Musiks' first grow/ bagseed 2009

It has been about 6 weeks since I have switched my lights to 12/12. So far I am happy with results of my project. I hope to eventually have a perpetual harvest. For right now I deem that probability just that, a probability. In order to make that probability a reality, I am going to have to undergo many evolutions in my set up. I do believe that hydroponics in its essence is a must in setting up a perpetual harvest.
At the moment I am focused on the two female plants I currently have. I also have much reason to believe that my frostiest of plants has endured conditions to which it chose to hermie, or become a hermaphrodite. While the more vigorous of the two plants, taller and a bit more adapt to the heat of the light has only most recently began to form trichomes on its leaves. These two features or phenotypes do not in itself indicate a difference in strains, but it does however indicate to me that care for either plant is not exactly the same. As I have watched without noting, One plant likes a higher PH and less food, while the other likes a lower PH and more food. One plant drinks twice as much as the other while it IS bigger and more robust, seems to not carry the same effort in producing buds. While the one that does seem to be focused on making bigger buds has also grown male flowers that I have intentionally picked off. Neither plant has had clones made from it so for these two, after harvest is going to be the end of the line.

For now I have figured out my camera and am going to post some photos of mary and jane.

First I will show you a few of my new babies. (Don't worry about the one knocked over, i put him on his side on purpose) I actually don't plan to grow that one, it stretched quite a bit, don't know why, that one plant was touching the top one day after I put the seed in the cube which had not even germinated. This time I put the seeds in a cup over night. Next day the seeds were at the bottom of the cup so i put them in the rockwool cubes. These plants love life...they really do.
Babies23.JPG
Babies9.JPG

Now I have a photo each of my temperature and humidity gathering instruments.
Bottom_of_grow_room.JPG
about_cola_level.JPG

You may notice the range of relative humidity being 43% to 58%. for a good 3 weeks we had really humid weather here and the relative humidity was stuck between 60%-70% during that period there was little growth. We have for a week had milder weather and the relative humidity has been around 48%-55%, which has made a notable difference in bud size. Sometimes you just can't help the weather. Also since the humidity has lessened, I have noticed a more fruity smell coming from my closet. I dont know if a mixture of the plants or if from one or the other. But it smells like Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles brand cereals. Very sweet smell.

Next I will showcase photos of the plant I will refer to as Mary. This is the more robust plant. This plant I thought that I ruined because I foolishly removed a ton of lower fan leaves, thinking that they were not subject to enough light to feed the rest of the plant....I later found out this to be very wrong to do. I definately noticed a slow in growth afterwards. Only to be towered upon by this monstrocity of a plant. There are alot of colas. Of course the tallest ones are evident. I actually don't expect very large buds from this plant. It could amaze me yet.
Mary_4.JPG
Mary31.JPG
Mary4.JPG
Mary21.JPG

This plant is the one that keeps producing male flowers and I dont really care if it is. I will keep picking them off.
I believe this one to be the fruity smelling one and the one that is going to produce very potent marijuana.
Jane4.JPG
Jane3.JPG
Jane21.JPG
Jane31.JPG

So I'm 6 weeks into flower. I have a few plants ready for vegetation soon. I am not sure whether I am going to Veg 2 or 4 weeks yet. Or maybe until harvest and then I will throw into flowering, I do believe that I have 2-4 weeks left before harvest. I do believe my next step is to recognize when the plants are ending their flowering stage and ready for Harvest. For a few reasons, first and foremost so I understand when to stop feeding nutes before harvest.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for stopping by my journal.

Musik \\\vVv/// :Rasta::bongrip::yummy::rollit::grinjoint::peace::ganjamon:

Plants are looking very nice. Looks like you going to have some fat little buds. Great job. I think since you are at six weeks its time to start considering flushing and getting ready for harvest in a couple of weeks. I am new and I know different strain take more time. But I believe most strains are around 8 weeks and I would if I where you would assume yours are 8 weeks and start the flush soon. Take a look at the Trichomes at week 7 through a 30X or better microscope and see how they are coming along. I have been harvesting and 50 white, 50 Amber but it all personal preference. Remember I am new and this is all information I have picked up in my limited experience so any correction by others with more experience would be greatly appreciated for me as well as Musiks.

