Add Bioactive to 1410 ppm.
   Brought up with liquid lime to pH 6.11 @ 17.9 C

-> MTO5, MTO6:
1. Feed: Wet to saturation.
   Per gal:
	 1.5 T Pure Blend Pro Grow
	  .5 t Companion
   872 ppm, brought up with liquid lime to pH 6.19 @ 19.2 C

25 years ago today I asked a girl to go steady with me. She's my wife now. I better not dally in the garden tonight.

:peace:

Re: Aberration Goes ker Bloom! - 2009

High Aberration :ciao: I love the skill and time it took for this room to be created and I'm glad its working just fine!! Keep up the good work and I'll keep watching!

Thank you. You are all very kind.

--

I have what I feel is an extensive collection of cannabis-related books. Recently I ran across one of them and I realized I hadn't read it all yet. So I started into it. The book is Grow Like A Pro: The Marijuana Advantage edited by Dana Larson (pub.: Quick American). I gather it's an anthology of Cannabis Culture articles.

In it is a piece by DMT titled Control Your Cannabis. He talks about various ways to limit internodal length. The first topic is temperature. He advocates day temps of 24-25 C ( 75.2-77 F) and night temps at 22 C (71.6 F) for all of veg and most of bloom. However, he says one should keep the temps at 24-25 C ( 75.2-77 F) 24/7 for the first 2-3 weeks of bloom. Apparently, this will help control stretch. He warns that one should not keep even temps all the time like that for any longer than 2-3 weeks at the risk of developing leaf chlorosis.

Now I wonder if maybe at least some of my persistent yellowing could be due to the fact that I have held bloom temps at a steady 75-78 F 24/7 for nearly the entire time I've been growing them. Only when I had heat problems did I leave that range and that was to go up.

My thermostats do 4 time periods per day, so I think I will set up cooler night temps.

Do you think I should just go straight from day temps to night temps at the transition, or should I maybe set an intermediate temp for an hour to 'smoothe' the change?

Thank you all. I will try to live up to your perceptions.

If you do any programming the remainder of this post might be interesting. Otherwise, you might find it a bit dry. Fair warning.

I've been developing a grow automation system. I'm working in java because it's quick and easy. So far I have a schedule manager and all the objects it needs. It doesn't have a timer loop yet (another class) but it does provide scheduling queues, both clock style and interval. So I can provide an arbitrary set of times, or intervals, each with an associated state (like ON or OFF) to trigger changes to USB controlled relays (phidgets.com). It supports basic states like on, off, null (no change), as well as allowing more complex actions. It has 1 second accuracy, and can forecast incredibly long interval patterns. It's multi-thread safe.

Next is an actual timing loop (trivial) and a scheduling interface. I also intend to support USB-based sensors, branching control logic, data logging and and a variety of other details that should be great for any home automation, but especially for growing. I also want to create a sophisticated data entry system to make manual data collection easier. Eventually, I want to be able to monitor and adjust my grow remotely.

Not a new idea. And the vast majority of plans this ambitious tank and never see the light of day. But I have interest, persistence, and enough skill to do it. Might as well try. I would like to be able to check on my grow via a secure wireless web connection, from a coffee shop in Amsterdam, someday.

Dude that is straight up awesome. I plan on doing something like this myself as I am a very experienced programmer. Huge props on the construction and setup, definitely well thought out, and you are reaping the benefits of your hard work. A harvest or two and it will pay the whole room off with the money you will save from growing your own meds!

Incredible grow going...wanna adopt me?!

Thank you. Got two kids already though. ;)

Do you have some pict's of the yellowing?

Here:

SS854115-pogs.JPG

and worse:

SS854118-L-GV.JPG

The PG4 and KK are looking even more yellow than that, but I don't have a decent pic.

I really think I just can't catch up with demand.

I'm just curious, how do you check your plants to see if they need water or not?

That's a hard one for me. I took forever to get any idea how to do this. I still don't trust myself. Mostly though, I lift the edge of the bag, or the whole thing, and gauge the weight. When I can't decide, I stick my finger in to see if it is damp enough to clump 3-4 inches down. And then when I really don't trust myself, I pull out a moisture probe of questionable accuracy.

I'm trying to let them at least dry enough to aerate the medium. I do have a tendency to let them get too dry I think. I rarely see wilt though.

