 1000 real watts if i need it.. (Dimmable) .. I will be running these at 65w and on paper at least, they should be more efficient than cxb's. Check out rapid led, great prices.. But i wouldnt buy the cxb's unless your buying lots and driving them softly, this is where they are more efficient.
Hey, I'm putting together the same thing.vi have 16 vero29 ,and putting 4 per driver, at 1400ma, 62 or 65 w a piece. The chips are 35k. How do you like your setup? Hopefully flight goes good and I'll be home to hang it up this weekend
420-magazine-mobile900468172.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey gangjfather, I like the 4 COB set up in a square with two different spectrums. You might get better coverage at the corners. Can't go wrong with the choice of COB's mentioned for a veg area.
I just purchased a 250w Cree (4 @ 3500k and 1 @ 300k) kit along with a 200w Vero (2 @ 3000k) kit from Timber Grow Lights. I will be using the lights for my 3x3 flower tent. I'm at a loss for how to organize my frame. Maybe the four 3500k Cree COB's in a square shape with the 3000k Cree in the middle and the two Vero's on the outside. Or possibly the two Vero's equal distance from the center and a Cree 3500k in each corner. Any suggestions?

3500 is the perfect spectrum for flower and veg.. You dont need both specs in there. Also the veros are going to be much brighter than those crees.. Its going to be a balancing act to get the light uniform... I personally would have gotten one or the other.. And definitely leaning towards 3500 veros... Pushing a 100w on the vero will be blinding..
Cheers

9 Or 10 CKS Trainwreck Autos - First Time - Topped - Soilless

3500 is the perfect spectrum for flower and veg.. You dont need both specs in there. Also the veros are going to be much brighter than those crees.. Its going to be a balancing act to get the light uniform... I personally would have gotten one or the other.. And definitely leaning towards 3500 veros... Pushing a 100w on the vero will be blinding..
Cheers

9 Or 10 CKS Trainwreck Autos - First Time - Topped - Soilless
Luckily the kits comes with a dimmer which will allow me to fine tune the intensity of the Vero while pushing the Cree. Adjustability in intensity and design along with the semi-diy aspects brought me to the COB's.

Back
Top Bottom