1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

Yeah, MH will help cut down on the growth. The blus spectrum promotes tighter internode spacing, thus less need for a big stretch. Another thing is to keep the light as close as possible to help fight the reaching.

As always, thanks Butch! Think the light is about 18-20" from tops. Slightly warm with a hand test, but not quite burning. I assume with the light mover it won't stay in one place too long. Perhaps I can get that light lower...I'll give it a shot.

SF

Another update.

So until I hear otherwise, I'm going to continue to be verbose with the posts and updates. It's just a good reference for me and who knows it might just be something somebody else might encounter.

NEF recently asked about when I'm going to change cycles to flowering. Last night I decided it's really close to being time. The magnetic ballast arrived today, as well as the HPS lamp (pics in near future). I decided to do a nute change and change the "soup" to the Transition recipe. Here's what was performed.

So I'm not real familar how most people drain the res on their CAP system but here's what I've been using.

MJ_599_1.jpg

Pump purchased from home depot, garden hose attachment, some tubing, a hangar and some duct tape. Basically I just drop the "utensil" into the barrel and it pumps the reservoir dry.

While the res is draining, I take some run-off measurements, just to see what effect time does to the PPM and PH of the nutes.

MJ_605_1.jpg

MJ_604_1.jpg

Then I begin the process of filling up the res and while the water is being added, I begin adding the nutes. I use the drill with mixer attachment to do a great mixing job and get a more immediate reading of the nute strength. While close, but not quite to my filling level (approx 40 gals), I add my PH Down solution.

MJ_624_1.jpg

A final mix with the drill, I replace the 2 power-head pumps that live in the res, and buckle everything back up and then I take some measurements.

MJ_626_1.jpg

MJ_625_1.jpg

At this point, I can add a little more water if necessary to get all the levels proper. I took a temperature measurement for you to see.

MJ_628_1.jpg

Obviouslly the water is way to cold, so I turn off several cycles on the CAP timer. About 8 hours and the water temperature rises to about 65 and the watering cycle is resumed.

Tonight when I did a quick check, the PH had fallen to 5.6, a little to low for me, I added 5 gallons of tap water and it brought it back up to 5.8. A little lower on the nute strength, but I can live with this. The plants will talk!

As a side note, it looks like the first tank of CO2 I have is just about dry, it lasted about a week with 24/0 lighting schedule. At this rate, I'll be purchasing a propane generator, as someone suggested not too long ago. He warned me, ;-)

Anyway, I'll grab another picture tomorrow before I darken the room for 30 hours to start the flowering, and hopefully the fun begins!

Thanks all!
SF

I've never waited for my water to acclimate to room temp. If its 40 in the res its going to rapidly increase in temp as it runs down those narrow black lines into a much warmer flower room and is dispersed into the buckets. I've never seen an ill reaction.

Also you're pH can be as low as 5.4. I always pH to 5.5 and let it drift up to 6.2. 5.8 is a nice conservative place to be but you get better nutrient uptake floating around between 5.5 and 6.2

I drain my barrel pretty much the same way. Instead of an inline sump I drop a big hydro pump connected to 3/4 vinyl tuning and pump to my toilet. I use a wet/dry vac to suck the remaining drops of water and sediment if any. Then take a nap for the 4 hour RO barrel fill.

Hey McBudz.

You a movie buff? Pulp Fiction? "Well Allow Me to Retort".

You bring up some very valid points/solutions.

I've never waited for my water to acclimate to room temp. If its 40 in the res its going to rapidly increase in temp as it runs down those narrow black lines into a much warmer flower room and is dispersed into the buckets. I've never seen an ill reaction.

Good to know, I'll move on and give this a go.

Also you're pH can be as low as 5.4. I always pH to 5.5 and let it drift up to 6.2. 5.8 is a nice conservative place to be but you get better nutrient uptake floating around between 5.5 and 6.2

I wouldn't know how to really manage the PH "train" my PH is actually down by the end of the week res change. I've been starting the week pretty much at 5.8-6.0 based on these two charts?

Nutrient_Chart.jpg

phnutrcombo1.gif

Basically, my PH doesn't really drift much either way, so how would I compensate?

Then take a nap for the 4 hour RO barrel fill.

I hear you on the nap!!! I'm using tap water @ 190ppm, PH 7 right from faucet.

Thanks again for the tips. Looking forward to your comments!

SF

Love Pulp Fiction :)

If your pH doesnt drift much (mine actually doesn't too much either) GH Flora is very pH stable. I do 10 day res cycles and I fill the res to 50 gallons. After 5 days or so I lose a fair amount .. say 10 gallons or so of water. I just top off with RO water which can bring it upwards 6.0 give or take. So my drift in a sense is a bit manual.

