Strain - Unknown
# of Plants - 4 (1 dead, 3 alive)
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - VEG
Setup - WILMA 4x11 litre
Light - 600W LED Viparspectra
Nutrients - IONIC Grow
Medium - Small amount of soil and Hydrocorn XL
PH - 5.5-6.5 (not accurate, because i am still using liquid test)
Room Temperature 22 to 27 C*
Solution Temperature - room temp
Room Square Footage - 120x120x200cm.
Pests - None Known

I don't have any fan or air pump yet, but I've opened my tent everyday so they can get some breath.
I have 5L RAM Ultrasonic Humidifier running.

Next week I am going to get some fans and filter.

Problem: I'm having a yellowing of my leaves with a white dotting, that continually gets worse until the leaf dies. White spots on leaves, after day or two the leave will turn brown and die. I've used IONIC hydro grow and Atami Root solution, but changed to only PH'edwater as I noticed that my babies are dying. I also cut the dead leaves.

I am new grower and I want to learn more. :)
Maybe these pics will help better.

PS. also I am little unsecure about the watering, not sure how much I should give them water a day... I have 15min analog timer.

em5GWmH.jpg
ZYPDKmw.jpg
ZGbx9dV.jpg

I know nothing about your type of grow, but have you checked out the journals of those with a similar set up? It helped me immensely. Good luck! Sorry I can't help more.

You said no air pump? Are you referring to to your res or buckets not having air (airstone) air-rating the water? If not, get one for each bucket including the res.
Otherwise, they are too small for nutes just yet but still makes me wonder about calmag?
My girls in dwc quickly got pale and dry until I included calmag.
Also, using soil in a hydro system? Never heard of that but I'm assuming it can be ok. I would consider coco or preferably for your set up just clay balls. Heck I used some small river rocks for my girls too and that works fine. Just never thought hydro and soil mixed...
My personal opinion - after beans sprout I put in soil or coco until they are at minimum 3 nodes- 5 is my preference. This can simply be done in solo cups and soil without nutes. Just good old dirt will do for your beans.
Once the girls get a little bigger, it's then when I would move to hydro. And at that point you will need nutes and definitely calmag in every feeding. Calmag, the lack of, made my girls super pale and get near death... but once I introduced, they thrived.
So, my 2 cents- take out of hydro and just keep in soil until strong enough to switch. You can save them and soil is much more forgiving-imo.
Otherwise- ph I'm sure is fine and something you really not need worry about too much at such an early stage- assuming you don't have any extremes from whatever h2o you do use. You do want air flow though and will need air stones for your hydro buckets- I put one in each. Walmart has a pump that has 2 leads out for about 12 bucks and it works great for me. Humidity should not be an issue- you are doing hydro - shouldn't have issues of too little humidity- really your worry on that will be in flower keeping humidity levels low.
Hope this helps and keep us posted! Remember- no such thing as perfect- we all mess up and create awesomeness- just depends on the day and a little knowledge and luck.
(Put back in soil until strong and healthy...)
Good luck and have fun!

And while it may seem stressful to put in and out and in to hydro for the plants- it is but at this stage- it's the best time to make them work a little without major issue occurring..you will be fine...
also, get a ppm and a ph meter- 20 total on amazon. Don't worry about fancy right now- these little electronic devises work just fine for the casual grower. I use them myself- for nutes, I have been using gh 3 part plus calmag. Been working lovely. Always start with about a quarter of recommmended dosage per gallon - never go full nute on such small plants... stay low but steady with nutes and you will be rewarded. But again, you shouldn't need nutes at this stage- with the possible exception of adding calmag.

Good info Mikey. I stayed away from this thread because I don't grow dwc- (I'm mainly in soilless and dtw hydro).
A couple small points.
You say no nutes when they're young. Well, in hydro they do need to get nutes from somewhere- it's not like soil or even most soilless peat moss mixes which usually have at least a tiny dose of nutrient mixed on as a seedling starter.

They do need food when they're little, at least past the sprout stage. Just not very much.
Which brings me to my other detail. Calmag is a nutrient and contains quite a lot of N.
It varies by brand.
The GH stuff is 1% N I believe. The Botanicare calmag I use is 2%.
To put that in perspective my (Botanicare Grow) veg nutrient is 3% N So the Calmag is definitely a potentially large source of N for a seedling, and I use it as such.
The recommended 5 ml/ gallon of Calmag works out to roughly 200 ppm. I premix the calmag into the rainwater reservoir I use, and use it as nutrient and the only source of N for my very young seedlings.

Good info Mikey. I stayed away from this thread because I don't grow dwc- (I'm mainly in soilless and dtw hydro).
A couple small points.
You say no nutes when they're young. Well, in hydro they do need to get nutes from somewhere- it's not like soil or even most soilless peat moss mixes which usually have at least a tiny dose of nutrient mixed on as a seedling starter.

They do need food when they're little, at least past the sprout stage. Just not very much.
Which brings me to my other detail. Calmag is a nutrient and contains quite a lot of N.
It varies by brand.
The GH stuff is 1% N I believe. The Botanicare calmag I use is 2%.
To put that in perspective my (Botanicare Grow) veg nutrient is 3% N So the Calmag is definitely a potentially large source of N for a seedling, and I use it as such.
The recommended 5 ml/ gallon of Calmag works out to roughly 200 ppm. I premix the calmag into the rainwater reservoir I use, and use it as nutrient and the only source of N for my very young seedlings.

Thanks for the correction- calmag is part of the nutes -- not sure how I wrote that earlier but I appreciate clarifying.
I had a terrible time starting my girls in dwc so having your input is very helpful.
Even now, I tend to start out in soil and they tend to grow quite well early on without much help- just water, light and love. But once they get a little growth I do add a little nutes. And as I do a little of everything, i never have much issue switching o dwc at this stage.. seems to respond well at this stage then at sprout stage but that said, when I did start out at sprout stage before I didn't have any nutes and no ph meter- amazing how fast we learn.

I'm sure it may be easier now but I like how easy my soil has been for my beans and clones. Then I can choose to stay in soil or dwc. I'm leaning back to soil though for myself. I like both but I don't see a yield difference- yet- and soil just seems so much more forgiving. And as I travel a bit, soil seems to handle the stress that goes along with my absence much better than my dwc.. I'm sure I may feel different if I had a monitor and dispenser for my dwc but with my budget and grow needs, I'm not finding value in investing in so much when what works works.

Thanks for the clarification and input! Love this stuff!

Yeah for a while I was excited about the idea of hydro. Eventually talked myself into sticking with what I was using already - soilless (peat moss/perlite) which is actually a form of hydro - but more forgiving. I'm away a lot and would hate to see any plants die because of some silly technical glitch that cut off their life support. . My plants spend 5 or 6 days a week in their own, most weeks, and do (mostly) just fine. I also grow in coco and other such fluffy stuff- plus have a few small ones on multiple feedings with reservoir and timer. But that's about as far as I want to push my luck with the automation.
Pros and cons to everything. Hydro can screw up fast- but you can also see fast results when you do things right.
Still- organic soil has some sort of call for me as well. Closer to nature I guess.

Mainly I just want to stubbornly stick with one sort of style till I figure it all out- and the years keep rolling by as I try to do that...

Thanks guys, I managed to cure them all, now they are growing green nicely. :) Maybe I used too much nutrients. :eek:
Also I have Electrolux EAP450, should I place it in grow room?

Back
Top Bottom