You know as a matter of fact I have a 60X-100X illuminated handheld microscope and that thing is hard to use on the plants without ripping a leaf off and putting it on a flat surface. I haven't the funds for a 30X jeweller's loop but i think that im going to try that next. And honestly I am puzzled by the trichomes, as all seem to be milky. I haven't yet, with the 60X zoom setting on the handheld microscope seen what I believe to be a clear trichome. I may be seeing clear trichomes and have yet to see truly milky ones?
I wish I could fit the microscope to the camera and take a pic through it so all could see. I have seen a few pics of trichomes and that is where I get the conclusion that the ones I am looking at are milky looking.
Are there any indicators by the plant to tell me when its a good time to start flushing? Is there any negative effects by flushing too early?

Musik \\\vVv///

You know as a matter of fact I have a 60X-100X illuminated handheld microscope and that thing is hard to use on the plants without ripping a leaf off and putting it on a flat surface. I haven't the funds for a 30X jeweller's loop but i think that im going to try that next. And honestly I am puzzled by the trichomes, as all seem to be milky. I haven't yet, with the 60X zoom setting on the handheld microscope seen what I believe to be a clear trichome. I may be seeing clear trichomes and have yet to see truly milky ones?
I wish I could fit the microscope to the camera and take a pic through it so all could see. I have seen a few pics of trichomes and that is where I get the conclusion that the ones I am looking at are milky looking.
Are there any indicators by the plant to tell me when its a good time to start flushing? Is there any negative effects by flushing too early?

Musik \\\vVv///

I also have a 60X - 100X and I have a really hard time with it when looking at the growing plants so I went on ebay and got a 30X jewelers loop for 4 bucks with free shipping and that one works very well when you need to check trichomes on your maturing buds. Good luck..

In two days will be exactly 7 weeks in flowering. I really hope that pistils start to change color soon. I do have 2 questions.

1. Is it possible for the plants to be ready for harvest with 100% white pistils?

2. My other question refers to my watering method that I have tried out, called the 'Lucas Method', which is really going to need someone who has done this to help me out. My question is this, since I have been using the 'Lucas Method' and now it is time to consider flushing. Do I need to change the reservoir?
I have for the last week been trying to get the ppm down. I can't get the ppm below 800. Now to fully understand my situation I have been keeping the ppm at about 1100 according to my ppm pen. I also have a ppm of 260-280 from my tap water. I have added about 6 gallons of straight water over the last week. I think that I will have to prepare a set of 5 gallon buckets with straight PH'd tap water. Anyone know what the deal is, or at this point should I consider changing the water with fresh stuff?

I will get a few pics up when I can. Im waiting for a camera to become available. All of my pistils are long, fat, full of trichomes and white. Also this is bagseed from some commercial weed I'm assuming from Mexico because we get it in 2.2lb bricks (Kilo's for those more apt to understanding).

I did germinate 2 SuperSilverHaze seeds from a bag I bought before starting this endeavor but they turned out to be males.
\
I am almost finished with a cloning/veg chamber that I'll show off when i get a camera. Its unfortunately in an entirely different part of the house but Im ok with that. My roommate wanted to help me out and I was in dire need. and this will be easier than doing any more construction on my closet while I have some pretty plants in there.

Anyhow thanks for stopping by and reading my rambling bantor!!!!

Musik \\\vVv/// :cheer::grinjoint:;):cool::Rasta::smokin::yummy: :bong:

I got some pics for y'all. I was taking some photos however and the plant I call Jane fell over, then as I was standing her back up, the net pot fell through the top hole, it was disaster for about ten minutes, I had to work the roots in the net pot, fill in some hydroton that must have gotten loose, I think there was a hole in the net pot or a hole was created by hydroton leaving the net pot.
I was sweating sooooo bad, keeping her propped up, I had noticed that she was leaning and I thought that was just growth, turns out the whole net pot was leaning LOL Thank goodness i found this out trying to take some pictures instead of coming home to a tipped over mess.