You seem to have everything well put together and thought out. Im just throwing my 2 cents in from experience hoping to save you any unneeded extra work. Its nice to have you here hosting a journal with us.

I wish I had your tap water. Mine sucks. Can barely sustain life of any kind. Very hard water 500 ppm

Hey McBudz.

You a movie buff? Pulp Fiction? "Well Allow Me to Retort".

You bring up some very valid points/solutions.

Good to know, I'll move on and give this a go.

I wouldn't know how to really manage the PH "train" my PH is actually down by the end of the week res change. I've been starting the week pretty much at 5.8-6.0 based on these two charts?

Nutrient_Chart.jpg

phnutrcombo1.gif

Basically, my PH doesn't really drift much either way, so how would I compensate?

I hear you on the nap!!! I'm using tap water @ 190ppm, PH 7 right from faucet.

Thanks again for the tips. Looking forward to your comments!

SF

Love Pulp Fiction :)

If your pH doesnt drift much (mine actually doesn't too much either) GH Flora is very pH stable. I do 10 day res cycles and I fill the res to 50 gallons. After 5 days or so I lose a fair amount .. say 10 gallons or so of water. I just top off with RO water which can bring it upwards 6.0 give or take. So my drift in a sense is a bit manual.

You seem to have everything well put together and thought out. Im just throwing my 2 cents in from experience hoping to save you any unneeded extra work. Its nice to have you here hosting a journal with us.

I wish I had your tap water. Mine sucks. Can barely sustain life of any kind. Very hard water 500 ppm

I'll try that with the PH.

I appreciate your support! I really don't know what the h*ll I'm doing. When I started here three(ish) months ago, I actually started with your journal, PitViper, and OlGrowerDude (RIP), Wheels, OMM, they stood out in popularity and I liked following along, also many others. I also just did research here on 420, and read most of the instruction manuals for the various nutes, equipment, etc.

I really appreciate you pointing out any tips and tricks and I'm sure the fellow "bucketheads" will also. I know of two other guys using the same CAP system that are following along. Sorry bout your water. But the RO must make for some excellent drinking water as well (Tasty Beverage?).

:thanks:

Many Thanks.
SF

Damn that's frosty !!!!!

Thanks Noatec!

I just hope it tastes good. Never did a harvest, stuff is all wet, just hard to imagine that it's all gonna firm up and resemble what I normally smoke. I guess I had the same ambivalence along the way when I started with seeds.

Just saw your pics with your son's microscope. Looks like you'll have some fun to look forward to!

Question.
Anyone know of a good manicure/trimming thread? Or can you provide your method of harvest and trimming?

Peace Noatec.
SF

Hey Wheel.

I'm really glad you're here. I've been following your grows for awhile now!

As for the hydroton, I'm sure that would work. Just want to clarify with you where you mention placing the hydroton. Basically I made TWO modifications based on STG recommendation. One, I used those S-hooks and embedded them in the insert (1 each side) and then hung the other end onto the rim of the bucket. Mod two was a piece of 1.1/2 inch PVC tubing placed in between the two buckets; creating extra space for the roots.

As you mentioned, I think the hail product would work as well at the bottom of the insert. I just didn't know enough to keep that insert up high in the bucket. If the water didn't sit on top, and gravity pulled it down, I'm wondering if it would've stayed in the correct position the whole time?

Finally, I have nothing really against Hydroton. I just took my small experience with it on my 1st grow (little 6" net pots) and it was a little more work than my back could handle. The appeal of easy setup and cleanup with the STG basically was my deciding factor.

Sorry I got a little long-winded with my answer, I'll let you filter what you feel is important.

Again, I'm really glad you're here. I'm sure I'll need your help in the future!

Much Respect.
SF

thanks bro, sorry took me a while to respond but i've been keeping up.

that's BS that the inserts don't really fit into the one and only system it was designed for. . . doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

yeah i was thinking about it and came up with the fact the the layer of hydroton would work a lot better on the bottom, to hold up the STG insert, and to act as aggregate at the bottom.

more STG on the bottom might be better, but i'm diggin the aggregate properties the hydroton could provide.

Ok Wheel, ask and you shall receive.

Room dimensions are 9.6'w X 6.0'l X 7.0'h

Got a shot of the light mover here for you. I ended up using two sections of track, each 39" long so 6.5' - I setup the stoppers on the ends; probably about a foot in on one side, so it's traveling about 5.5' each pass.

