5 x Strains All Soil First Medi Grow Whoa!

Oh man you got to be kidding me, why does everyone suggest using H202 at the slightest hint of trouble. I have heard about people having problems with MG soil but you know what, let them grow and I'm sure they will be just fine. Most problems with plants tend to go away on their own! Every time I have seen someone use H202 on these forums it has made the situation worse! Using H202 on a sick, weak, or young plant will probably kill it. Just water them once a week with water and most of the time things work themselves out on their own. In the future if you're growing with soil this is what I do and have good results. Get yourself a bag of LIGHT WARRIOR. It is basically seed starter which is a very lite Peat based grow mix and is the perfect stuff for growing seeds, I think its a little too light and I mix in a little Happy Frog with it to thicken it up and make it hold a little more water but its not needed. For soil grows I would not use MG for anything ever. Fox Farm soil is a little harder to find, you have to get it at a grow store, but its perfect for growing pot. I prefer the FF HAPPY FROG because it has Dolomite Lime and Humic Acid and it is not as hot nitrogen wise as Fox Farm Ocean Forrest. So it is good for when you transplant or for younger plants. MG and pot just don't get along for whatever reason. Ocean Forrest is good soil as well and I have done grows where I used a 3 gallon smart pot of Ocean Forrest and added no fertilizers whatsoever and grew some of the dankest train wreck I have ever seen. It was even better than the wreck they had at the dispensary for sale. I whipped out a Acorn sized bud, with huge Calyxes and gifted it to one of the guys at the dispensary and they were even impressed. Whatever you do, please don't hit them with H202. That can only make things worse, and SensiZym and Hygrozyme do the exact same thing as hydrogen peroxide without hurting the plant. H202 has a place in a grow, don't get me wrong I use it if I need to clean out the hydro systems or pots AFTER a grow, but why anyone would use H202 on a living plant as anything but a last last resort is beyond me when there are tons of products out there that are better and less harsh on the plant. Better yet, just giving them water and they will probably heal themselves. I've had plants that got sick, and every single leaf was damaged because I used neem during lights on and burnt the plants. You know what, the plant shed all the damaged leaves slowly, and grew new ones. That plant went on to be some of the dankest Lemon Diesel I have ever grown and I nearly killed it. Give it time, leave it alone, and the plant WILL heal itself. Also, If you're careful you can dig the plant up and transplant it to a pot with better soil. I would try that before using H202 because that WILL fuck your plant up more.

Sigh.....

i cant see how h202 would kill a plant entirely, it in fact is used in hydro systems and a very diluted rate.

I believe that doc may be on to something but im a newbie, i was just thinking dig it up nice and easy then shake/quick rinse the root ball and transplant into hempy, the h202 will give it a freshening up in there and the quick replacement of superthrive/oc + should compensate for the losses

i cant see how h202 would kill a plant entirely, it in fact is used in hydro systems and a very diluted rate.

I believe that doc may be on to something but im a newbie, i was just thinking dig it up nice and easy then shake/quick rinse the root ball and transplant into hempy, the h202 will give it a freshening up in there and the quick replacement of superthrive/oc + should compensate for the losses

If I give out advice, and I come across with certainty....it's because I've done it myself and I know what I'm talking about.

I've done exactly what I'm recommending. I've taken plants with root problems, rinsed them exactly as I described, and put them in hempy buckets.

Do I use H202 in soil? NO!!!!
Do I use it in hydro? Yes!!!

When going from soil to hydro, it's important to kill the critters, especially if you might have root rot. H202 does that.

If I say something like, "Well, I don't know anything about coco," or "I've never encountered a problem like that, but you might try....." that's one thing.

But if I give straightforward, step by step advice, like I did a few posts up, you can bet that I know what I'm talking about. I don't BS....and I read hundreds of pages a week about growing things.

Oh....I also grow things when not reading.

If I give out advice, and I come across with certainty....it's because I've done it myself and I know what I'm talking about.

I've done exactly what I'm recommending. I've taken plants with root problems, rinsed them exactly as I described, and put them in hempy buckets.

Do I use H202 in soil? NO!!!!
Do I use it in hydro? Yes!!!

When going from soil to hydro, it's important to kill the critters, especially if you might have root rot. H202 does that.

If I say something like, "Well, I don't know anything about coco," or "I've never encountered a problem like that, but you might try....." that's one thing.

But if I give straightforward, step by step advice, like I did a few posts up, you can bet that I know what I'm talking about. I don't BS....and I read hundreds of pages a week about growing things.

Oh....I also grow things when not reading.

only your experience is what made me ask your opinion on the whole deal my friend

Doc I think the patient needs a second opinion ;) I really don't think that plant has root rot (from what I can see in the somewhat blurry pictures). All I saw was a seedling with a few yellow lower leaves. The top leaves looked fine. When reading a grow guide written by Jorge Cerventes, in the section about germinating seedlings he mentions that it is not unusual for newly sprouted seedlings to show signs of yellowing. Usually, you water with a light dose of nutrient solution and that's the end of it. Now, I will give some advice because this exact scenario happened to me on the 20th of January when I sprouted 3 seeds I ordered from Single Seed Center. After the plants had about 8 leaves the lower leaves became yellow. I watered all three with a light dose of Fox Farm Grow Big nutrient solution and that was the end of it. Within a few days the leaves were back to normal. H202 never entered the picture. As far as transplanting a seedling into a hydro bucket that's another story. I have done that many times as well when I buy clones that come in soil and I want to put them into bubble buckets. Personally, I don't do the H202 thing, a lot of people do, for a new grower I'm not sure its the best stuff to be messing around with because the wrong ratio will kill the plant. That's the only point I am trying to make. I don't know what skill level Blazin is at and I just hate to see a plant get fried needlessly.

I know doc mentioned root rot once but i think what he was getting across was that the roots are fried, one must assume that the roots are looking somewhat similar to the leaves at this point, the new growth is even yellowing now. I know my pics are blurry but it dont look 2 good and is getting worse by the day.

i think i will at least give it a shot on the sickly afghan kush, unless there are any suggestions otherwise for the rest of my transplanting.

I have like 4 relatively well established seedlings along with the afghan kush that will need to be transplanted into hempy today.

I also have like 5-7 clones that will need to be transplanted as well.

I see growin247 is caring toward my beginner level experience but i think doc gave me some good mixes, i cant see him steering me wrong by any means.

So the question lies should i use h202 for all my transplants? In case of any bugs or anything? I seen like a millipede or centipede lookin unit in one of my little pots yesterday.

I wouldn't, but you already know how I feel about using H202. I mean, I try to use as much mother nature as possible when I grow and hydrogen peroxide isn't something a cannabis plant would ever encounter in its natural environment. That being said, I'm sure a light root drench can't hurt especially if there is some sort of root rot, or slimy root type problems. I have had slimey roots, I have had brown roots, I have had roots with maggots eating them in my hydroponic bubble buckets. The only products I ever used was SensiZym and AZAMAX (for bugs). AZAMAX is made by general hydroponics, is vegetable based and can be used for hydroponics or soil, as a spray, or a root drench or as something you add to your hydroponic reservoir. If I encounter any kind of bugs I add 5ml to a gallon of water and it has worked against every bug I've had problems with with the exception of mites. Mites, take special measures and pray you never get them because if you do, well, let's just say its not fun.

alright i got the 2 afghan kush and all my seedlings except 3 of the freshest ones transplanted into either 1 or 3 gallon hempy buckets. I ordered some oc+ because no place had it locally, not home depot, not menards, not lowes, i was pissed, so i got some other similar stuff but with a low potash content. I figured ill just add some oct+ when it gets here and during later transplants.

I used like a cup of h202 into 3gal of water and rinsed up the roots of the sick afghan kush and will water it with some superthrive solution in a day or so when the excess soil drys out in there. The roots were unhealthy looking to say the least but the plant still seems to be somewhat strong.

Everything else will get watered with ph'd tap tonight and most likely every other day considering the amount of dirt that wanted to stay with most of my root balls. pictures later!

High Blazin, I sincerely hope that everything works out for you. What are you going to do with the 3 that are left in soil?

Personally, I agree with Growing to some degree. I would have personally left them in the soil and just flushed them with R/O water whenever I watered. But that's just me. They would have recovered.

