Clones are losing leaves while rooting

pfefferi

I took 4 clones off a Purple Bud about 2 weeks ago. The tops of them all turned to mush and fell off. There's 1-2 leaves remaining on the clones on the bottom most node, all the nodes/leaves above turned to mush.

At first glance I would consider them all dead, but the roots on them have continued to grow over the past few days indicating there are still signs of life in them. Two of them have considerable roots continuing to grow out the bottom of the rockwool cube.

Is it safe to assume if the roots are growing it'll eventually be fine? I'd rather not cut up the mother plant anymore.

clone63.jpg

Normally if they had roots still growing I would expect them to live, but of course it needs to be followed soon by some growing foliage.
Most importantly, I think you need to solve the problem of why they are 'turning to mush'. My guess is that they have high humidity and don't have any airflow - do you have a dome or lid over top of them? If so you should probably remove it or at least open it up.

I do have a dome on them. If you take the dome off the clones start wilting so the dome is normally on. I'm not that concerned about the cause of the leaves melting, as all the clones I've done since are all fine. I'm just concerned on whether a clone in this state, that is continuing to grow roots, will eventually survive. There's twice as many roots visible today as there were a couple days ago, so it looks like it's still trying.

The mother plant had a really bad case of root maggots 2 weeks ago, and still hasn't fully recovered from it. There's very little growth on her, so trying to clone her for the next month is probably a no no.

Ok, since I've never had this exact experience I can't say much more than it looks very hopeful, with new roots forming.
I don't use a dome at all and things root fine, but maybe your humidity is lower than mine. Good luck mate. :thumb:

Hi pfefferi

Is that the best of the four? the root rot is a concern if it was there when you took the clones. taking clones from a stressed plant can be a bit tough sometimes. hormones can be out of balance causing certain receptor signals to fail. i'm not very familiar with root rot, but i am about to study up :laughtwo: i'm wondering if it can infect more than just roots. anyways, i'm of the opinion that what you are experiencing is primarily stress related. at least initially. this is the second time i have mentioned it this week so the universe must be telling me to get some myself, but you could try diluted coconut milk in the water. it contains zeatin, a cytokinin ... i just stole this definition from the intertron..

Cytokinins in the intact plant are the phytohormones that work from the bottom up. Made in the roots (also seeds and fruits), cytokinins travel up the xylem and promote lateral growth. Since auxins travel down from the growing tip and act to suppress lateral growth, these two types of hormones strike a balance. This relationship persists in tissue culture. When the active concentration of the two hormones are balanced, callus formation and growth is favored. When cytokinin predominates, shoots are formed. Although the name "cytokinin" indicates that these molecules promote cell division, in reality cell division requires both hormones. Optimal hormonal conditions for propagation differ from species to species, and also differ with the stage of development.

heh. Think I'll put that in book 4 also!

We'll be sending ya good vibes! in the meantime do keep us posted.. and welcome to :420:

Back
Top Bottom