PE636's Purple Kush Coco Grow

420-magazine-mobile153926797.jpg

420-magazine-mobile641299770.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey folks sorry I haven't been updating much been busy with work and having a nasty cold or something...
Well the purple kush is a beast, growing like crazy and very branchy despite only topping once. I've also topped one of the white widows and left the second WW untopped just for my own edification... Been using those fuzzy pipe cleaners to hold all the branches horizontal basically on the PK. The two white widows had the main stalk bent over. Every thing has been transferred to 3gal fabric pots. The PK was borderline starting to get root bound but lovely fuzzy super white roots and so did the white widows..
Got my screen finished the other day, and installed last night, just a wood frame with screws 2 inches apart all around and laced with string.

There is a bunch more growth tips that should be above the screen in a day or so. I have been taking off a few leaves and the bottom set of branches as they were all very dense. The PK especially will be getting more defoliating I think.
Have the three pots sitting on 2x2, all sitting in a deep rugged plastic boot mat . Going to have to invent a watering device as the screen is only 6 inches above the coco. I'm thinking a funnel with a 2 foot length of garden hose attached.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I realize it's kind of a go by feel thing but any thoughts would be helpful... I am thinking tomorrow I will do a flush with Ph'd water and shift towards flowering nutes and change the lights down to 12/12 over the course of a week or so. Should I do it gradually like that or does it even matter? I am not in any rush to harvest, but I definitely hope for some top quality bud so am willing to take a little extra time.
Speaking of time I spend a lot of time mixing up nutrients! How long in advance do you guys mix yours? I have been using floralicious plus and florablend which has some organic materials and the smell changes quite a bit by about 3 days. Not in a pleasant way either! It's kept cool and dark so I am not sure what to think...

I switched mine after 6 weeks of veg... it doubled in size from 33cm to 67cm... At least a month tho

Sent from my SM-J700M using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Wow, PE636. Found your journal and your grow looks amazing! Looking at your early pics, I'm still wondering if my plants are taking an extra long time to bush out. Mind you, today is only day 12. What do you think? Were yours bushing out by day 12? I noticed you don't have pics from that particular day, so it is hard for me to know. But you've done great with them so far. I've heard over and over that the more you let them veg the bigger your yield will be. Maybe 4 weeks would be too early for the white widows to go into bloom? I would wonder about letting them go another week. Then your PK would have that much more oomph to it, and your wws would have an extra week, closer to 5 weeks rather than 4. Just my very inexperienced opinion here. But I know how hard it must be not to flip that switch. If I were you, I'd be itching to flip it to 12/12 just to get my bloom on. Gawd, can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! I can hear myself now, just itching to flip it. But think of the rabbit and the hare and their race to the finish line. Slow and steady wins the big colas. So what if they weren't after colas... we are!

Looking great. Thanks for directing me to your grow journal. I really appreciate it!

All 3 have been flushed thoroughly with flora kleen and have started shifting nutes to reduce N for flowering.. The purple kush especially is maybe a bit too dark green looking but maybe it's my imagination.. Changed from the MH bulb to HPS and plan to reduce light by 1 hour a day down to 12/12. The PK is a bit over 6 weeks and the White Widows are at 4 now.

Switched to 12/12 as of lights out yesterday. Did some more moving around of some branches and removed about 20 leaves from below the screen. That was the second time defoliating about the same amount.
420-magazine-mobile656722624.jpg

420-magazine-mobile253086882.jpg

Fairly certain that's a white widow leaf on the left and PK on the right.
420-magazine-mobile898140122.jpg

Have been watering daily religiously, just to the point of a dribble of runoff. the coco is still moist but significantly lighter at that point.
Right now I am feeding 3ml/gallon each of micro, gro and bloom plus 10 drops /gallon of floralicious plus. According to the schedule I have been using looks like the gro is reduced from now on and bloom increased.
Getting a lot more noticeable resin on the leaves and the smell is getting fairly strong! Fingers are sticky after handling the plants even a little.. Glad I got a carbon filter even though it's vented outside and there are only distant neighbours. I'll have to sniff the exhaust tomorrow and see if it's working!

PE636,

I've been using coco, too, as you already know. But I've been watering a bit differently, according to a video I can send to you if you like. I can't remember if you've seen it or not yet on my own thread.

I water 3 times a day, with nutrients and all.

I place my plant in a big enough container to catch all the runoff. Then I water the shit out of it, flushing the old water completely into the container and catching it all. The I pick up the plant and let it drip until the drip is very slow and replace the plant in its place. Then I pour the runoff back into my jug and repeat the process for the next plant. I make new solutions of water every three days or so.

I know this sounds completely against what everyone says, but this video explains the science behind it without being too technical, and the science seemed to make a lot of sense to me. Originally, my plants were stunted and undernourished, completely scaring me with their limited growth. But since adopting this method of watering, my pants have really taken a turn for the better. Now they have the nutrients they need, the ones they have exhausted from the coco.

Coco isn't like soil. It is essentially a hydro system, where the coco serves simply to stabilize the plant in an upright position without fancy cups and such.

Coco retains 30% oxygen at the roots of the plant at all times, no matter how much you water your plants. You're not going to overwater your plants by doing this. Neither are you going to drown your plants in unwanted nutrients. Rather, you will be following a hydro system of nutrient and fluids administration, while still keeping your plants upright.

Try it for 3 days (after watching the video, of course), and watch how your plants zoom into new growth, new possibilities.

Hey, keep up the great work!

Thanks, ya I had seen all those videos before I even got started on this. I definitely won't be watering 3 times a day since I have to go to work and whatnot. Daily has been working great over here. Honestly I can't imagine them growing much faster than they have, every time I open the tent I am impressed (and I look pretty often!). I dispose of runoff since I have no idea what is in it for nutrients. Even if I had a tds meter I still would only know the total ppm not the ratios of different nutrients. The other thing is I don't want to spend any more on nutrients than necessary. At this point I am using about 4 liters a day combined for 3 plants.

I don't want to spend exorbitant amounts of money on nutrients, either. That's why I catch my runoff. Not sure if I'm supposed to be doing that or not. Right now, my plants are so small that the runoff that I gather up cannot be too depleted. And of course, I forget that most people work during the days. I'm on government disability, so my days are spent mostly working on my books and checking on my plants! hahahaha! Have a great day ahead of you.

Should say though I was watering multiple times a day when they were still tiny and in 4 inch pots since they were drinking /drying out the coco faster then. Once they moved to gallon pots and now into the 3gal fabric pots daily seemed to be sufficient. I'll be watching closely as buds start to form etc in case they start drinking more, perhaps I will have to do twice, but I will be happy as long as the coco is staying quite moist.

Yeah, I notice that my coco dries out quite quickly, too, and like I said, my plants are quite small still. They are only 2-1/4 inches tall at the moment, and just crossing the boundary of the edges of the dixie cups they are in. I noticed just today how much they drank during the afternoon/night. They had drank more than ever before.

I just picked up 1 gallon pots this week for them. I still need to drill some holes into them before transplanting. I expect that I'll transplant them come Wednesday sometime.

I'm not sure about reusing runoff, I have tested mine and the ph is always a good bit lower than what I put in and it just looks different/dirtier.
Hey Magnus8 how's the weather out there now? That freezing cold you have been dealing with has made it east, lovely - 30 windchill here this morning with a mix of sun and flurries! I cannot wait for Spring! That's soon right!?

Well, it's warming up a bit, but we haven't had the -2, 0 and +2 weather they've been promising us for the past few days. But damn! It was cold for a few days running there. And that windstorm we had 2 days ago made for brutal driving conditions.

And I hate to tell you, but spring is a looooong way off yet. Sorry, bud.

Back
Top Bottom