300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Enjoy those last moments w/ your PPP girls. I'm sure that the quality, smell, and amount will all be exactly what you wanted. I look forward to the harvest report and most importantly, pictures! Keep up the good work SS

I've got some nice Kush men who would love to come over and meet your girls....couldn't hurt anything now......:grinjoint:

Just teasin' em. We're all such liars to these plants.

They want to come over and meet my senescent old ladies? what a bunch of pervs, lol.

pollinated but too old to make seeds, that's even sadder than never being pollinated at all.

BTW, I watched a very interesting documentary last night called "The Botany of Desire".

It's on Netflix if you got it.

The basic premise is that it's not so much humans that have exploited plants to our benefit, but rather the other way around, when you look at the bigger picture.

Enjoy those last moments w/ your PPP girls. I'm sure that the quality, smell, and amount will all be exactly what you wanted. I look forward to the harvest report and most importantly, pictures! Keep up the good work SS

I'm taking lots of pics and documenting everything I can think of that might be useful.

Should be done by tomorrow and then I'll post the pics.

thanks MJ, and congrats on your recent LED harvest!

OK, I pulled an all-nighter last night and harvested the HID tent.

Went very well. It took every bit of time I expected it would, but I had a good time.

The HID buds are drying and I'm probably going to harvest the LED tent tomorrow night. I unplugged the Spectra last night, so they've been in the dark for one cycle.

I'm completely exhausted, so I'm going to go crash and dream sweet PPP dreams ;)

What a great job!! Awesome, informative journal once again! Way to go SS! Can't wait for the smoke report and pics!!

nice pic!

hey SS my tent at night is staying at 68 degrees with my heater on 80 high. do u think this is ok for my OC+ plant or should i try and raise the temps at night more?

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

I don't want to sound too stupid but this is all sorta new to me....Why do people cut the leaves tips on clones?? Is there a notifiable benefit...Please don't be too aggressive with your response to a probably rather silly question....Just tryin to learn!!:thanks:

I don't want to sound too stupid but this is all sorta new to me....Why do people cut the leaves tips on clones?? Is there a notifiable benefit...Please don't be too aggressive with your response to a probably rather silly question....Just tryin to learn!!:thanks:

Depending on the size of the clone and the size of the fan leaves, sometimes there is to much leaf matter for the little clone to support with water considering it does not have a root mass to uptake any. If you cut the end of the larger fan leave off you decrease the size of the mass which the clone needs to support. This will help in keeping stress to a minimum and the clone can concentrate its energy on creating roots and not trying to save itself. It will also keep it from wilting since transpiration will be minimized to due to the lack of leaf mass. Hope I made this simple enough and it helps.

By cutting the tips of the fan leaves back you will decrease the leaf mass which the clone needs to support at the time it has no roots. This will keep the plant from wilting and will help the plant concentrate its energy on root production instead of trying to survive.

Sorry about the double post. The first one did'nt show up at first so I rewrote it again in a simpler form.

Harvest

HID PLANTS

HID 1

P1010586.JPG

P1010600.JPG

P1010593.JPG

P1010606.JPG

P1010611.JPG

HID 2

P1010626.JPG

P1010631.JPG

P1010632.JPG

P1010635.JPG

P1010660.JPG

HID 3

P1010666.JPG

P1010664.JPG

P1010665.JPG

P1010669.JPG

P10106701.JPG

HID 4

P1010679.JPG

P1010682.JPG

P1010681.JPG

P1010690.JPG

P10106911.JPG

P1010699.JPG

LED PLANTS

LED 1

P1010719.JPG

P1010726.JPG

P1010721.JPG

P1010730.JPG

LED 2
P1010760.JPG

P1010797.JPG

P1010761.JPG

P1010765.JPG

P1010766.JPG

LED 3

P1010793.JPG

P1010797.JPG

P1010795.JPG

P1010803.JPG

P1010807.JPG

P1010810.JPG

LED 4

P1010818.JPG

P1010825.JPG

P1010820.JPG

P1010821.JPG

P1010826.JPG

P1010828.JPG

P1010829.JPG

WOW! I pick the right moment for a stroll around 420!

Those are some wonderful looking naked plants.:cheer::cheer:

To busy drooling to try and make any comparisons. :grinjoint::grinjoint:

WOW!

Wow those are some beautiful girls. I like that they are all under 2 ft tall and have tons of colas just packed into the tightest possible formation. They all look like 2-2.5 oz yielders to me, but that's just my guess. Looking forward to the trimmed product and weights. I know it is a lot of work, but it's the fun kind of work.

I went through the same type of plants, aka one single cola in the center w/ a lot of LST cola's surrounding it. I also had to tie around the bottom branches to keep the mass of colas in the center. I'm curious if more aggressive LST in the first couple weeks of flower can help even out the canopy of LST. I'll have to practice this skill in my grows and keep a close eye on people with even canopys. Either way those are beautiful girls you have there and they look incredibly dense. I'm pretty impressed with PPP and your grow skills in both tents. Have fun trimmin those giant center colas. We all appreciate the hard work you put into this comparison grow.

When I try to do a visual comparison, what I am see'n is, the HID plants are a little more stretched with skinnier colas, but the height will keep the yields even with the, short, fatter LED plants. I'll take a guess that once everything is dried and curing that you'll notice the LED buds will individually be denser hence weigh out better. On the other hand the HID plants will have smaller, lower density buds, but more of them due to the extra height given for the buds to fill in. It looks pretty even up to this point and only the data will conclude the four champion ladies.

P1010617.JPG

P1010649.JPG

P1010671-1.JPG

P1010707-1.JPG

P10107561.JPG

P1010772.JPG

P1010814.JPG

P1010833.JPG

P1010621.JPG

P1010622.JPG
P1010658.JPG
P1010677.JPG
P1010712-1.JPG

P1010751.JPG
P1010768.JPG
P1010816.JPG
P1010835.JPG

TOTAL *WET* WEIGHTS:

HID - 929g
LED - 977g

There's nothing like handling and trimming buds to get a good feel for any differences, and there were some.

The wet weights may not reflect things very accurately, because I like to stop watering my plants several days before harvest, and therefore the LED plants were quite a bit drier when they were harvested a couple of days later than the HID plants. The fan leaves on the LED plants in the pics show how dry they were on harvest day.

So, I wouldn't put too much faith in the wet weights. When the RH on both groups of buds is at 60%, I'll post the dry weights, which should be accurate.

P1010706-1.JPG
P1010717.JPG
P1010836.JPG
P10108391.JPG

I couldn't find my second pair of snips, but that turned out to be a good thing, because I figured out a way to semi-quantify resin production. I just used a razor blade to scrape the goo off the snips and pressed it.

The difference in amount of resin accurately reflects the difference in how the buds feel. The LED buds are more heavily coated with resin than the HID buds. One interesting observation is that while the LED buds have more resin, the resin on the HID buds is stickier and more tenacious. I didn't wear gloves, and if I tried to pick up my camera when trimming the HID buds, it would leave gummy resin on it, whereas when trimming the LED buds, I had much more resin on my hands, but it didn't stick to the camera, so I could handle it without problems. I have no idea what the significance of this might be, just reporting it.

P1010646-1.JPG

P1010736.JPG

The LED buds took me longer to trim because they have a lower calyx/leaf ratio. The LED buds had more little sugar leaves, which were very heavily coated with trichs.

Trimming both groups felt very different. With the HID buds, trimming the leaves felt like cutting paper. The fleshy sugar leaves on the LED buds felt like cutting through velvet. Very different feel for each group.

If I wasn't doing this harvest as a comparison, I wouldn't have trimmed the LED buds down as much because the sugar leaves were so coated with trichs, but I had already trimmed the HID buds fairly tight, so I trimmed the LED buds the same way.

The lower calix/leaf ratio on the LED buds does not affect potency since the leaves were crusted with trichs, but it does mean that trimming tales a bit longer, at least with this strain.

No smoke report yet, but the scissor hash is just *excellent*. It expands a lot and the first hit I took had me coughing for a few minutes, but after that it just tastes really good and has me feeling just fine ;).

I'm going to post a few more random bud shots tonight.

have a great weekend peeps, and.....

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom