Tips For A Noobie Outdoor Grower

jcole32

Hey all,

Doing our first outdoor grow up in the Sierra's of Northern California and was hoping for some tips/answers to my questions. I've been reading a lot online and seemingly get two different answers to every question I have.

For an outdoor grow, how important is it to trim/prune the plant during vegetative and/or flowering stages? I have heard people say trimming (lollipoping) is essential while others say for outdoor plants it's not as big of an issue.

We're using 15 gallon pots for our plants, obviously you can always go bigger but is this sufficient enough size to get a decent yield? (6 plants)

I'm sure I am leaving out a ton of information. Below are some pictures of the grow from a week in (May19) to just yesterday (June 19).

Thanks for the help.

IMG_270111.JPG
IMG_263321.JPG
32033.JPG

Regards,
J Cole

Hey man, very nice liitle greenhouse. Outdoor pruning depends on two things: style of growing and bushiness of s given variety. If you prefer LST or scrog over vertical growing then you prune early on a little bit and then push for an even canopy trimming lightly. If you never top or do it once then you prune periodically the undergrowth and lightly or heavily (it's really up to you) everything upwards. It's not necessary though, but it helps a plant to produce bigger colas and less popcorn.

It's personal preference if you ask you will find people on both sides. I top and bend my plants to make a more even canopy. I tend to trim the bottom 1/4 of the plant off in an effort to make the plant focus on tops and cola buds. I'm obviously a fan of pruning and lolipopping plants to increase yield. But like everything it depends on strain, growing skill level, and growing conditions. In a 15 gallon pot outside you are really limiting what the plant can do if you ask me. Always the bigger the pot the better unless the size of the plants is an issue. You can check out my journal I pruned them one week and they pretty much doubled in size a week later. It's nuts!

Back
Top Bottom