That and this stupid camera. I swore that I rotated these pics. Oh well, if anyone knows any easy fixs let me know, otherwise these will have to do until next time.

Full_Spectrum1.JPG
Marie.JPG
Marie_1.JPG

Now the above pictures should scare you. They scare me. This plant loves the light soooo much it is willing to come within inches of it. Now besides the lighter green color which has been turning a lighter green as of recently, I assume because its getting ready for harvest soon. More and more fan leaves have been droppin like flies. I'm sure some will think the lighter color green is from the light but believe me, the lighter green has only showed recently. Anyways that is of the plant I call Marie. It definately doesn't have as thick of buds but it has way more colas with buds on them.
This next set of photos is from Jane. This plant has 3 huge colas on it. Crystals everywhere. Smells like Christmas, Looks like Christmas, where's Rudolph with his nose so bright!!!:Rasta:
Anyhow you can see in relation to the hand shown how big the colas on this plant are. I was wondering... I'm in my 7th week(47th day to be exact) how much dry bud do you think I'll get?

Jane5.JPG

Jane_1.JPG

Jane_2.JPG

Jane_3.JPG

Jane_4.JPG

Jane_5.JPG

Jane_6.JPG

Jane_7.JPG

So I'm curious to how much dry weight you think I might get knowing that its 47th day in flower(7 weeks) I am trying to flush.(Although having a slight difficulty finding out more on this Lucas Method and pre-harvest flush.) I don't know the strain. But how much fatter can they get?

I figured why not post some videos. Since I had to re-organize that plant I call Jane, i figured i'd throw her on a chair and try to get the most out of the opportunity and get some close ups via video. You will get a more round about point of view as to how large this bushy little bitch really is.

YouTube - Project FlowerPower

YouTube - Project FlowerPower1

You all enjoy the two videos. I definately have enjoyed growing these two plants. I can't believe that soon I'll be harvesting as this has felt like it took forever.

This plant on the lower branches still shoots out male flowers but only on the lower portion of the plants. I am thinking due to a light leak.

Musik \\\vVv///

Those are some great looking ladies. You have done such a great job and can not wait to see how it all ends. Great job again...

looking shweet bro!
my northern lights grow ended up becoming an outdoor grow, but I have something coming up ,should be a real treat

Your plants look stacked. i see about a 4.5 ounces
Looks like you still got a ways to go though,
i say another 4-5 weeks (including flush)

your on the home stretch now good luck

Thanks guys for stopping by. I hope that I can harvest sooner than 4-5 weeks LOL only the trichomes will tell!

I have not started to flush as of yet, I was planning on doing that this evening. I have decided to do a complete flush sort of. I am going to fill up 2 more 5 gallong buckets with ph balanced de-chlorinated water, then just replace the reservoirs under the lids.
I do believe that because I have not changed the water out completely yet I have too much salt build up.
In the future I think I'll change the reservoirs more like once a month at least. So far I hope that my methods have been good and can only get better. LOL

There was one factor that cued me in on this, and that was my air stones are becoming clogged. Of course I have unclogged all but one, and broken one in the process. So to help my airstones last longer changed out the res in the future is kind of a must.

So if there was any one thing that i have done wrong, it has been not changing out the reservoir completely. I have just monitored the ph and ppm topping off the levels. I still have 2 great looking plants but it can only get better from here!

Thanks for stopping by yet again. Next grow I think it will be time to go scientist and keep track and record all of my findings. PH, PPM, Nutes, Light times and all that.

Musik \\\vVv///

Great journal, just caught up with it ;) You can harvest any time, yet the sooner you harvest the less potent the buds will be. The bud is still very imature if all the hairs are white. I would say that they're sativa dominant, they look nice and frosty! :cool:
- DT09

yeah actually i quick dried a bud and found 5 seeds in it, it was a bud that was next to the other plant, so it makes sense, I actually hope to find a few seeds since nature has taken its course, I am under the impression that they should be feminized, not sure if that will be the case but you know, if a plant goes hermie and is mostly budz, i'm gonna continue plucking them off so they dont ruin the rest of the plants, and smoke the budz, i've read alot of people tossing out hermied plants, If i had a hundred plants and found ten hermied plants, I would throw them or move them out the area so the whole batch doesn't get pollinated.
So yeah i'll take the congratulations and we'll see what happens !!!!
As always a pleasure to have you stop by :popcorn:

Musik \\\vVv///

I think I may be dooming myself by updateing with a ton of pics and videos. Nobody every seems to comment on any of my rhetoric and that makes me sad because none of it gets approved or corrected, so as the case with my poor sweet smelling great looking plant that went hermie. I guess i could take that as my research has pointed me in the right direction...?! who knows. No matter what I will continue, i will persevere. And its been a week since my last update so heres some pics.

Here are a few pics of my air stone recovery plan. I am not quite sure how to clean them. All of the air stones were completely fucked. Barely any bubbles coming out of them.
airstone_recovery.JPG

Here is the first air stone.
airstone_1.JPG

Here is the second air stone.
airstone_2.JPG

airstone2_1.JPG

Here is the third air stone. this one cleaned up nicely.
airstone_3.JPG

airstone_3_1.JPG

I am probably going to pick up two more air stones and scrap the first two, If I can't figure out a way to clean them. I am currently trying to do a little research on how to dissolve the salt without heating the water. Any suggestions?
crappy_microscope.JPG

This microscope is not very good at looking at trichomes while the plant is still flowering, unless you clip off a leaf and put it on a flat surface. I will be purchasing a 30x Jeweler's Loupe soon.
more_pH_down.JPG

I had to pick up more pH down for my tap water. I cannot wait to have 300 U.S. dollars for a Revers Osmosis System.

So here is a video. Enjoy!!!!

YouTube - Project FlowerPower Fini

I think its time that I chop down the one on the right, I think the one on the left can use another week or so. Maybe I should let the one on the right go another week but I've grown slightly impatient and by the time these are done drying and going into curing, i'll be done cleaning this closet out of dust and what not, a few slight changes and round 2 begins.

Also I will have to look into or see what I can do to have someone look into the spell checker. it has underlined the word 'trichome' which is properly spelled, so why does it underline it, get that word in the 420 dictionary for crying out loud, I mean...Cannabis is not the only plant on this planet that has trichomes, which if anyone looks up in the dictionary is Greek for "growth of hair".
:rollit:

Musik \\\vVv/// :bongrip: :cheer: :popcorn: :grinjoint: :thanks: :welcome:

Plants are looking great and love the vid. The 30x loop, I got mine on Ebay for like 4 bucks, free shipping. Its a small one from some hobby store but it does the trick. About the air stone believe it or not I found some at the dollar store. A 2 pack for 1 buck. Cant beat that for sure. Any way great job and + rep for all your hard work on the grow and the vids..

Thanks Sonzor, your grow was/is very impressive. I am glad to have been able to witness that one.

Since you are pretty much finished drying and curing, I wanna explain my methods that I am going to try. Lemme know if any of this sounds outlandish or if there is a better way.
Based on the research I have done.
I dont know if anyone can tell but I did remove fan leaves before the weekend. I did notice that the existing ones grew a ton. Next grow the fan leaves stay on until I actually chop.
For drying I was going to hang in a cardboard box(ill take pictures tomorrow) for about 1 week.
then put into a paper bag for about 1 week turning once a day or once every two, only filling the bottom portion of the bag about 10% of it, I will probably have a couple paper bags from the local grocer,
then put in mason jars.
I understand that the mold is the most important factor. So of course I will watching that very closely. I am confused as to the "burping" or release of gases from the jars.
Do I leave the budz alone for a week before burping the jars or do I burp the jars from the start?

Musik \\\vVv///

Thanks Sonzor, your grow was/is very impressive. I am glad to have been able to witness that one.

Since you are pretty much finished drying and curing, I wanna explain my methods that I am going to try. Lemme know if any of this sounds outlandish or if there is a better way.
Based on the research I have done.
I dont know if anyone can tell but I did remove fan leaves before the weekend. I did notice that the existing ones grew a ton. Next grow the fan leaves stay on until I actually chop.
For drying I was going to hang in a cardboard box(ill take pictures tomorrow) for about 1 week.
then put into a paper bag for about 1 week turning once a day or once every two, only filling the bottom portion of the bag about 10% of it, I will probably have a couple paper bags from the local grocer,
then put in mason jars.
I understand that the mold is the most important factor. So of course I will watching that very closely. I am confused as to the "burping" or release of gases from the jars.
Do I leave the budz alone for a week before burping the jars or do I burp the jars from the start?

Musik \\\vVv///

From what I have read and understand you need to be pretty diligent in burping your jars in the first week or so. I open them for a few minutes at least 3 times a day for the first week and a little less as time goes on. If I am using bigger jars I take the buds out and put them on a screen for an hour or so at least once a day for the first week, so they all cure equally. I know 420 opens the jars for four hours at a time. And he really knows what he is doing.

After you dry I am not sure why you would put the bud in a paper bag. I have read that people dry there buds that way but doing both seems a little over kill and you don't want to over dry the buds. But take what I say with a grain of salt please. I am still learning new things every day and may be correct by others who know way more than I on this site..

From what I understand you want to handle your buds the least amount possible. I would think after your dry and putting them in bags turning them once a day would knock off a lot of those valuable trichs. Just a thought and I am sure a lot of people with a lot more experience than I will chime in and give you some better advise. Anyway good luck and great job.

Man! that vid had me bouncing of the walls... now I have to explain to the wife why I have to repair all of these holes...LOL, them trees are outstanding and good for you since you don't mind having some seeds on part or parts of the plants, I am doing that on purpose next weekend and am thinking of making my next post a vid showing the magical moment of conception.

Sonzor thanks for the input. I think im just going to get a cardboard box(large one, maybe two) and hang them inside for a week or two, the main thing is that once dry(stem snaps easily) putting them in mason jars so they can obtain a sweet smell and taste and cure. I did a double take and I agree, I dont want to mess with them too much.

Man! that vid had me bouncing of the walls... now I have to explain to the wife why I have to repair all of these holes...LOL, them trees are outstanding and good for you since you don't mind having some seeds on part or parts of the plants, I am doing that on purpose next weekend and am thinking of making my next post a vid showing the magical moment of conception.

I watched the video again and I know what you mean, I did have an unsteady hand in that one. I'll show you, I went to the bar with a few friends, I remember doing it(kinda like in slow motion) but do not remember why? Imagine busy downtown area, lots of light poles, now on these light poles people usually hang flyers and what not. Usually the staples do not come out with the flyers, and I punched the light pole, I dont think I realized all the staples. DUMB VERY DUMB. I do not suggest handling MJ while intoxicated either.

My_hand.JPG

LOL, well i have some pics i'd love to share. I am in the process of re-organizing my vegg area. I am going to be putting these in 10 gallon totes until they are ready for 5 gallon buckets, which at that point I will put them in my flower area. I can't wait to lower that light back towards the floor. Thank goodness those plants stopped growing.

babies61.JPG

babies51.JPG

babies41.JPG

babies24.JPG

babies32.JPG

babies10.JPG

babies13.JPG

I can't wait to try out cloning. Things are starting to move a little faster now. I have never cloned so you could sort of say that I am afraid....I am afraid. I think I will be able to clone in about 2 weeks. Any suggestions or things to look out for would help me alot.

Thanks for stopping by. And be careful when drinking. I guess you never know what will happen when your full of alchohol. LOL (I never know what I will do when Im drinking LOL)

Musik \\\vVv///

Back
Top Bottom