420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By HashGirl

Mmmmm, testers......yummy. Those look delicious HG. Killer job. How's it smell at your place?

It smells like dope. But it always smells like dope. :hookah:

It might be hard for me to smell different scents due to almost always having drying buds, buds being decarbed, buds in oil cooking, etc. especially these days.

I would like to tell you I smelled "citrus, coffee, oak, etc." when trimming GSC1 but it still just smells musty to me.

However, when I was trimming up my Lemon Auto yesterday, I definitely smelled citrus and skunk. So, progress?

It smells like dope. But it always smells like dope. :hookah:

It might be hard for me to smell different scents due to almost always having drying buds, buds being decarbed, buds in oil cooking, etc. especially these days.

I would like to tell you I smelled "citrus, coffee, oak, etc." when trimming GSC1 but it still just smells musty to me.

However, when I was trimming up my Lemon Auto yesterday, I definitely smelled citrus and skunk. So, progress?

Friendly piece of advice to take or leave. Dope is a term used for heroin, we try not to use that term anymore to describe cannabis, after everything we've been through disassociating with it :Namaste:

No pics today.

The balance of my GSC ladies all had some amber trichomes and since I much prefer a head high over a body high, I have been put into dark for 48 hours. (Not 36 hours like Emilya does because I don't feel like dealing with them in the evening, which is when it would be if I went for 36 hours.)

I chopped GSC1 down yesterday and she is currently drying.

I much prefer a head high over a body high
I was a little high in the head last night myself and got to thinking after my last GSC post.

I've always wondered about the whole head and body high expressed through the maturity of the flower. I am still curios if that can be manipulated through cultivars and hybridization. I mean, breeders have done everything else. It would be a matter of selectively breeding cultivars that hold that head high attribute longer into maturity. Then continuing to make it more and more of a feature of that new cultivar. Sounds like a good life-long 420 Mag comparative genetics project!

Seriously though...I am so sick of the corporate life. I'd love to work beside someone that is insanely passionate about growing and just be inspired. To be able to work on genetics projects like this but get paid for it. That would be amazing!

Seriously though...I am so sick of the corporate life. I'd love to work beside someone that is insanely passionate about growing and just be inspired. To be able to work on genetics projects like this but get paid for it. That would be amazing!

It is very nice being retired and not having to deal with certain people at work. However, due to the timing of my retirement coinciding with the start of a global pandemic, I have yet to find a friend in real life to hang with and talk all things cannabis. That's one reason why I like 420 so much because there are a lot of like minded people.

I've always wondered about the whole head and body high expressed through the maturity of the flower. I am still curios if that can be manipulated through cultivars and hybridization. I mean, breeders have done everything else. It would be a matter of selectively breeding cultivars that hold that head high attribute longer into maturity. Then continuing to make it more and more of a feature of that new cultivar. Sounds like a good life-long 420 Mag comparative genetics project!
That's an interesting concept Baked. Whatever genetics you create will still run up against the fact that when trichomes get overripe, they go amber and the THC degrades to a completely different cannabinoid: CBN, And CBN doesn't get you high, but it does create what we call "body stone" or couch lock.

I think of harvesting based on trying to get the best representation of the genetics. So if it's a known sativa, harvesting early isn't necessary and will leave you with less THC because it wasn't given the chance to ripen completely. Having some amber on a sativa won't make it an indica, though having a lot of amber will certainly make you feel heavy. So the old 10% amber rule at harvest should work.

On the other hand, if you're growing a known indica, there is no reason to let it go more amber than you would the sativa, because the indica is in the breeding, not the amber. Still best to harvest at peak ripeness unless you are looking to make sleep meds.

It is very nice being retired and not having to deal with certain people at work. However, due to the timing of my retirement coinciding with the start of a global pandemic, I have yet to find a friend in real life to hang with and talk all things cannabis. That's one reason why I like 420 so much because there are a lot of like minded people.
I can be your far away friend. I'm somewhat likeable. I also don't go out much with the pandemic and NJ being so over crowded. I talk to the plants more than anything...well that and my baby who clearly doesn't have the capacity to engage in conversation back with me at this juncture in his life.

All 4 girls have been chopped down and are now hanging to dry. I don't seem to have a photo of GSC1 pre-chop but I have the other ones. They're a lot wispier than I'm used to but the trichomes were showing amber so I chopped all of them down.

GSC2 - Age 137 Days
Day 52 Veg
Day 64 Flower

GSC2.jpeg

GSC3 - Age 137 Days
Day 52 Veg
Day 64 Flower

GSC3.jpeg

GSC4 - Age 138 Days
Day 53 Veg
Day 64 Flower

GSC4.jpeg

Group Shot Post-Chop:

Group Photo.jpeg

And, that's it for now. Once they're dry, I will trim and weigh and update this journal.

All 4 girls have been chopped down and are now hanging to dry. I don't seem to have a photo of GSC1 pre-chop but I have the other ones. They're a lot wispier than I'm used to but the trichomes were showing amber so I chopped all of them down.

GSC2 - Age 137 Days
Day 52 Veg
Day 64 Flower

GSC2.jpeg

GSC3 - Age 137 Days
Day 52 Veg
Day 64 Flower

GSC3.jpeg

GSC4 - Age 138 Days
Day 53 Veg
Day 64 Flower

GSC4.jpeg

Group Shot Post-Chop:

Group Photo.jpeg

And, that's it for now. Once they're dry, I will trim and weigh and update this journal.
Congrats on the final harvest. I see what you mean now about the buds being whispy/airy. I'm not sure what it could be. You were in 7 gallons right? I know you did GF like me too.

My 4 are still stacking so I'm not sure what they will look like in a few more weeks. I have a couple though that look like they may end up airy too. May end up chopping those little larfy buds off this weekend in the hopes of building up the main colas for the next few weeks.

Any theories what it could be? Do you still feel all your plants are/were more airy compared to the other grows?

Congrats on the final harvest. I see what you mean now about the buds being whispy/airy. I'm not sure what it could be. You were in 7 gallons right? I know you did GF like me too.

No, I was in 5-gallon pots.

My 4 are still stacking so I'm not sure what they will look like in a few more weeks. I have a couple though that look like they may end up airy too. May end up chopping those little larfy buds off this weekend in the hopes of building up the main colas for the next few weeks.

Any theories what it could be? Do you still feel all your plants are/were more airy compared to the other grows?

I suspect that I never really got a handle on using GF and that's where the fail was. I accept full responsibility and don't believe that GF is a bad product. I just don't know if it worked for me.

And, I think that a lot of the other GSC growers who had solid colas were either growing hydroponically or in LOS. So maybe GF works better for those types of grows rather than ProMix? I don't really know. I just know that the trichomes were showing me that they needed to be chopped. If it hadn't been for the trichomes, I would have let them go longer to try and get those solid colas.

Congrats on the GSC harvests HG! :thumb:

Not sure on the GF and ProMix, since it didn't work for me either. Of course, I was trying to stick with their original feeding schedule at the time, like you. I'm not sure if the new feed more/more often would work with ProMix or not because I've moved back to other nute mixes.

I do wonder if they've done extensive testing in soilless media though. I know that I was the test case for Vulx when they started sponsoring here, as they had really only tested in soil.

Congratulations on the harvest, HG.

I, as you already know had a seriously bad time in coco using the GeoFlora but my new plants in soil are pretty much on autopilot. Even my misbehaving gsc is growing normally now. With the coco it was just weird though. It was like they couldn't use the nutrients or something. I also found that there wasn't enough info on using it for coco. Things like whether or not you water it everyday like you would normally with coco or is it watered like soil? Also, did the Ph matter with coco? It was all just a little confusing and whatever I did was very wrong indeed as the plants went from bad to worse. Like I said, it's all going great now but I couldn't recommend using GeoFlora with coco based on my own disastrous experience.
In regards to your flowers which I think are lovely by the way. Is there anything wrong or different with your lighting? The plants look good but to me it looks like they were a little underpowered so to speak. One thing I noticed about one of my GSC is that it was really sensitive to light and it is much further from the lamp than the other plant. It has big buds despite being 24" from the light.
I'm just throwing ideas around as it would seem that something is out of place.
:passitleft:

Thanks, guys. I just don't know. I have GF left and it looks like I'll likely win more for the MOTM contest so my intention is to try it again but for the outside girls rather than the inside girls.

Also, on an aside note, I usually re-use my ProMix. Do you think it would be okay to do this with the GeoFlora that's mixed in?

I'll likely win more for the MOTM contest
Woooo!!! Congrats. Well deserved HG. Proud of ya!
I couldn't recommend using GeoFlora with coco based on my own disastrous experience.
seriously bad time in coco using the GeoFlora
I hadn't really thought about your early experience with coco. I'm glad you reminded us about that. I really do think this is fantastic news for everyone involved. Because NOW, we as consumers have a better grip on what the product can and can't do. I think it is important to note the watering difference between coco and soil has got to be a huge contributing factor. I agree that being in soil is basically autopilot and THAT is perfect for people like me. I really needed that confidence booster. If I were in either of your shoes, thinking I'm using great medium and fantastic nutrients but having issues...that would be really discouraging. That kind of stuff that has unknown answers wears on me so I can understand the frustration.

So glad to be a part of this. I've learned so much from all of you. HG, I learned loads here from all your questions and our awesome members breaking stuff down for you. You got some schooling and for the rest of the class to choose to listen.

*Disclaimer*
I was likely baked when reading your journal so expecting comprehension AND retention of wisdom is simply unrealistic! :hmmmm: :roorrip:

I think it’s a combination of genetics, environment (I double up on guano in flower with an intense light) and controlling the dry. Happy you are picking up citrus and skunk on your auto. Cheers
Mind if I ask why you doubled up on the guano when using an intense light? I have an intense light too and if that helps I'd love to know why. Thanks!

No, I was in 5-gallon pots.

I suspect that I never really got a handle on using GF and that's where the fail was. I accept full responsibility and don't believe that GF is a bad product. I just don't know if it worked for me.

And, I think that a lot of the other GSC growers who had solid colas were either growing hydroponically or in LOS. So maybe GF works better for those types of grows rather than ProMix? I don't really know. I just know that the trichomes were showing me that they needed to be chopped. If it hadn't been for the trichomes, I would have let them go longer to try and get those solid colas.
I have identified at least three phenotypes in my 11 plant GSC grow, each with different types of buds. At least a third of my plants did not have rock solid nugs, but they were dense trichome filled sativa type buds (and are drying down to very tight hard nugs) while another pheno had round golf ball sized indica type hard nugs while still on the vine and another stretched it out a bit and gave us a hard to trim very dense more elongated and complicated bud, not quite as rock hard as some of the others, but more dense. Not all buds are going to be the same, even within the same variety.

Back
Top Bottom