1st grow - 3x3 - 600W HPS/MH - DWC - Advice please

TheDankDuo

Hello all you lovely folks of :420: !

Really appreciate putting all there knowledge up here; and now I have decided to start my own grow.

Been doing a lot of research over the last few months, and have come down to using this set up which I am going to go out to my local hydro store/Amazon and buy everything next week.

Set up:
-3x3x6 Gorilla grow tent
-3x 5 gallon DWC bubble buckets w/ 2 air stones each coming from a high power air pump
-phantom II 600w dimmable ballast
-600w HPS/MH 6in Air-cooled hood (probably hydrofarm)
-1 6in Can-Fan Pro 420 cfm exhaust fan (using passive intake)
- 6in carbon scrubber (Ipower)

So my main question: think i will have problem keeping temperatures right? I will be pumping the hot air into the garage (right next to the room i am in). the room get central AC/heat, however, it is an addition and not the best insulated.

Please let me know if my current grow room specs sound good.
Also, I will be starting a journal of this grow in about a week or two, come check it out!

Pretty good setup buddy. Doesn't sound like you'll have any problems keeping your temps in range. Don't forget to add a small fan inside the tent to keep the air circulating & to strengthen the main stems of the plants. Good luck.

I think it will come down to the temperature of the air you are able to pull into the tent.
I have been running a 600W HPS in a space 8' high and about 3' x 4'. It works well in fall, winter, and spring (heat added in winter). I can't use it in the summer.

Thanks to you both, really appreciate the advice.

I plan on having two small oscillating fans on the inside.

Yah I honestly don't think I will have a problem until summer...at which time I'll probably have to switch to LEDs.

Anyways, as far as Nutes go...I am going to try Advanced Nutrients line of products first, I know it's expensive but seems like it works well with little fuss.
Also, has anyway used z7? I've heard amazing things about it for hydro to keep your water perfect all the time. Any feedback would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The biggest issue you will face is you res temperatures. Your environment is very important but there is scope there for fluctuation. however there isnt alot of scope for your water temps. Ideally 69f is perfect.

If using AN products dont get sucked into their marketing and buy 20 different additives, its completely unnecessary. Go with their 3 part PH perfect Micro Grow Bloom but be aware that will still need to Ph adjust.

I would add a little Great White Mycorrhizae directly to the rootzone and also add sensizym and voodoo juice. this will make the roots healthy and strong. If you start getting over 70f in your water temps you are asking for trouble.

I forgot you want to run DWC. I agree with Cultivator. Your grow room temp will probably be OK until summer, but make sure you can keep your water/nute's temperature down. If it is also up around 80 degrees, you'll have problems.

Gotcha, I hear what y'all are saying. I'm hoping for most of the year it won't be to difficult (air temperature/ Rez temp) but during the summer switching to LED lights and possibly using frozen water bottles for the reservoir might have to be an option.

Do the rez temps differ extremely from the room temp? I figured if my room temps are good my rez temps should at least be around the same give or take?

For Nutes I was gonna go with:
Advanced Nutrients 3 part, and possibly voodoo juice and big bud.
And for my roots specifically use: z7, and orca/great white.

Anything else that I'm missing?

My biggest worry is my temps, and then my roots...seems to be the parts that everyone has trouble there first time around.

Gotcha, I hear what y'all are saying. I'm hoping for most of the year it won't be to difficult (air temperature/ Rez temp) but during the summer switching to LED lights and possibly using frozen water bottles for the reservoir might have to be an option.

Do the rez temps differ extremely from the room temp? I figured if my room temps are good my rez temps should at least be around the same give or take?

I don't hydro so others will give you better info. I think you want it below 70F, with 65-68F "being in the zone".

If your room is warm your res will be warm. If its a massive res of cold water it will take longer to warm up. I suspect the way you will do it will cause warmer res temps and will likely cause probs. You must make certain the water is under 70f as above that the water wont hold onto o2 and increased risk of pathogens.

Never put frozen bottles in the individual buckets where the roots are as that will damage the roots.

If your room is warm your res will be warm. If its a massive res of cold water it will take longer to warm up. I suspect the way you will do it will cause warmer res temps and will likely cause probs. You must make certain the water is under 70f as above that the water wont hold onto o2 and increased risk of pathogens.

Never put frozen bottles in the individual buckets where the roots are as that will damage the roots.

Understood, appreciate the advice man. If I had to use the water bottle trick, I was gonna use a bigger bucket in which my 5 gallon dwc bucket will sit it...which I would put ice cold water around/frozen bottles around.

I'm just hoping that keeping my air temps in the tent cool enough will in turn also keep my rez temps low enough...we shall see here in a few weeks when I get everything going.

If my temps are around 75 degrees in the tent...would the water be around that ambient room temp? Or would it be a bit cooler (hopefully under 70)?

when the plants are bigger the buckets will stay cooler as the canopy protects them. but small plants will mean buckets warming up quickly.

Makes sense to me, I really appreciate you dropping in and giving me some tips.

Any other tips? I will be getting started a week from today

yeah just keep your buckets clean and keep air pump outside of tent where it should be cooler. the water will heat up faster if the pump is putting warm air into the buckets.

Nice tip, makes complete sense though, will definitely keep the pump and everything I can outside of the room then fee the air tubes in thru a vent hole or something

Ye ever wonder why hydroponic stuff is made out of black plastic ?

Me to, as black attracts heat it is just one of things which niggles at me or perhaps they just want you to buy a water chiller IDK ?

On a DiY scale some growers will insulate their buckets with various materials but depends on where ya are in world & what is available !

Other wise look at RDWC (recirculating) with a water chiller.

If ya got a little time on your hands do a test run & see what water temps get at with a regular bucket & with one insulated it might just be practical to do so than trying to deal with issue's when growing :thumb:

Probably the same reason tires are black. Black transfers heat better (that's why motorcycle engines are black) :( but it is also more UV resistant. In general, black pots last longer than other colors of plastic exposed to sun, but they do suck for heat.

i think they use black as its best to keep light out. easier to control res temps i guess. but you can always wrap buckets with lagging to prevent them heating up.

Ye i think i need to sit back on this one & may off been some sort of muffin splurt out... Mmm good cause for some home work this evening to which i've been pondering over for some time, good memory nudge :thumb:

Ye i'm sure some science is involved in this puzzle !

Me to, as black attracts heat it is just one of things which niggles at me or perhaps they just want you to buy a water chiller IDK ?

On a DiY scale some growers will insulate their buckets with various materials but depends on where ya are in world & what is available !

Other wise look at RDWC (recirculating) with a water chiller.

If ya got a little time on your hands do a test run & see what water temps get at with a regular bucket & with one insulated it might just be practical to do so than trying to deal with issue's when growing :thumb:

Yah I think I might try and get some reflective duct tape to layer on the outside of the DWC buckets, hopefully it'll help with rez temp.

But yah, I plan on doing a couple day dry run test in my tent with everything running, just to see what kinda temps I'll be dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom