2L Hempy Coco Coir

hopefully you get those bugs taken care of.. I finally managed to get my mite infestation under control and am almost rid of them.. Good luck man and do everything you can to save your plants and not have to start over.. It's a shame losing mothers you've grown to love

Hey there 12! Bugs suck (figuratively and actually)! I sure hope you don't have to shut down to get rid of them all.

Talk about going through a lot at once! My thoughts are with you my friend.
Hang in there.

:peace: and Good Luck :thumb:

OrganicTreees giving it a few weeks and see how things are looking. I don't think it is possible for 100% clean without a restar, but for now I have to keep it up until Summer planning to restart during the hottest times of the year. Never dealt with mites but any bugs is still stressful.

MSquared thank you we shall see how well SNS products works. Been getting them from contest wins now they are put to good use. Thanks!

ilikebike google "thrips" and click on image you see what it looks like. The flying ones are adult. Could be gnats, but if they are white and they jump, which can bite then definately are thrips. They start off down at the soil then slowly move up to the plants over time. When I was using FFOF they stayed down in the soil for a good few months then moved up.

ftw, im straying away from soil after these bitches grow out, im even thinkin of leaving my mother plant in a huge bubble bucket or something.
Because i think its ludicrous to have this problem when we pay all the money for name brand soil, i understand its because of all the organic compost and shit in it but i grew my first PPP with lowes brand soil and never once had a problem with them.
And i dont like the idea of "sterilizing" my soil in my oven, going to smell like burnt soil and will probably make anything i cook after that smell like soil. that stinks that even though you got rid of your soil you still have those thrips. i hope you get it taken care of peace!

SpiriTHC,

Yes, Ladybugs would help in this situation...

ilikebike,
not talkin any bat guano or anything, but... SuperSoil, Home Depot, 7 bucks... GREAT SOIL! and with BPN Root Magic of course :thumb:

:peacetwo:

I've ran some lady bugs few months ago and they all die off within 2 weeks. There were 5000 unleashed. I'll continue to spray with SNS-203 and monitor the population.

Some of the stuff I'm smoking at the moment. These are cured and ready to enjoy. :Namaste:

MG_34571.jpg
MG_3445.jpg
MG_3444.jpg
MG_3434.jpg
MG_3441.jpg
MG_3437.jpg
MG_3430.jpg
MG_3417.jpg
MG_3415.jpg

ftw, im straying away from soil after these bitches grow out, im even thinkin of leaving my mother plant in a huge bubble bucket or something.
Because i think its ludicrous to have this problem when we pay all the money for name brand soil, i understand its because of all the organic compost and shit in it but i grew my first PPP with lowes brand soil and never once had a problem with them.
And i dont like the idea of "sterilizing" my soil in my oven, going to smell like burnt soil and will probably make anything i cook after that smell like soil. that stinks that even though you got rid of your soil you still have those thrips. i hope you get it taken care of peace!

Soil's not for everyone... but I'd hate to see you abandon it for a few thripes... Mosquito dunks are supposed to work well. Instead of sterilizing the soil, use the bacteria to wage war against the little bastards. The dunks are a form of Bacillus thuringiensis v. israelensis, and they are supposed to be safe enough to use in watering troughs for livestock. The bacteria will eat all larva, not just mosquito larva.

The reason these pests cause us so many problems is because most growers are in a steril environment where there are no natural predators, whether insect, bacteria, or fungus. This is one of the reason plants grown in an organic soil teaming with life seem to shrug off attacks from all sorts of pests.

Even when we start with the soil mixes that contain beneficial bacteria and fungi, if you don't feed the soil or add chemical nutes they will just die off... Anyway, just my two cents. Here's the info from the EPA on the bacteria in the dunks if anyone's interested:

Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis strain EG2215 (006476) Fact Sheet | Pesticides | US EPA

:Namaste:

ilikebike right now I'm using coco because I'm not comfortable with hydro and wil not go back to soil, it is a great medium. Now, using coco with DWC and Hempy design just made it all better. You can still use soil but keep the bugs on check. If you decide to start over everything has to be clean before starting a new seed. You can do this at some other place so when you do restart the new plants are ready to go. Don't have to wait for veg time.

SpiriTHC the lady bugs I got had couch lock or something it didn't hunt the thrips down. Eventually all died, many flown to the light, while some starved, and a few got lost.

Vapedogg223 great info. Yeah soil has its greatness but is not for everyone. If someone new ask me what medium to start with, I'll say coco coir it is so much easier and has great results.

Mrgivemethat which one you want to try first?

HomeMedGrower thank you will report in a week or so on SNS203 results!

Hey everyone I will be starting a new journal soon and closing this one. This journal is getting way too big. Time to start a new chapter. For the fresh journal I'll be using JD Light ballast - 600w for one of the 4x4 flowering tent vs Lumatex 600w so should be interesting. DigitalGrow was giving away like 10 of them, 5x 600w and 5x 1000w to growers for reviews. I signed up for the 600w and will let it rock out with the Digilux HPS bulb under the big kahuna reflector. Should be interesting. Been getting tons of free stuff lately. Also won some lottery (small amount) throughout the week. Guess the universe is providing some after my lost of growing space. Time to move on to bigger and better things. I'll still be using Blue Planet Nutrients and everything the same setup with the new super exhaust system. More details soon...

Heya Twelve. I am dealing with thrips right now. I have a combination attack going:

First, Mosquito dunks in my reservoirs - safe, non toxic, supposed to be really effective on killing larva for thrips and fungus gnats. I put it in a nylon sock with a rock in it to keep chunks out of res., the rock lets it sink to bottom. I put 1/2 dunk in clean water res, and half in my active res. I've seen no ill effects to plants, or PH, etc.

Second, sprayed everything well with SMS 203, and will do second treatment in a few days.

Third, installed hot shot pest strip - seems safe enough, and also supposed to be very effective.

Fourth, I sprayed "home defense max" around perimeter of grow room, and entrance to, etc.

SNS also has a systemic product (209?) that helps the plant build a protective layer/coating that thrips don't like, but it takes time and is more of a preventative not a fix for existing infestation/prob.

I have to thank Mr Smith and Bassman for the tips - I went thermonuclear on those mofos. :goodluck:

Fourth, I sprayed "home defense max" around perimeter of grow room, and entrance to, etc.

Hey hows the success on that Home Defense Max for you? I sprayed like 3 bottles of that stuff around the outside last year, and it didn't do anythings...

Xlr8 where did your thrips came from? Good to see you with a plan. Thanks for sharing. I will have to look into Mosquitoo dunks. Continue using SNS, I also mix the 203 with their pre-mix ready spray for spider mites. Been using that and seem to see less of them now. Got 5 blue strips around the tent looks like infestation, going to get more of the strips and continue to monitor them. I also like putting tape on my fingers and run through the leafs seem to help catching them on sight.

I wonder if thrips glow under black light? It will make catching them much easier. A friend have one so I will test this out lol.

Xlr8 where did your thrips came from? Good to see you with a plan. Thanks for sharing. I will have to look into Mosquitoo dunks. Continue using SNS, I also mix the 203 with their pre-mix ready spray for spider mites. Been using that and seem to see less of them now. Got 5 blue strips around the tent looks like infestation, going to get more of the strips and continue to monitor them. I also like putting tape on my fingers and run through the leafs seem to help catching them on sight.

I wonder if thrips glow under black light? It will make catching them much easier. A friend have one so I will test this out lol.

Not sure, but I never got them bad. Maybe I brought one home from grow store or something? I'm usually pretty careful, and I do all hydro and coco, so who knows. I've had fungus gnats before, too, and from now on I'm just going to keep doing the dunks in the reservoir and taking preventative measures to keep them out. I'm curious about the black light - I'll stay tuned for that one! I hate bugs...

Hey hows the success on that Home Defense Max for you? I sprayed like 3 bottles of that stuff around the outside last year, and it didn't do anythings...

Hi Astonr420,

I can't really answer that yet as I just started using it in the past week. Hopefully, between that and my other precautions bugs will find my garden most unhospitable and go somewhere else... or DIE! ;)

Hey 12, have you tried using compost tea(or microbe tea) as a foliar. It seems to take care of the plants. I had mites and thrips and they are under control after one application. I'll let you know long term. Also took care of fungus gnats, nice bonus. Just getting started on the Hi Brix path. I had garden plants and ornimentals that I brought inside in the fall....everything in FFOF/potting soil blend. Been slowly building up over the last month.

Back
Top Bottom