1st Grow - Fabzster - MarsLED - Bubbleponics - Bubba Kush, Confidential Cheese - 2017

Re: 1st Grow - Fabzster - MarsLED - Bubbleponics - Bubba Kush, Confidential Cheese -

2017-05-16

Hey Scientific!

Many thanks for taking the time to post this is all new to me and it is much appreciated. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would join me and post some feedback posting any feedback. I have also subsequently subscribed to your diary.

I removed the discolored lower leaves and I checked the run off on the bag seedlings that are planted in 50% coco and 50% perlite and found the following:

Bag Seedling #1
pH 5.5
µS 172
ppm 87

Bag Seedling #2
pH 5.8
µS 175
ppm 87

Re: 1st Grow - Fabzster - MarsLED - Bubbleponics - Bubba Kush, Confidential Cheese -

Nothing much to report, thinking of adding 1/4 strength nutes to the top-fed DWC this weekend that is home to my confidential seedling.

2017-05-17_17_42_49_resize.jpg
2017-05-17_17_42_37_resize.jpg

I think the important thing to note is the following:

• Bag Seedling #1 popped 2017-04-26 (21 days old) (only getting 1/4 nutes but they are so small)
  • Bag Seedling #2 popped 2017-04-27 (20 days old) (only getting 1/4 nutes but they are so small)
  • Confidential seedling popped 2017-05-05 (12 days old) (no nutes will intreoduce this weekend)

I am just afraid to introduce too many nutes too soon.

> Confidential seedling popped 2017-05-05 (12 days old) (no nutes will intreoduce this weekend)
Once they have true leaves, they are ready for nutrients. Just keep the concentration mild for a while. I'm entering my last week and still feeding less than half what General Hydroponics recommends (but I check and adjust nutrient levels every day).

Your plant looks good!

• Bag Seedling #1 has a some new spots on it now
    2017-05-19_08_54_12_resize.jpg

• Bag Seedling #2 has some blackening on the tips
    2017-05-19_08_52_10_resize.jpg

• Confidential Seedling seems to be doing well and some roots have started growing out the sides near the bottom of the net pot.
    2017-05-19_08_58_28_resize.jpg

2017-05-19_08_56_18_resize.jpg

I wonder if the bag seedlings have leaf septoria
I have flushed the Bag seedlings again and remixed a batch of nutes at 1/2 strength week 3, lets see what happens, at least I have the luxury of the Bag Seedlings as test subjects LOL.

Stats of nutes
pH 6
µS 570
ppm 284

Run Off
Bag Seedling #1 pH 5.9
Bag Seedling #2 pH 5.8

So pH should be good and lets hope the nutes are correct

The hydros are looking good. The soil guys look like they might have a little nutrient burn? They're sensitive to that at a tender age. #2's soil looks wet...

• The Reservoir was sitting at 22,5L so it was just another 2,5L to to get to 25
  • For 10L of water I need 2,5ml of each (Micro,Veg & Bloom) so 6.25ml of each for 25L
  • I mixed those nutes in the remaining 2,5L that I would use to top the res.
  • After mixing I checked the res and (pH 5.7, µS 519 and ppm 260)

I just realized that this is actually full strength :(, so then I had to drain 12,5L and add 12,5L plain mineral water, which should be about half strength and that gave me the following:

pH 5.8
µS 312
ppm 157

we will have to see how that goes :)

2017-05-20_19_29_33_resize.jpg
2017-05-20_19_37_49_resize.jpg
2017-05-20_19_38_01_resize.jpg

2017-05-20_19_40_32_resize.jpg
2017-05-20_19_41_16_resize.jpg
2017-05-20_19_41_29_resize.jpg
2017-05-20_19_42_09_resize.jpg
2017-05-20_19_42_21_resize.jpg

All your plants are looking good. ;)

At first your half-strength seedling mix looked pretty low PPM to me, but then I remembered I'm used to being at the other end of the growth cycle with a full-grown (dwarf) plant chugalugging nutrients like there's no tomorrow (which in a way there isn't--she probably gets chopped down in about a week...)

Looks like all it well! :thumb:

Many thanks for the kind words, cant wait to smoke these puppies :lot-o-toke:

• Bag seedlings seem to be responding well, except for slight curling downwards of leaves due to the flushing (extra water).
  • Confidential seedling also looks good, checked the res and pH 6.7, µS 317 and ppm 159. I adjusted pH down to 6.1

pH 6.7, µS 317 and ppm 159. I adjusted pH down to 6.1

I'm a recent convert to the church of micro pH adjustments. I say it that way because I'm kind of acting on a hunch and a prayer, but also I've been reading lately about swinging the pH too much at one time stresses the plant. My pH fell to 5.5 today and I got it back up to 5.7 with half an ml of pH Up in three pints of nutes added over the course of about 12 hours. (I've come a long way from when I used to just squirt half an ml of pH adjuster straight into the reservoir. :trance:)

I put some budlet trimmings in my Sub-Herb vape unit the other day and they did the job, but without proper curing they tasted downright nasty. I'm practicing my curing technique by "jarring" the leaves that I've pulled off the plant, hoping that I'll know enough about the fine art of curing not to ruin my buds when they finally come off the plant...

So much to learn!

Happy Growing! :)

I'm a recent convert to the church of micro pH adjustments. I say it that way because I'm kind of acting on a hunch and a prayer, but also I've been reading lately about swinging the pH too much at one time stresses the plant. My pH fell to 5.5 today and I got it back up to 5.7 with half an ml of pH Up in three pints of nutes added over the course of about 12 hours. (I've come a long way from when I used to just squirt half an ml of pH adjuster straight into the reservoir. :trance:)

I put some budlet trimmings in my Sub-Herb vape unit the other day and they did the job, but without proper curing they tasted downright nasty. I'm practicing my curing technique by "jarring" the leaves that I've pulled off the plant, hoping that I'll know enough about the fine art of curing not to ruin my buds when they finally come off the plant...

So much to learn!

Lol, yeah pH swing within the recommended range is a good thing from what I understand ( which Is not that much) :) as different nutes get absorbed by the roots at different ranges.

Must be a nice feeling to be able to taste all of your hard work even if it was too early, I'm sure at least you get an idea of what it would be like.

Lol, yeah pH swing within the recommended range is a good thing from what I understand ( which Is not that much) :) as different nutes get absorbed by the roots at different ranges.

Looking at the label of the GH FloraMicro, I see that a lot of the nutes are chelated with EDTA, which if I remember my chemistry from decades ago, means that they can be released over a much broader range (e.g. iron can be absorbed above pH 5.5, etc.). That gives me some comfort when the pH decides to stay over 6 for days at a time.

So much to learn!

Ugh, I'm new to hydro. Doing a bubbleponics setup but I'm in a unfinished garage and already seen water temps of near 90 degrees. That wasn't in my box where the plants grow but just setup on the floor. Not sure hydro is a reality for me right now. Your comments got me thinking about how I adjust ph. I gather it's wrong to just add ph down directly?

Ugh, I'm new to hydro. Doing a bubbleponics setup but I'm in a unfinished garage and already seen water temps of near 90 degrees. That wasn't in my box where the plants grow but just setup on the floor. Not sure hydro is a reality for me right now. Your comments got me thinking about how I adjust ph. I gather it's wrong to just add ph down directly?

My reservoir is at 83F right now and still healthy. Having kept fish for many years, I know that lots of circulation and lots of aeration can keep bacteria under control. I'm also dosing good bacteria using HydroGuard at every weekly reservoir refresh. I think if your humidity is not high you could wrap cloth around your reservoir, keep it wet (pump?), and blow a fan on it to use evaporative cooling. Just a thought. Personally, I'm thinking that indoor grows make the most sense during the cool/cold weather months when excess heat heats your house and the res won't overheat. As soon as I finish my indoor grow I'm starting one out on my sunny deck.

As for pH adjustment, I think it's just common sense not to have the pH of the tank swinging all over. If you have excellent circulation in your res, then squirting a little pH Up/Down right in probably doesn't make a difference. The more important thing is not to add too much at one time, I think.

Here's a good read on hydro: Advanced nutrient management for hydroponics growers

My reservoir is at 83F right now and still healthy. Having kept fish for many years, I know that lots of circulation and lots of aeration can keep bacteria under control. I'm also dosing good bacteria using HydroGuard at every weekly reservoir refresh. I think if your humidity is not high you could wrap cloth around your reservoir, keep it wet (pump?), and blow a fan on it to use evaporative cooling. Just a thought. Personally, I'm thinking that indoor grows make the most sense during the cool/cold weather months when excess heat heats your house and the res won't overheat. As soon as I finish my indoor grow I'm starting one out on my sunny deck.

As for pH adjustment, I think it's just common sense not to have the pH of the tank swinging all over. If you have excellent circulation in your res, then squirting a little pH Up/Down right in probably doesn't make a difference. The more important thing is not to add too much at one time, I think.

Here's a good read on hydro: Advanced nutrient management for hydroponics growers

Thanks, I've read a few basic articles. Enough to get me in trouble, which is the usual for me hehe. I'll check that link out and I just had some hydroguard delivered from Amazon and got some z7 on the way. How you gonna keep temps down on a sunny deck?Maybe my hydro grow is more possible than I think.

I shall cease to derail the thread now haha, I think the plants look great OP and although my experience is limited I'll pull up a chair for this one man!

Thanks, I've read a few basic articles. Enough to get me in trouble, which is the usual for me hehe. I'll check that link out and I just had some hydroguard delivered from Amazon and got some z7 on the way. How you gonna keep temps down on a sunny deck?Maybe my hydro grow is more possible than I think.

I shall cease to derail the thread now haha, I think the plants look great OP and although my experience is limited I'll pull up a chair for this one man!
Hahahhaha no problem, many thanks the more the merrier.:)

We are at least covering something that is effecting the three of usl. I found that my pH also climbs during the day, I am currently letting it swing as it will then allow for the absorption of different nutrients. I do worry about where it swings when I am not checking though.

I found something interesting though. I found that my ppm raised slightly instead of going down. I need to double check this today.

Hahahhaha no problem, many thanks the more the merrier.:)

We are at least covering something that is effecting the three of usl. I found that my pH also climbs during the day, I am currently letting it swing as it will then allow for the absorption of different nutrients. I do worry about where it swings when I am not checking though.

I found something interesting though. I found that my ppm raised slightly instead of going down. I need to double check this today.

So, pH... Sometimes mine goes up. Sometimes mine goes down. And sometimes mine goes WAY down, as in crashes to 4.9. I have tried to find some solid info on this, but it looks like it's complicated--nitrogen as NO3- versus nitrogen as NH4+, hydronium ions, possibly bacterial interactions...

I kept fish for many years, and one of my takeaways from that was that a big, 60-gallon tank was much easier to manage than a small 20-gallon tank because it didn't change temperature as fast and any chemical changes were smaller relative to larger tank volume.

I thought that with a dwarf strain that a 2.5 gallon reservoir would be enough, but next time I'm doubling that to 5 gallons in hopes that I won't have to micromanage the pH like I have for the past couple of days (which have been hot, and so may have something to do with it as well. My reservoir was at 84 degrees last time I checked...)

I thought that with a dwarf strain that a 2.5 gallon reservoir would be enough, but next time I'm doubling that to 5 gallons in hopes that I won't have to micromanage the pH like I have for the past couple of days (which have been hot, and so may have something to do with it as well. My reservoir was at 84 degrees last time I checked...)

My reservoir sits at 25 Liters which is about 6.6 Gallons, so I started capturing my readings more frequently so that I could see what the max and min swing is, perhaps this can give you an idea of what to expect when going to a bigger reservoir?

My readings today:

07:50

pH 5.7
µS 330
ppm 164
res temp 19.9 C

16:46

pH 5.6
µS 330
ppm 166
res temp 20 C

19:37
Same readings as 16:46

The seem to be doing alright, with the confidential in the res showing more growth and catching up slowly with the bag seedlings who are double its age, there was definitely some growth stunting at a stage. I have found that the confidential seedling does this weird thing where it twists its leaves sometimes(You can see in the pics below).

some pics:)

BAG SEEDLING #1
IMG_0701_resize.JPG

IMG_0703_resize.JPG

IMG_3438_resize.JPG

BAG SEEDLING #2
IMG_3431_resize.JPG

IMG_3444_resize.JPG

IMG_3442_resize.JPG

CONFIDENTIAL CHEESE
IMG_3448_resize.JPG
IMG_3447_resize.JPG
IMG_3450_resize.JPG

Looking very pretty. Bag Seed #2 is still looking a little stretchy in profile, but otherwise they look perfect!

Looking very pretty. Bag Seed #2 is still looking a little stretchy in profile, but otherwise they look perfect!
Thanks, yeah you are 100% correct. They actually both seem to have stretched. These were the first 2 test subjects. All in the name of gaining experience.

Thanks, yeah you are 100% correct. They actually both seem to have stretched. These were the first 2 test subjects. All in the name of gaining experience.

They still look great! Bag Seedling #1 in that shot above looks almost like a paper cutout model of a pot seedling it's so perfect. They're just reaching up for more light!

Back
Top Bottom