I think it room might be a tad small, but we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks Wheel!

thanks man, this is a bit bigger than my 4x8 tent, so we're gonna be real close.

ABOUT HARVEST:

here is one of the 420mag official guides to harvest:
What is the best way to dry and preserve the cure for smooth, sweet buds?

sounds good to me, but not what I do.

My Method is as follows:
1)cut off a main cola as far down as you can without getting too much side branching
2)cut off all fan leaves. and discard
3)trim the sugar leaf in the general shape of the bud onto a newspaper for hash (or discard). I don't trim it too too tight, the sugar leaf will curl up and cover the bud, which will protect the bud somewhat until i smoke it. i leave maybe 1/8-1/2 inch of sugar leaf depending on how frosty it is. . . if you leave too much you can just not smoke that part when you break it up.
4)I used to hang them upside down in a closet, but now i have a mesh drying rack with 5 compartment, and depending on climate i leave them for 5-7 days until they're really dry.
5)next cut off side branching, one branch at a time, and treat it like a cola.
6)repeat steps 2 & 3 for each of step 5.
7) after 5-7 days they go into glass jars to cure. the buds will go from felling very dry, maybe even a bit crispy, to being kind of wet again in the jars.
8)burp the jars (open them and close them again) at least once a day as the buds "sweat" out excess moisture.
9)the buds will get more potent, in both taste and strength of high, the longer they are cured - up to a certain point. i would say that they are cured enough after one week, nicely cured in two, and fully cured in 4. (this is just my own scale.

I never have enough to wait the full cure to start tokin my harvests. I start smoking from the first day they are dry enough. lol. I've been dry for a week now and it sucks man. I can't wait to get another harvest under my belt. . . . hopefully one that will keep me stocked well enough to get through the one after that and a full cure before i have to raid the stash.

:goodluck:

Trich City... Wowz bro :goodjob:

Thanks Dro!!!

:bigblush:

thanks bro, sorry took me a while to respond but i've been keeping up.

ABOUT HARVEST:

here is one of the 420mag official guides to harvest:
What is the best way to dry and preserve the cure for smooth, sweet buds?

sounds good to me, but not what I do.

My Method is as follows:
1)cut off a main cola as far down as you can without getting too much side branching
2)cut off all fan leaves. and discard
3)trim the sugar leaf in the general shape of the bud onto a newspaper for hash (or discard). I don't trim it too too tight, the sugar leaf will curl up and cover the bud, which will protect the bud somewhat until i smoke it. i leave maybe 1/8-1/2 inch of sugar leaf depending on how frosty it is. . . if you leave too much you can just not smoke that part when you break it up.
4)I used to hang them upside down in a closet, but now i have a mesh drying rack with 5 compartment, and depending on climate i leave them for 5-7 days until they're really dry.
5)next cut off side branching, one branch at a time, and treat it like a cola.
6)repeat steps 2 & 3 for each of step 5.
7) after 5-7 days they go into glass jars to cure. the buds will go from felling very dry, maybe even a bit crispy, to being kind of wet again in the jars.
8)burp the jars (open them and close them again) at least once a day as the buds "sweat" out excess moisture.
9)the buds will get more potent, in both taste and strength of high, the longer they are cured - up to a certain point. i would say that they are cured enough after one week, nicely cured in two, and fully cured in 4. (this is just my own scale.

I never have enough to wait the full cure to start tokin my harvests. I start smoking from the first day they are dry enough. lol. I've been dry for a week now and it sucks man. I can't wait to get another harvest under my belt. . . . hopefully one that will keep me stocked well enough to get through the one after that and a full cure before i have to raid the stash.

:goodluck:

Wheel. Glad you are watching over me!!!

You Rock! +reps on the (simple) harvest and trim techniques!!!

Thanks man!
SF

Wheel, we are so "mind-melding". You're talking one of these right?
(Included for everyone's reference)

MJ_691_1.jpg

Never used this before, never dried before, ;-), but if you're putting your endorsement on it, I'm sold.

Thanks Wheel!
SF

they lost :surrender:

Glad to see fans south of the 49th parallel.

Maybe one of the top five games ever!!! 1980 being top three. Sid is golden

Did I say that outloud!!!

Agree guys, it was a FANTASTIC match! I guess you could say Second Place is just the first place loser.

The USA team wasn't even supposed to place, so a Silver Medal is better than expected!

Now on to 2012 in London where hopefully we can spank China in more neutral territory. ;-)

SF

Back
Top Bottom