I tried weighing them, but I need a scale that is accurate at 0-40 lbs. Bathroom scales sure as hell aren't.

I am really bad at estimation, that's why I have so much documented as numbers. Also, it lets me get an idea of the basic parameters involved, which leads to...

Dude that is straight up awesome. I plan on doing something like this myself as I am a very experienced programmer. Huge props on the construction and setup, definitely well thought out, and you are reaping the benefits of your hard work. A harvest or two and it will pay the whole room off with the money you will save from growing your own meds!

Thanks. Mostly, I want to enjoy growing, but I don't want it to dictate the terms of my life. I want long vacations, quiet evenings on the couch with my wife, and assurance that all is well. Oh, and I want a fair amount of good bud as well.

So I need to get everything understood in terms of numbers so that I can automate. The idea is to fine tune an automated system for each segment of growing, so that I just keep an eye on it and do things that can't be automated, like transplanting. Eventually I will build a profile (ideally unique to each strain) that contains a schedule of conditions and actions that will replicate success fairly reliably, and then I'll just let the computer do that for me. It can text me if it needs assistance. :grinjoint:

What languages do you work with? I know Pascal, C++ and Java, but since I rarely use the first two, I'm damn rusty on their syntax. It's just too easy to throw something together in Java, and my projects never really need anything more powerful, so it's all I really use anymore (other than scripting language for a game - not really code).

I have a 2 year degree in Programming and spent a number of years supporting enterprise development environments, but I would in no way call myself a programmer. I'm probably more of a hack, but it works for me.

I need to get back to work. I'm in the middle of re-building the veg room AC system, and it's a bit warm in here. Need to get it back running. :rollit:

Code:
6/11/09
-------

-> KK, GV, PG4, L:
1. Pre-flush: 3/4 gal. 
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
   pH 6.25 @ 20.3 C

2. Feed: 1 gal.
   Per gal:
	 2  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 3  t  Notrazyme
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Biggest Bloom
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
	 1  T  Feather Tea
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  T  Bioactive
	3/4 t  Carbon sweet
	3/4 t  Cal-Mag
	1/2 t  Companion
   Add Bioactive to 1375 ppm.
   Brought up with liquid lime to pH 6.10 @ 18.6 C

Thanks. Mostly, I want to enjoy growing, but I don't want it to dictate the terms of my life. I want long vacations, quiet evenings on the couch with my wife, and assurance that all is well. Oh, and I want a fair amount of good bud as well.

So I need to get everything understood in terms of numbers so that I can automate. The idea is to fine tune an automated system for each segment of growing, so that I just keep an eye on it and do things that can't be automated, like transplanting. Eventually I will build a profile (ideally unique to each strain) that contains a schedule of conditions and actions that will replicate success fairly reliably, and then I'll just let the computer do that for me. It can text me if it needs assistance. :grinjoint:

What languages do you work with? I know Pascal, C++ and Java, but since I rarely use the first two, I'm damn rusty on their syntax. It's just too easy to throw something together in Java, and my projects never really need anything more powerful, so it's all I really use anymore (other than scripting language for a game - not really code).

I have a 2 year degree in Programming and spent a number of years supporting enterprise development environments, but I would in no way call myself a programmer. I'm probably more of a hack, but it works for me.

I need to get back to work. I'm in the middle of re-building the veg room AC system, and it's a bit warm in here. Need to get it back running. :rollit:

I just have a 2 year degree myself, but had taught myself several web languages long before i even decided to go to school. Since then, i learned C++, Java, C#, ASP.NET, VB.NET, Javascript, Flash (AS3), PHP, SQL and all the other stuff in between lol.

I work as a programmer, so it's exposed me to a lot of experience i wouldn't normally get coding things on my own, so I'm pretty pumped to start on the home automation project i have in mind. I never really thought about automating a grow setup, but it is definitely a genius idea. You're getting into some high level ideas, so props for that. I'm sure it will work out well for you. Keep us posted with the progress, I'm very interested to hear about the final result!

Aberration just a question are you alternating feed and water? In my soil grow I always had plain water between feeding.
Java you don't say I was part of the development team working with Sun & IBM during the 90's. I was a member of the World Wide Consortium til 2000 and was listed in the Who's Who.;)

Pan4

I do not alternate. I preflush. I know it's not the same, but I decided (after my previous debacle) to take my mentor's advice for this run, since he can see them in person and grows quite well himself on a larger scale. I figure once I learn his method, I have a fall-back and a baseline to compare with other methods. My primary concern is that these meet my medical needs. Everything else is frosting.

So he never alternates, and his plants grow huge and potent, and have great taste and aroma. I don't understand it either. He says my current problems are likely due to an irregularity in one of the components of his soil mix, which I am using as well. Apparently the Alaskan Magic was off-the-charts strong or something. Again, not clear on exactly what that means.

I realize I've been burning the Lavender, and I also need to start flushing. Clearex and then water from here on out for her.

Meanwhile...

Code:
-> POG1, POG2, KK:
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
   pH 6.18 @ 20.3 C

-> POG1, POG2:
2. Feed: 1 gal.
   Per gal:
	 2  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 3  t  Notrazyme
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Biggest Bloom
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
	 1  T  Feather Tea
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  T  Bioactive
	3/4 t  Carbon sweet
	3/4 t  Cal-Mag
	1/2 t  Companion
   Add Bioactive to 1312 ppm.
   Brought up with liquid lime to pH 6.18 @ 19.7 C
Code:
-> All veg _except_ MTO5 and MTO6:
   Per gal:
	  .5 t Companion
   Diluted to 820 ppm, brought up with liquid lime to pH 6.18 @ 19.2 C

It took a full gallon to dilute the PBP down to there, and I've concluded that I won't get consistent results with just a teaspoon measure. More accurate to dilute it down to what you want, I think.

From last night:
Code:
6/15/09
-------
-> L:
1. 2 T Clearex in 1 gallon water.

-> POG1, POG2, PG4, KK, GV:
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal

2. Feed:
   Per gal:
	 2  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 3  t  Notrazyme
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Biggest Bloom
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
	 1  T  Feather Tea
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  T  Bioactive
	3/4 t  Carbon sweet
	3/4 t  Cal-Mag
	 1  t  Companion
   Brought up with liquid lime to pH 6.20 @ 20.0 C

-> All veg:
   Per gal:
	  .5 t Companion

Today (6/16) is day 42 for all six ladies. The Lavender (L) is now in flush. The Gravity (GV) got fed last night, but that's the last. Next time it's Clearex and then water until harvest. L should be ready in 45-50 days, GV in 50-55 days, so I'm actually behind on the L. I'm not terribly worried, because a slightly late harvest of L should yield some nice bedtime weed.

The GV is going to be flushed just in time. As it is nearing finish, I can't give it enough nutes to keep up and leaves are suffering. It is yellowing out the weaker and shaded leaves, and once they are easy to tug off they go in the trash. I figure once the plant starts to detach a leaf, it's doing no good and needs to go. Same if it looks sick or severely damaged. I like it clean and bug free. On the other hand, I like to keep anything that looks like it is contributing to the plant. Where it used to look like a wookie, now it looks like a wookie that losing it's hair. I'll try to grab a pic for comparison after the lights come on.

Everything else continues on. The Orange Crushes (OC) that I cloned from are going ape, and are larger than they were before I butchered them 9 days ago. I'm going to have to take some more now, and probably again before I'm done. Again, pics would be nice. I'll try to get some of the veg later as well.

Pics!

Here is the Lavender (L), and then the Gravity (GV). I know the pics are blurry, but you get the general idea of how they are looking. I only had a short window before the lights came on, and now that I see how blurry they are, it's too late to fix it. :( Anyway, here they are:

(L)
SS854255-L.JPG

(GV)
SS854256-gv.JPG

See? The wookie is losing it's hair.

Here is a bud on the L:

SS854260-L.JPG

And some more random bud shots I took:

(GV)
SS854266.JPG

(POG1)
SS854269.JPG

(KK)
SS854272.JPG

I need a tripod and some decent lighting.

Also. M came over, looked at the two POGs, and told me that POG1 is in fact not Pot of Gold, but rather a diesel of some type. POG2 is not POG either, but I was hella high at the time, and I dunno what he said it was. He said there was a big mis-labeling incident, and he recognizes them as he grows them both all the time. 🤷 Great - more mystery. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom