2020 Outdoor Organic Grow Central Canada

Have great weekend everyone.
PXL_20200925_193042207.jpg

Keep your head down out there
:peace: :surf:

Little update, and a little complaining.
First some pics.

PXL_20200926_134733708.MP.jpg
PXL_20200926_134727378.jpg
PXL_20200926_134649926.jpg
PXL_20200926_134633541.jpg

And the complaining, i feel the trichome production is not where it should be. I will need to mitigate this next season. :nomo::reading420magazine:. This is why I was asking Celt about bulking up time frames.

PXL_20200926_134818303.jpg
PXL_20200926_134749241.jpg
PXL_20200926_134706755.jpg
PXL_20200926_134700723.jpg
PXL_20200926_134655250.jpg

Except for the cal issues, which was my fault, never went back to get oyster shells and gypsum.

So goal will be better amendment management, and some kind of trichome building.

Might be the specific strain (crop king) also, I have more of these seeds, so what ever I changed for next season I will at least have the same seed batch to compare to. Or fuck purple kush all together next year... :hmmmm:

Any suggestions all suggestions are welcome...

Edit: grammar {for the grammar police :rofl: )

Your having alot better luck than I did with CK purple kush. I grew 4 and all 4 hermied on me.
Fck bro, don't say that... I'm really trying not to stress them. But shit that sucks...

Last time I use them for sure. Their NYC diesel was a total flop, but they were autos. Autos and I don't get along well so I can't total blame the seeds. But if the PK causes me issues, I will blame the seeds.

Anyone ever try "splitting" in the last 7-14 days before harvest to boost trichome production?

Or super cropping, (I think that's what they call it) for same reason increase trichome production..
At this late stage of flowering would be the question.

I'm thinking I might try one of the mentioned methods on one plant.

Anyone ever try "splitting" in the last 7-14 days before harvest to boost trichome production?

Or super cropping, (I think that's what they call it) for same reason increase trichome production..
At this late stage of flowering would be the question.

I'm thinking I might try one of the mentioned methods on one plant.
I supercropped last year, but that was during stretch, and was solely done to maintain a stealth profile to keep my plants from neighboring eyes. I don't know if that added to potency.

I haven't done stem splitting before but may try it next grow.

I had the experience of once growing a late germinated plant in a ceramic pot that was smaller than ideal. it would heat up in the sun and every day it seemed, during flowering the plant would be visibly wilted from the heat by end of each day. The resulting buds were the most sticky I have had, it was like they were varnished with resin, and were very stiff and hard like you could imagine 2 or 3 coats of varnish would give. It was a bag seed and it's resulting high certainly surpassed it's mother's buds. @Maritimer has been investigating drought stress and other approaches to increase resin yields in his really interesting thread where he refers to the process of increasing resin production as rezination. Exceptionally High FECO Yields

drought stress
I was reading about that also, how drought stress can increase trichome production. Its trying to find a correct method.
That's also the one I'm probably most comfortable with, seems to be less stressful.

My greatest fear is stressing to much at late flower, and turn her hermi.

One of the plants is really underdeveloped compared to the other's so she'll be the experimental girl. I'll split or super crop.
I'm figuring at least three weeks left maybe four. So it'll happen soon.

Maybe I'll try some drought stress for one also. :hmmmm:

:ganjamon: :peace:

I am probably speaking from ignorance here, but if you do some sort of stress in late flower, like in the last 2 or 3 weeks in an attempt to increase potency/resin/trichomes, even if the plant had hermie response wouldn't it then be too late to effect things much? I would assume that even if it grew some male balls that it would be almost harvest time by that point.

I am probably speaking from ignorance here, but if you do some sort of stress in late flower, like in the last 2 or 3 weeks in an attempt to increase potency/resin/trichomes, even if the plant had hermie response wouldn't it then be too late to effect things much? I would assume that even if it grew some male balls that it would be almost harvest time by that point.
Most likely, the few articles I read about splitting says you should do about 10 or so days before harvest. Reputable articles maybe, probably not...

SO after reading more of this I see that I could use this method. Seventh week of flower, which is where I am based on the theory that outdoor plants start to produce flower hormones when dark periods are at ten hours. So I am six weeks in aprox.

Screenshot_20200927-072254.png

The thread also mentions that this strain was an 8 week flowering strain, that would lead me to believe that this needs to be done the last weeks of flower?

Quote:
These results were achieved by gradually drying the substrate over eleven days until plant WP reached around -1.5 MPa during week seven in the flowering stage. Comparable results can be expected using leaf wilting as a drought stress indicator with fertigation triggered at a leaf angle 50% higher than in its turgid state. This method for administering drought-stress and the results of this study should be applicable for similar varieties of chemovar II cannabis; however, other chemovars or varieties may respond differently.

Didn't want to tag Maritimer, I'm sure he's busy, but thank you for sharing. :thanks:

Measuring the leaf angle how would one go about that?

Measuring the leaf angle how would one go about that?
Strictly speaking I imagine measuring the leaf angle would be best done for indoor growers who can completely manage the amount of watering the plants get. Because I grow outdoors, I was simply judging by how much water I gave them to try and keep them a bit wilted, while trying to work it in with any natural rainfall which luckily barely any fell. There was a graphic someone posted on the desired leaf angle and altho I looked for it I can't find it. The initial research I read of Caplan, suggested carrying out drought stress over the last 10 days of flowering. I understand that Caplan's research now is suggesting increases of 20-30% are possible!

The initial research I read of Caplan, suggested carrying out drought stress over the last 10 days of flowering.
That was my understanding too, so if that's the case i have a ways before trying that.

Strictly speaking I imagine measuring the leaf angle would be best done for indoor growers
I always forget people grow that way too :rofl:

Because I grow outdoors, I was simply judging by how much water I gave them to try and keep them a bit wilted, while trying to work it in with any natural rainfall which luckily barely any fell.
Yeah I was thinking that I would just go with what I know, the look and feel of the leaf and just general overall look of the canopy.

I guess the question is, after the extended drought, do i water before cropping?
For example if the plant could handle 10-12 days of drought, should she be watered then cut 2-3 days after or something.

Or drought and cut.:hmmmm:

:volcano-smiley:

Yeah I was thinking that I would just go with what I know, the look and feel of the leaf and just general overall look of the canopy.

I guess the question is, after the extended drought, do i water before cropping?
For example if the plant could handle 10-12 days of drought, should she be watered then cut 2-3 days after or something.

Or drought and cut.:hmmmm:
Last year I reduced the water for about the last 2 weeks before harvest, I did that simply by how they looked so to my eye they appeared thirsty but not dying! I carried that up to harvest without giving them a full drink, and then I hung them upside down as whole plants to dry for about 3 - 3.5 weeks and then dry trimmed and jarred the buds, by which time they were on their way to being cured. After that I only burped the jars twice and now after 5-6 months they all appear (thankfully) to be in great dried cured condition.

I believe from my previously mentioned old grow where I didn't intend or want to give drought stress but the conditions were such from the heat that the plant in question got repeatedly drought stressed and it occurred for probably at least 6 weeks, at the time the resulting resin increase I put down to the plant trying to protect itself from the dehydrating conditions it was under. Caplan's initial study was only for the final 10 days. Perhaps longer would be even more effective like my original mentioned grow but if the plant grew under drought stress the whole time I guess that maybe the cola sizes/yield would be smaller, whereas if only carried out in the last 10 days then I guess the plant is able to freely produce colas as big as it wants before drought stress starts. There's clearly room for experimentation here!

So are you gonna pull a "kool-aid man"? That Murphy's Law bit figures, still worth it, Murphy would have got you either way!
The purple flowers are really very pretty and all those bugs trapped, looking great.

Back
Top Bottom