420's Soil Purple Kush Journal

Leaves are in worse shape than yesterday. The one with more acidic soil (shorter one) has more brown spotted leaves like the above picture. The taller one has more leaves that are drying and crumpling up from the tip in.

I think I may have added a new problem by trying to pH correct with excessive lime. Soil becomes compact and even after it's broken up it still has drouble drying and not recompacting, making it harder for drainage

Is the general consensus that I have root rot and my only option is to either treat it or start a new grow?

I hate to say it, but at this point I'm starting to think that starting a new grow might be the best route, this time using lots of perlite, lots of light, temperature and humidity under control, etc.

I hate to say it, but at this point I'm starting to think that starting a new grow might be the best route, this time using lots of perlite, lots of light, temperature and humidity under control, etc.

Do you think that flipping to 12/12 is even worth it? And do you think that an exhale bag which was ppm tested at 1,100 is enough for a 4x4? Next grow I'm going to get smart pots to avoid any threat of overwatering and definitely have lots of perlite. Any soils you'd recommend? I want one that doesn't have to be pH'd because this Fox farms was just crazy acidic and i still think that played a role.

> Do you think that flipping to 12/12 is even worth it?
I think starting the flower cycle when the plants are still struggling would not be the best choice.

> And do you think that an exhale bag which was ppm tested at 1,100 is enough for a 4x4?
I don't know what an "exhale bag" is, but I do know that getting a grow room/tent to 1000+ PPM and keeping it there takes a lot of CO2 and a lot of planning. I'd suggest waiting until later to add CO2.

> Next grow I'm going to get smart pots to avoid any threat of overwatering and definitely have lots of perlite.
Sounds like a good idea. I like air pots, personally.

> Any soils you'd recommend? I want one that doesn't have to be pH'd because this Fox farms was just crazy acidic and i still think that played a role.
Yes. I had great luck with drain-to-waste coco coir, so I'd recommend buying a bag of prepared coco (General Hydroponics for example) and using GH FloraSeries + CALiMAGic calmag supplement. See the coco grow in my sig file for lots more information.

> Do you think that flipping to 12/12 is even worth it?
I think starting the flower cycle when the plants are still struggling would not be the best choice.

> And do you think that an exhale bag which was ppm tested at 1,100 is enough for a 4x4?
I don't know what an "exhale bag" is, but I do know that getting a grow room/tent to 1000+ PPM and keeping it there takes a lot of CO2 and a lot of planning. I'd suggest waiting until later to add CO2.

> Next grow I'm going to get smart pots to avoid any threat of overwatering and definitely have lots of perlite.
Sounds like a good idea. I like air pots, personally.

> Any soils you'd recommend? I want one that doesn't have to be pH'd because this Fox farms was just crazy acidic and i still think that played a role.
Yes. I had great luck with drain-to-waste coco coir, so I'd recommend buying a bag of prepared coco (General Hydroponics for example) and using GH FloraSeries + CALiMAGic calmag supplement. See the coco grow in my sig file for lots more information.

Ahhh already bought the smart pots. Hopefully they have good results! Is GH's coco acidic ? Maybe I'll try that, and still add perlite correct? An exhale bag is a bag full of material that releases co2 for up to 6 months. Idk if the whole tent would read at 1,100 ppm but the opening of the bag does. It's supposed to be enough co2 for a 4x4 area, I read good reviews on it. It's so hard for me to give up on this grow but at the same time I don't want to waste my time if I'm not going to get a good result. Also, I'm excited to start over with better materials

> Is GH's coco acidic ?
No, that's the point of buying prepared coco instead of bricks: it has been washed to get out all the salt and infuse it with calcium.

> still add perlite correct?
Yes, 25% to 33% really help it drain.

Coco isn't soil, it's just fiber, so ALL of the nutrients come from fertilizer. You should read up on coco growing before you try it. It's easy but it's different from soil. For example, you can and should water it daily.

Again, I'm very dubious about the CO2 bags. If you want to try CO2, I'd suggest a 20 pound tank, a regulator, and a needle valve.

Here's some info about adding CO2 to planted aquariums, but it's directly applicable to tents:
CO2 & the Planted Aquarium

I'm trying to find the coco mix at general hydroponics , can't seem to find it. I did notice however, that they have their own line of nutes for coco.

Also, people say to give nutes every other watering but in coco you have to water everyday. In that case do you still nute once a week or do you nute every other day ?

For coco, do you have to fertilize before starting? Or do you not give any nutes or anything until vegetative stage?

Its too bad that you couldn't save the plants, but I agree with Science, better to start over and give it another try. You will like Coco, its hard to overwater but you have to keep your pots from standing in the run-off.

Its best to start your seeds in a solo cup of coco and then up pot it to is final container a couple days before you are ready to start your training/topping. I just give the seedlings a light feeding of GH Rapid Start to boost the roots and then go to your regular feeding when you up pot them.

What are your running for an exhaust fan out of your tent to keep your temps in check?

Also, people say to give nutes every other watering but in coco you have to water everyday. In that case do you still nute once a week or do you nute every other day ?

I feed mine nutes every day, I only flush them with PH'd RO water just before the flower cycle and during the final week before chop.

These are coco gals;

IMG_0018266.JPG

IMG_0030_2_.JPG

1-1-18_002.JPG

12-29_022.JPG

Its too bad that you couldn't save the plants, but I agree with Science, better to start over and give it another try. You will like Coco, its hard to overwater but you have to keep your pots from standing in the run-off.

Its best to start your seeds in a solo cup of coco and then up pot it to is final container a couple days before you are ready to start your training/topping. I just give the seedlings a light feeding of GH Rapid Start to boost the roots and then go to your regular feeding when you up pot them.

What are your running for an exhaust fan out of your tent to keep your temps in check?

Ok cool so basically up until topping and training I'd only be giving them water and rapid start. And yeah it's a shame but until my new stuff comes in I'm going to play around and experiment with them. Who knows maybe I can save them hahaha. And nutes everyday ?! Really?? And you don't have any problems with toxicity?

Give them mild nutes in water every day. The coco grow in my signature file talks all about it, and here's a blog entry with a couple of good videos.

Ok cool so basically up until topping and training I'd only be giving them water and rapid start. And yeah it's a shame but until my new stuff comes in I'm going to play around and experiment with them. Who knows maybe I can save them hahaha. And nutes everyday ?! Really?? And you don't have any problems with toxicity?

Hopefully you can save them, if you are going to start over anyway, try changing out the soil, if you mess up no big deal and it will give you the confidence you need when the going gets rough.
I have had no problems with the coco other than when I was away for a couple weeks, my caretaker was watering right at the stem area of a couple in early veg (the two leggy 5' plants in the picture) one developed some stem rot but I caught it in time...when watering in coco like soil, you want to water near the edge of the pot to encourage the roots to spread out seeking water, watering near the stem makes them lazy and they don't develop roots...why should they when water is poured on them every day! :laughtwo:

Hopefully you can save them, if you are going to start over anyway, try changing out the soil, if you mess up no big deal and it will give you the confidence you need when the going gets rough.
I have had no problems with the coco other than when I was away for a couple weeks, my caretaker was watering right at the stem area of a couple in early veg (the two leggy 5' plants in the picture) one developed some stem rot but I caught it in time...when watering in coco like soil, you want to water near the edge of the pot to encourage the roots to spread out seeking water, watering near the stem makes them lazy and they don't develop roots...why should they when water is poured on them every day! :laughtwo:

That's actually a good idea. I'll try it out see how it works. I turned on the other light for the time being and now it's 84 degrees. I don't know why it goes up so drastically with the fan blowing cool air in. Any good evaporative coolers you'd recommend?? And ahhh would the same problem happen in soil?? I always watered at the stem. Everywhere I read that's what it always said to do.

Back
Top Bottom