High Blazin, I sincerely hope that everything works out for you. What are you going to do with the 3 that are left in soil?

Personally, I agree with Growing to some degree. I would have personally left them in the soil and just flushed them with R/O water whenever I watered. But that's just me. They would have recovered.

Well i had been wanting to go hempy anyway so that is what ultimately decided the switch. Soil is expensive in my opinion, i just bought twice or triple the amount of perlite compared to ff soil.

Also its quite a ways for me to get to any supplies anyways, this all just seemed more efficent.

I have plenty of faith that the smaller great white sharks and afghan kush's will be happy with their new homes, however the 2 larger afghan kush were really taking turns for the worse, ill take some pics, even tho mine are crappy.

But the lowest leaves on the sicker of the 2 are all white and falling off on their own and the newest growth is turning yellow and clawing pretty bad, at least the 1 bigger 1 will survive for sure, we shall see what the other 1 looks like in a few days

I have my fingers crossed for you my friend. I personally believe that the best thing you can do with soil is build your own. This way you know exactly what is in it.

It's very cheap and you can tweak it however you want. I build my own soil and my plants seem to love it. I buy this huge 110L bag of perlite for $20 at this garden store, I buy a big bag of compressed peat moss at Wally World or Home DePot for $7 or $8. I also bought a bunch of compost bags for $2/15 lbs last fall when garden season was coming to an end. Add in a little coco and the OC+ and it costs me about $2.50 - $3 per 5 Gal bucket of medium. Pretty cheap for a good medium. And all I have to add is water.

Sending you and the ladies good vibes Blazin - really hoping the transplant works out great for you my friend.

I'm thinking about doing a hempy grow in the near future, so I'm curious to see how that goes for you.

Anyway - :goodluck:

I have my fingers crossed for you my friend. I personally believe that the best thing you can do with soil is build your own. This way you know exactly what is in it.

It's very cheap and you can tweak it however you want. I build my own soil and my plants seem to love it. I buy this huge 110L bag of perlite for $20 at this garden store, I buy a big bag of compressed peat moss at Wally World or Home DePot for $7 or $8. I also bought a bunch of compost bags for $2/15 lbs last fall when garden season was coming to an end. Add in a little coco and the OC+ and it costs me about $2.50 - $3 per 5 Gal bucket of medium. Pretty cheap for a good medium. And all I have to add is water.

Thats kick a** man i thought about doin something along them lines but figured id try to keep it as simple as possible all things considered. What benefits over the pure perlite and oc+ do you think you gain?

Do you supplement at any point during your grows and what type of water r u using? I forgot all about RO while i was in town the other day so im just letting my tap water sit out for a while and ph'ing it accordingly, until i can pick up some RO then i will mix it 50/50 before ph'ing.

Sending you and the ladies good vibes Blazin - really hoping the transplant works out great for you my friend.

I'm thinking about doing a hempy grow in the near future, so I'm curious to see how that goes for you.

Anyway - :goodluck:

Thanks for the support man, i might need the good vibes hehe. I hope everything on this end goes well and will encourage your hempy plans!

Anyways, everything looked good before i closed it up, the babies that were droopy after the transplant were perking back up relatively well! I watered all but the 2 sick afghan kush. Ill get some pics up tommorow

What benefits over the pure perlite and oc+ do you think you gain? Do you supplement at any point during your grows and what type of water r u using?

See from my point of view, the medium that I use for my girls has to be alive. I personally believe that the taste of your finished product is much better if you grow in soil because of all the beneficial microorganisms in the soil. Compost is full of microorganisms that will just multiply like crazy in my pots. There are countless benefits to having these microorganisms in your soil and many books have been written about this subject.

For me, the most important aspect of having them in my soil is that they process and hold nutrients for the plants and make the nutrients more readily available (and in a form that the plants can use). These microorganisms also produce humic acids. The various soil organisms breakdown both organic and mineral materials in the soil partly by enzymatic action and partly by taking the materials in as nutrients and metabolizing them further. Most of the breakdown products are used by the plants as nutrients or are lost into the soil environment. A small portion of these breakdown products, however, perhaps 5% or so, becomes resistant to further decomposition and become more or less stabilized. Humus is that remaining, more or less homogenous mix of more or less stable material.

Humus is then converted into humic acids. Humic acids are very important for soil grows. If you like to know more, just google "humic acids".

I forgot to answer your other question. I do supplement with a couple things throughout the grow. I brew compost teas and I also supplement with molasses a few times. I give them water with TDS value of around 60, or as close to that as possible. My tap water is moderately hard so I have to mix it with R/O water to bring it down to TDS of 60.

See from my point of view, the medium that I use for my girls has to be alive. I personally believe that the taste of your finished product is much better if you grow in soil because of all the beneficial microorganisms in the soil. Compost is full of microorganisms that will just multiply like crazy in my pots. There are countless benefits to having these microorganisms in your soil and many books have been written about this subject.

For me, the most important aspect of having them in my soil is that they process and hold nutrients for the plants and make the nutrients more readily available (and in a form that the plants can use). These microorganisms also produce humic acids. The various soil organisms breakdown both organic and mineral materials in the soil partly by enzymatic action and partly by taking the materials in as nutrients and metabolizing them further. Most of the breakdown products are used by the plants as nutrients or are lost into the soil environment. A small portion of these breakdown products, however, perhaps 5% or so, becomes resistant to further decomposition and become more or less stabilized. Humus is that remaining, more or less homogenous mix of more or less stable material.

Humus is then converted into humic acids. Humic acids are very important for soil grows. If you like to know more, just google "humic acids".

Well said Hemp Rocket. I totally agree. I read an article in a grow magazine that talks about "TLO" or The Living Organism style of growing. In this style you basically just keep your microbes happy and the microbes is what really has a lot to do with transporting nutrients to the roots and all kinds of stuff. When people grow herb indoors the soil generally is not as active with microbes as it would be if it were outdoor soil. I know a lot of people on the boards like growing hempies but the problem I see with growing with this method is you have no soil to buffer out any of the harsh things in the nutrient solution or the OC+ so it just seems like the plants could get burnt or just not have as good a flavor as herb grown in soil. I have found that hydro bud can be very tasty but I think weed grown in soil tastes good also and you don't have to flush it for 3 weeks.

Well said Hemp Rocket. I totally agree. I read an article in a grow magazine that talks about "TLO" or The Living Organism style of growing. In this style you basically just keep your microbes happy and the microbes is what really has a lot to do with transporting nutrients to the roots and all kinds of stuff. When people grow herb indoors the soil generally is not as active with microbes as it would be if it were outdoor soil. I know a lot of people on the boards like growing hempies but the problem I see with growing with this method is you have no soil to buffer out any of the harsh things in the nutrient solution or the OC+ so it just seems like the plants could get burnt or just not have as good a flavor as herb grown in soil. I have found that hydro bud can be very tasty but I think weed grown in soil tastes good also and you don't have to flush it for 3 weeks.

tehe it seems my soil grow gone half way to passive hydro has created some sort of meeting of the minds lol i love it! thanks for the info guys

This is the jack herer, she got a bit of a buzz cut along with some more lst and i also took 1 or 2 of the biggest lateral branches and pinched them so the rest could catch up.
IMAG0083edited.jpg

Super Lemon Haze just tied down to the edge of the bucket
IMAG0085edited.jpg

Skunk also just tied down to the edge
IMAG0086edited.jpg

Blackberry really has some lanky branches, i think this is has 2 do with the the strain but i have limited room and light in my veg cab. As soon as the 600w hps shows up ill be switching some things up!
IMAG0088edited.jpg

The better looking of the 2 oldest afghan kush, day 2 after transplant.
IMAG0087edited.jpg

Some bud shots of my laughing buddha, i am noticing some of the larger fan leaves loosing their lush green, should this be expected? I am in budding now for 42 days of and have fed twice with agressive bloom formula of general hydro's flora line, and some liquid kool bloom.
IMAG0089edited.jpg

IMAG0090edited.jpg

The spotty yellowing in this 1 is not what i am talking about that is a bit of light bleaching from the cfls
IMAG0093edited.jpg

The oldest larger fan leaves are just loosing their lush deep green color and i have a few claws here and there.

Here is a pic of some crazy laughing buddha!
laughingbuddha_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom