Aberration's Mixed-Strain First Grow - 2009

Re: Aberration's Mixed-Strain *First Grow* - 2009

The Snow Bud up and lost an entire generation of leaves yesterday. They were just all dead and starting to actually fall off. They weren't looking bad the night before. It was one generation across the whole plant. Older leaves are fine and younger ones as well. Weird.

So last night my mentor came over and assessed the situation. We discussed what I have been doing and what I should do going forward. We worked out a new nutrient regimen. We also applied the first round:

Pre-flush: pH adjusted water, 1/4 gal per pot.
Feed: 1/2 gallon each. 3 gal total contained: 5 t Soil Nute, 5 t PGE, 2 T Notrazyme, 3+ fl. oz. yucca

I will pick up some worm castings asap and in the future I will add 1/2 handful to the above nutrient recipe (unless they are already quite green) as well. I will also target a pH of 6.2 going forward, to accommodate the soil-less medium I am using.

I should never have doubted him. They looked better 8 hours later than they have in a month. Even the MT is trying to perk up I think.

I have also planted a bunch of jiffy peat starter plugs with plants that are reported to repel spider mites. Some are already poking up, but this thread is about pot growing so I won't bore you with pictures. You'll see them later when I surround the cannabis plants with them. Here's hoping the companion planting concept works for me as well as it is reported to work for others.

Heights:

Code:
Strain	Height
--------------
PS	28.5"
MT	20.5"
SB	20"
KK	33"
L	18"
AG	18.5"

height6.jpg

If I have any time later, I plan to either assemble the new flood table frame and install it, or do a little LST to spread out my girls.

:peace:

Well, it is with a heavy heart that I draw this journal to a close. We have deliberated long and hard, but I am a medical user, and I have to look at this from a practical perspective.

I have put these plants through hell learning from them. And I have learned a lot. But the abuse is piling up, and they are not recovering anymore. The problems are numerous.

The original pre-transplant soil refuses to dry out, and the outer soil I added at transplant is bone dry. The plants are wilting, especially the Matanuskan. The stems started to change from solid purple back to a more (relatively) healthy green-and-purple-striped pattern, but they are going all-purple again. We think they have root rot. They appear locked and dying.

I'm such a bastard.

My mentor has offered to swap me out for some semi-mature veg plants. This will have me in bloom in short order. I will simply follow his advice to the letter and see where it goes. He manages a much larger number of plants to an all-organic orgasm of fantastic bud. I think maybe I should just learn his methods first, since I'm clearly not a natural at this. I would be a fool to pass up his offer.

But I do it with a heavy heart. A person's first grow has a strong component of sentimentality to it, and it's sad to think that mine will come to such an ignominious end. The only saving grace is that they are effectively going to live with the 'bud doc', and they will get far better care there than I would provide.

So I took some last pictures. That's the Matty that droops so bad, and the Kaia Kush is the tall yellow one still. The others look better, but it's exaggerated by the fact that a lot of foliage is dying and the worst has already come off. They may recover, but it will take time. My mentor will make the effort only because a plant that survives all this will make for a strong mother.

damn3.JPG

sad1.JPG

deprived.JPG

To those of you who offered encouragement and advice, I thank you. I did learn from you. To those who offered compliments, I hardly believe I deserve them, but thank you anyway. I tried to eliminate as many points of failure as I could, but it is clear that planning and construction alone do not make cannabis grow healthy.

To everyone who simply stopped by and read all the way to here, wow. I hope there was some redeeming value for you in this thread. May my failure be a cautionary tale, that your grow may have a fairy-tail ending.

It has been a joy. I am not going to go away. I will start another journal, but I might wait until it appears I can at least keep veg plants happy, and maybe even wait until they start to bloom. I don't know.

In the meantime I suspect I will monitor this thread for some time, and I am happy to discuss what happened if anyone wants to do that. Feel free. If I get a chance to provide any update info or pictures, I'll post it here, naturally.

Anyway...

:thanks:

and, as always...

you're being a bit hard on yourself... I just went though your whole journal man, and you have a pretty good handle on things- I would have liked to see those plants flower- they were certainly old enough and you have the space and equipment....

as far as future grows, a few cents? soil might be nice- you can treat it very similar to the mix you were using, but has a little buffer. Try to nail down a full feeding schedule- and stick to it. consistency is neat. I would also water by weight and eye rather than measurements. what is a gallon worth, anyway?

but seriously man, nice construction, nice quest, and pretty plants. you don't see branches like those every day.

cheers

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I'm going to follow a mentor's 'recipe' going forward until I can read the girls correctly. Then I'll try to vary it. But I agree that consistency is good... unless you consistently screw it up like I did. I think this first grow taught me a lot, and my second should be better. I actually have the second set of plants already and they should go into bloom in two weeks or less. I am confident this one will go better.

Aberration your doing good for a first grow.:cool:

Don't give up you can work through this.:cheer:
I have messed up lots get a schedule for watering and feeding. I did my soil plants every 3 days in the stage your in now. Water then nutes. Your plants do look a little under watered IMO.;)

Pan4

hey man dont you dare doubt ourself man , if you knew how my first grow went . pfff you would be making fun of me , you have a stylish setup and way more access to material , just comparing to myself , the only thing i could think of was that you needed stronger lights and im not even sure about that. and those nice mesurement setup´s you have there , lets just say i´m not that calculative with my grow i´m more of feeling it out if you know what i mean , , you have potential to make superb weed just stick with it!! :D:D

my first grow , , man i cut them down witout flushing , dryed them to death , cured in a plastic bag in the fridge for crying out loud ! this stuff went from 400gr to a mere 60 ! it got me a little high but it was just dry dirt weed wich smelled like dry grass.

soo if i knew how to give you props i would +++

its a bummer you didnt get to flower that afghooey
thats my favorite strain

I'll have the opportunity later. I like the Afgooey as well.

Nice grow your literally a smart grower! good job!

Thanks. I'm starting to get 'calibrated' now. I haven't killed the ones I have, they are growing nicely, and I have been successful in tying them out. Soon these will go into bloom, and I've decided to start logging again when they do.

Been scrambling the last couple days though. It's been hot and I have learned I will need more AC.

Back
Top Bottom