420Chic Intro Grand Daddy and Grape Ape

420Chic

Hello to all on 420. I am 420Chic. I have been smoking for a very long time. I just got my Medical Marijuana card in Feb 2010. Loving it.

I purchased the Deep Water Culture hydro system. It is set up for 6 small-medium plants with 4" net pots, hydroton, submersible water pump and an air pump with 2 small stones on a t split.

400 Watt HID system with reflective hood and MH/HPS Swithchable ballast
6x4 grow tent and 3 house fans.

General Hydro - Flora products for nutrients:
Flora Micro
Flora Grow
Flora Bloom

Other items:
SM-90 Multipurpose wetting agent
Watermax - for hard water and salt build up (have really hard water)

I currently have 3 Grand Daddy Purples and 3 Grape Ape.

I started these girls from clones purchased from a dispensary ranging from 2" to 3.5" on 06/25/2010.

I vegged them for 3 weeks on an 18/6 schedule they were approximately 8-10 inches when I started to flower on 07/14/2010. Swithch over the light ballast and bulb to the HPS swithched timer to the 12/12 day and night.

I am about 1 week into bloom, plants are thinning out getting ready. I will add my sweetener tomorrow, I have to go pick it up. I will keep you posted.

I will add pictures soon. I am so excited. I totally chemically fried my first grow. Lack of knowledge, gets you everytime.

I switched up the nutes from the powder sent with the Deep Water Culture package. They are garbage. I swith the tried and true Flora products, I have had such good luck with it, my girls are happy.

Stay tuned. .......................................... 420Chic:yahoo:

hey 420chic
:welcome: to the friendliest place around :hookah:
lots of friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful people here, so sit back, relax and enjoy.

In the mean time, take a look at these threads..

How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

and if ya need a hand uploading pics

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

that sucks about your first grow.. it happens,, hopefully with the help here,, your next one will be a HUGE success :yummy:

oh, there is a Deep Water Culture forum here,, the Deep Water Culture are a very friendly bunch

Deep Water Culture - 420 Magazine

:goodluck: and see ya around the forums

Welcome 420chic!

I blasted my first grow! 1 plant survived out of 6 and then I found the Deep Water Culture and it's been peaches and cream ever since!

Please come and visit us at the Deep Water Culture home:

And here is a little something about what it means to be a Deep Water Culture.

Hi 420chic, :welcome: to 420Magazine forums.
:thanks: for joining us, and great to have you here.
I switched up the nutes from the powder sent with the Deep Water Culture package. They are garbage.
I want you to know there are some great growers here who swear by these nutes. ;)
I'm guessing you have found the Deep Water Culture, if not here you go.
Deep Water Culture - 420 Magazine
I wiish you luck and no problems with your grow. :grinjoint:
I'll see you around the forums.
:peace:

Coco Joe,

Sorry if I offended you about the nutes, maybe it is just me. I have had the worst luck with those nutes. My res alwasy smelled bad. I think to I may have rotted the roots because I kept the water pump going on my first batch.

This one I am playing it smart.

I am having some problems now, I will post pics soon to show you, I am quit sure it is a nute problem.

Thanks for being so kind.

here are the pics
3662.jpg
second day of grow

420chic, Nice to meet you ! How are you water temps ? Try not to let it get warm to the touch or above 70 ! Do you have a smaller fan ? It's good to have a small fan blowing on the plants to help strenghten them . The fan you have would probably blow them into the next town !! Biggest problem is keeping your ph sarting at around 5.8 and let it climb over a few days to about 6.8 .Keep water temps down either by replacing water with colder water or adding small amounts of ice to the water (not too much don't let the ice rest on or near roots ) .I usually mix my water and nutes together in cold water than fill the res. ...Good luck have a good grow !:peace:

ol hippy

thanks for the info I do sometimes have issues with the water getting warm. I have the big fan faced at the wall so no direct wind the get pushed around. I also have one outside of the tent to blow the cool air from the room.

I need to invest in a fan for the light with some ducting. Next grow for now I have a small fan sucking the air out and pushing outside the tent when the light is on. I leave the tent open so the temp stays around 80'ish. Humidty is 40 to 45 most of the time.

I added FloraNectar sweetner to the res today at 1/2 strength with the top off. The Ph has been steady around 5.8 to 6.

The res smells like fresh appetizing lettuce however I want you to look at these pics not sure where I went wrong but i think it may be the mag and calcium. The roots are decent. I gave them an air bath today for 10 min and then put the res water i drained back in with the 1/2 gallon of ph water with the floranectar.

They have been consistent with drinking water. I also opened up the center of the plants by placing plant yoyo lines to train the girls outward so the center can get light as well.

What do you think so far?
4046.jpg

4055.jpg

41013.jpg

Lookin good so far I'd think from lookin at them they may be a bit hungry !? Usualy when the tips are turning down it means you might want to give them a little bit more of your veg nutes ! It's always better to use less than more you don't want to burn them ...You look like you have things under controll ! Just watch the res temps ,do you still have the drip lines and pump in there ? You should be able to take that out since your roots must be well into the water . :peace:

By all means take out that pump and drip lines! Those roots can get into the pump clog it up or pieces fall off and rot !! That should help with water temps a bit ! Plus it'l be easier to change res etc... You do have the little 3 1/2" net pots right ? If so than yes get that stuff out, I've never heard of them put on timers before , usualy thats when your using a flood table !? When I use the drip lines there always on just dripping till the roots hit the water... Oh well nothing hurt ! Onward and upward plants !! :surf:

420chic,
Welcome to 420, :welcome:such a peaceful and informative site. We're like FAMILY here.

You've found a very helpful site, well versed in knowledge about growing, legalization, medical uses, and even info on cooking with herb! Indoor, Outdoor, Soil, or Hydro (I'm a bubbles grower) CFLs, or HID lights, it is ALL here!

And the most helpful MODs you've ever met! Just ask one or any member here for guidance! Look for Soniq420, or The Butcher, ol hippy, , Green007, or Mostly Crazy, they are very knowledgable. OldMedicineMan has a great thread of information too! He's an old cool hippy about 68 or 69 years old. CocoJoe is another cool dude to check out. He's super helpful. :thumb: Really, EVERY MEMBER here is as helpful as can be.

You've already been given the best advise anyone can offer. Water temps in the reservoir are of the utmost importance.
I've done 8 successful grows with the BP system, and I've written newsletters and guides for Stealth Hydro many times too. The owner of SH is a good friend.

ol Hippy and MostlyCrazy are very knowledgable growers. MostlyCrazy was very modest about the Deep Water Culture, he was actually the FIRST Deep Water Culture and is the elected Chief and Spokseman for our little group. (I was 2nd)

Those "powder" nutes you mentioned are for first time growers and as the site says, expressly for CFL growers. They don't have to be precisely measured and are designed for the first time grower that does not have a ppm meter or knowledge about ppm and feedings and measuring nutes. I've used them because of the discount we get buying them, I am a CFL grower and I have learned how to increase the dosage as needed.

Peace I hope to see you around the forums, let me know if I can be of any help. Have you started a journal here yet?

:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom