Crimea Blue & Two AF Using Custom Built 90w LED, WIP

Spectroscopy

420 Member
Hey guys, first time posting. This is going to be my second time growing cannabis. Last time (5y ago) I did a stealth grow using a 200w HPS, but the heat was a problem. LED was an option, but the high price put me off first. Seeing that China has started producing very cheap grow LEDs, I decided to make my own LED lights (I hope it's not against the rules, since I'm not advertising or anything.)

Anyways,
Strain:
1x Crimea blue, Barneys farm, 80% Indica, 20% sativa.
2x An autoflower I got from a friend who decided he misses expterise at the last moment. I'll look up the packaging. EDIT: Super Haze Automatic from RQS.

Method: In soil, though I might try DWC, however I fear the fuck-ups killing my crops. I'll try my hand at SCROG'ing, really nervous about it :p

Lights:
9x 10W PCB and LED. 8x 660nm and 1x 455nm diodes on one package.
9x individual aluminium heat-sinks with 12v brushless fans.
2x constant current power source. Here I made several little mistakes. The LED chip can use 1.3A, but the driver is giving 0.9A. Not full output, but I guess it'll help with the heat. Also one driver has to drive 5 LED's, the other 4 (since it cannot drive 3 LED's unless there is another power dissipating compontent installed.) I guess one will fail before the other, but I have a spare somewhere.

Pics:

I mounted them on independent aluminium chassis so I can optimally play with the distance to the plant.I really need to clean up some of the wiring and figure out how to power the 9 12v 0.1A fans (probably PC PSU).
I measured the flux when I powered 5 LED units simultaneosly at 0.5m and got about 1720 lux. assuming 180° radiation pattern is about 2700 lumen or 540lm/ LED module. Seems on the low side, but they are reallllyy bright, my camera couldn't step down enought to capture it's full glory :p

5RlZ3j5.jpg
kipDUtf.jpg

I will add a couple of CFL's to mix some more light.

TENT:
Still doubting, but I've got some time to decide. Doubting between Secret Jardin DS-60, DS-90, Lodge R3.0 90x60x135cm. Anyone got tips?

SOIL:
Mixed some coconut with perlite, bone and blood meal. Tested on tomatoes, works fine. Might try to switch to hydroponics, If someone can recommend a good starters' kit.

Anyways, the journal!

DAY 6:
Autoflowers have germinated before the Crimea blue. They are currently under a soft 20w CFL in coconut germinating tabs.

upper left: crimea blue, UR: some peas :p LL&LR autoflowers.
Can't wait to see the cotyledons appearing!

Any tips or comments are welcome, if they're constructive ofc :p

re: Crimea Blue & Two AF Using Custom Built 90w LED - WIP

interesting setup you have there think i will come alone for the ride if thats alright with you, just wondering how many watts your light pulls from wall. Best of luck on your grow i will help with any suggestions or advice i can

Hey tom, thanks for following!
I'll get a watt meter soon, Or I'll just manyfacture one.
Day 6.5: I removed the seed shell casing with utmost care in order to see if this would give an advantage to the plant.
Day 7: The AF with the exposed cotyledons do give an advantage (however this one was closer by a few mm to the light.

Still need to chop the Gordian knot on the tent and whether to go hydro.

I am interested in hydro also it just scares me, so much can happen fast, i do think i will give it a try in the near future, after all that is the only way to learn right. I finally got started on my journal (in soil) come check it out, i will be doing a update this evening along with some pics. I believe removing the shell did give a little bit of a advantage interesting

So after a long silence I'll update the journal. Crimea seedling died. Only the two AF Silver Hazes survived. The tallest one got dry and wilted but I resurrected it, however, this stunted its growth significantly. Also, I was busy with other plans, so these two were illuminated by a single 30w CFL.

Day 23

Day 28

Day 31

Day 34

Day 42 Started doing some serious LST. I couldn't find good material to train my plants with, but I have recently acquired a 3D printer so I designed some plant ties.

Day 43

Day 44
Finally decorated the nursery. Currently I have two TL lights and my DIY LED light in. I think I lost too much time in the veg state. =/

Started to trim some leaves that were covering some shoots. My DIY Lamp runs cool with one PC fan. The soilmix I made works very well and I supplement the water with micronutrients, such as Boron, Copper, Manganese etc (derived from Hoagland solution). I acidify my water with nitric acid until I get pH 5.80.
Wish me luck!

The broken stem, well, healed :D Won't be LST'ing this plant anymore.

Day 49
1661204581741.png

Despite 80% transsection of the stem, this plant is going
1661204618988.png

Starting to blossom.

1661204651191.png

Both plants

1661204685857.png

Plant nr 2 has had a LST plant tie removed.

View attachment 2568878
1661204761217.png

If I switch off the CFLs off, my plants look almost black, meaning it's absorbing most of what the LED's are giving it. Auto whitebalance has a problem with this pic :p
Will post set-up shots soon.

Re: Crimea Blue & Two AF Using Custom Built 90w LED - WIP

Set-up

1661204167965.png

My set up: 175m3 axial fan w/ temperature control.
My DIY LED light ~90watt
Two TLs, i assume 36watt
Rhino carbon filter
Automatic fire extinguisher I still need to mount.

Because I'm working with custom (and chinese) electronics, I would rather not risk the house to an electrical fire. 6kgs of ABC powder will be released in 10seconds if the temp goes above 68°C. Ordered a thermal fuse as well to cut off electricity.

Need to clear the wire clutter.
Will post pics of virgin buds soon.

Day 63

Bud:

Buds getting on some much needed weight. My LED light is probably too weak, so I'll be designing the new 600W ASAP. While waiting for the components to arrive, I've set-up a new grow and finally dared to thread the hydroponic water :p You can follow this journal here: First Hydro Grow - 2x WW & 2x Crimea Blue - Custom LED.

So Guys, I guess this is Day 77. I think I should harvest. I REALLY need your opinion on this one. It seems Plant 1 is ready, while plant two has 1 more week to go, what do you think?

Plant 1

They look milky, Don't see amber ones, only on brown flowers. How long do I have?

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom