Myxo's - Coco Coir - Purple Kush - 2016

I did almost the same grow. I ended up switching my CFL's to a Mars Hyrdo LED setup; increased light output with less heat. Have fun! Growing is a very relaxing and rewarding experience. :)
I've heard so much about those lights, seems like everybody ia advertising them! . I bet those are cool stuff. Just ordered 3 more 40W CFLs and will get a few more later on. Getting excited about this.

I used 8 x 45W CFL's that I bought at a cost of around $9 each. Miscellaneous materials for the wiring and reflector probably brought the cost up to around $100. That was generating a lot of heat (330+ Watts); I've since measured the light output, and found that they were producing around 5000 lux. I picked up a Mars Reflector 96 for ~$180. It only pulls around ~240W and I measured the light output at around 9000 lux. Almost twice the cost, almost twice the light, but less heat. I wish I'd gone for the LED's right off the top. If your grow area is small, keep it in mind as an option if heat becomes a problem.

CKS Purple Kush is a great strain; I didn't have ideal grow conditions, probably messed up my harvest a bit, but still got great reviews on my finished buds. That strain, combined with Coco/perlite is very forgiving of mistakes during the grow process.

I used 8 x 45W CFL's that I bought at a cost of around $9 each. Miscellaneous materials for the wiring and reflector probably brought the cost up to around $100. That was generating a lot of heat (330+ Watts); I've since measured the light output, and found that they were producing around 5000 lux. I picked up a Mars Reflector 96 for ~$180. It only pulls around ~240W and I measured the light output at around 9000 lux. Almost twice the cost, almost twice the light, but less heat. I wish I'd gone for the LED's right off the top. If your grow area is small, keep it in mind as an option if heat becomes a problem.

CKS Purple Kush is a great strain; I didn't have ideal grow conditions, probably messed up my harvest a bit, but still got great reviews on my finished buds. That strain, combined with Coco/perlite is very forgiving of mistakes during the grow process.
Awesome! That is all good info man thanks a lot! I'd love an LED light system but I wanna keep my costs low for this first grow and try to get the very best of my CFL setup. There are great results documented out there using this method and that's what I'm looking for. The area where I'm growing is very ventilated and gets a lot natural light during 12 hrs, will take advantage of that to complement the CFLs.

Awesome! That is all good info man thanks a lot! I'd love an LED light system but I wanna keep my costs low for this first grow and try to get the very best of my CFL setup. There are great results documented out there using this method and that's what I'm looking for. The area where I'm growing is very ventilated and gets a lot natural light during 12 hrs, will take advantage of that to complement the CFLs.

If you are going to upgrade lighting systems then I would recommend you also look at a HPS system.

(I use LED, mars hydro. And HPS)

For the investment, HPS will see a nice return for lower startup cost ;)

Update: It's been a week since I started germination, the seeds have shown continous improvement day by day but are taking forever, I never expected such a long germination. At this point I'm not sure of this is OK or not...

Also just received my PPM and Ph meters. To my surprise the PPMs in my tap water are super low (31) and Ph (7.4).

Taken 20 min ago

420-magazine-mobile1571264867.jpg

I believe that my seeds are dead.

Such a newbie! They didn't opened completly, now the taproot is brown and I'm almost sure that they died. As a last efford I put the seeds on moist starter cubes over a heating pa, just in case they germinate. I really don't know what happened, I closely checked on them every 8 hrs during the first week, the paper towel never got dry and the temps were warm all the time, never overwatered I dont think they drowned neither.

420-magazine-mobile285571886.jpg

Ironically, my GF germinated a white russian seed I gave to her a few days ago. It was a seed I keept for about 6 months. Hers looks so much better than mines.

420-magazine-mobile1955854719.jpg

To keep on going, I followed your advice and started to germinate another purple kush seed and did the sandpaper trick and it's now in a shoot glass with water. Let's see what happens...

I've found that you really need to let the taproot grow a quarter of an inch or more before planting. I planted my last Sour Diesel too early (taproot had just cracked through the shell) and it never got past that stage. All the other seeds I've let grow quite a bit longer and they come up roses (or maybe something a little more green.:laughtwo: )

Better luck with this germination, maybe let your gf do all the germinating... A magic touch. It's always a b#~@# to lose a seed, especially if you paid top dollar for them. I've had my share of failed seeds, it's all part of the journey. Once you find your own optimal way of germinating you'll be laughing. Keep up the good work and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Well, my friends, all is not well on the hippie front. My seeds aren't working with me. Something is causing them to open and show a little tap root but they aren't passing that stage. I'm disapointed because they are just way to slow, I don't know if it's the strain or what but the germination process is way to long and is virtualy impossible for me to keep an eye on them from more than a week without getting dry once or twice. Yesterday I crushed one of the 3 to see what was going on inside and it was all white but a really bad smell came out of it, was rotten. I recieved 7 seeds, 3 wasted so far, 4 left. I am fully commited to make this happen and will appreciate any advice from you guys.

Sent from my SM-J700M using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Sorry to hear not sure of advice but I can only offer my experience. For myself I use tap water fill a bowl and drop seeds in for 24 hrs. When I check the next morning and if they still float I gently tap them and they sink. I then take a another bowl put a paper towel on the bottom then the water and seeds on top. Then lastly put another paper towel on top layer of the water. I've never lost a seed.
Hope things work out better wish you all the luck. If you find my last journal it shows worry of not the best looking seeds. But was no need for worry all ended well

Sent from my LG-H831 using 420

I soak my seeds for about 8-12 hours in a cup of water then pop them in coco presoaked with a small amount of nutes. I put clear wrap over so it won't dry out too fast. Their are many ways to germ seeds. You'll get it!
Thanks bro! I've thinking about a humidity dome or something to keep a better moisture enviroment and a CFL bellow to get it warm... Also got a bunch of starter cubes... but your method sounds good also, maybe just some coco will work better.

Sent from my SM-J700M using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Sorry to hear not sure of advice but I can only offer my experience. For myself I use tap water fill a bowl and drop seeds in for 24 hrs. When I check the next morning and if they still float I gently tap them and they sink. I then take a another bowl put a paper towel on the bottom then the water and seeds on top. Then lastly put another paper towel on top layer of the water. I've never lost a seed.
Hope things work out better wish you all the luck. If you find my last journal it shows worry of not the best looking seeds. But was no need for worry all ended well

Sent from my LG-H831 using 420
I appreciate your comment compadre!

My CKS PK were soaked on Day 1. They floated initially in the evening, but had sunk by morning.

24 hours later, transferred to paper Towel on Day 2 and they showed half inch long root tips on Day 4 when I planted the seeds.
Temperatures were maintained at 25*C in a dark room but I don't know what the humidity was. I didn't have do any special seed treatments, just followed the directions on the CKS pamphlet.

I'm sorry to hear yours are not working out; I went back and read your journal a couple of times to find differences, but what you are doing seems to be okay. Only thing I can think of is maybe there's a problem with your water or cup/plates being contaminated with some kind of bacteria.

Good to know! Yeap, that's basically the same I did, same process; same temp and dark conditions. Super slow progression for week and a half then got dry when I was at work but recovered a day later. After 3 weeks the tap root started turning brown, dead.

Thanks for sharing tho! Now I know these seeds take about 4 days and that's what I should look for.

Quick post

Tried a different method, starter cubes in a ziplock bag. WORKED! Managed to germinate a baby quite fast the other is still opening. Very happy.

Thanks guys!

420-magazine-mobile859134569.jpg

Let me introduce to you my compadres, Lady Vico.

420-magazine-mobile91867864.jpg

1 week in veg
18 hrs of light/6 darkness
Nutes: 3ml of CalMag/Galon only

I put a little bit of sand on top of the coco/perlite in order to avoid fungi. This baby is under 2650 lumens at 6500K just for now bext week will be starting some more nutes (GH Flora Nova Grow) and more light.

420-magazine-mobile2034693763.jpg

Completed Light Stand

8 bulbs and 2 more sockets left in case more light is needed later on. The lights were arranged but they can be adjusted at anytime wether vertically or horizontally.

6 x 40W CFLs 2650 Lumens/2700 K
2 x 42W CFLs 2650 Lumens/6500 K

420-magazine-mobile1396953200.jpg

420-magazine-mobile542538615.jpg

420-magazine-mobile643148824.jpg

Germination seemed to be the biggest problem so far. I'm gonna keep on trying until I get another seedling. I have dedicated lots of time and love to this and will keep it going.

Thanks for stopping by!

Back
Top Bottom