AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal - Ebb&Flow - Bubblelicious 2013

Re: AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal-Ebb&Flow/Bubblelicious 2013

Mini Update

So I am off for the weekend and I finally got my drip system automated and ready to go for when I am gone. I realized that the 'S' shaped PVC was too big for the current pots and also sprayed too much water per minute. So I went with a straight PVC with just one hole drilled into it, and 3/4" caps on the end.

Breakdown of the system:

I have my pump line feed into a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of distilled water with CalMag and Grow Big. Total PPM: 350 pH: 5.6

20130920_084829.jpg

That pump line connects to the 3/4" PVC pipe with a nylon barb adapter.

20130920_060407.jpg

It then connects to to a T-joint where I built a custom drain tray for the pots to rest in.

20130920_055524.jpg

20130920_060432.jpg

Hopefully everything runs smoothly when I am gone, and I will see you guys in a couple of days. Have a great weekend all ;)

Good herbs!!

22/09/13

Came back today and I found my plants bigger than how I left them but after a closer inspection I saw browning tips on mid growth and light chlorosis in the inner leaf veins on both plants.

20130922_134149.jpg

20130922_121814.jpg

20130922_121829.jpg

20130922_121936.jpg

I suspected the problem was pH related causing a lockout and increased toxicity of nutrients. I checked my res pH and it was a soaring 7.5 and PPM of 290! I flushed with water at a pH of 5.9 and 1.25ml/gal of SledgeHammer.

Plant runoff after flush steadied at 5.9 and watered with a now stabilized res (pH: 5.5-5.7 PPM: 407). I also topped Bubb B at the 5th node.

20130922_135417.jpg

I am going to wait another couple of days to top Bubb A as well.

20130923_022121.jpg

I had also started watering the bagseed sprouts with light nutes at a PPM of 275 and a pH:5.7.

Hopefully everything picks up well after this flush and we start to see some new growth form the topping :peace:

Can't wait to see B start forking out into a bush.

I'm thinking the screen is more about managing flowering growth, so it's then a matter of when you go to flower. Currently, I am understanding Veg to be about skeletal and root development, then flower to train the branching into permanent positions to catch light and make buds. My plant is nearing a good even canopy in/under/through the screen and I am able to open up spaces for light to aid lower nodes to shoot up through and hopefully become part of the community on the screen. The picture is filling up more clearly every day, but I expect a shit yield with so many bud sites and such weak lighting. Hopefully I can squeeze another CFL reflector into next week's budget. AG, are you using an HID light? Can't remember.

>>>I checked my res pH and it was a soaring 7.5

How are you measuring your PH, and are you certain it is accurate?

What made it climb so high so quickly?

Glad nothing went terribly wrong for you while you were away. Plants are looking good, keep it up. :thumb:

>>>I checked my res pH and it was a soaring 7.5

How are you measuring your PH, and are you certain it is accurate?

What made it climb so high so quickly?

I am using a pH pen that I calibrate daily with a set pH solution. The most accurate I can get is by measuring 3 other known pH solutions. I realize how important pH is and hopefully I will be able to purchase a $100 + meter by the time I go into flowering.

As for the pH rising so quickly, I correlate it to the duo in PPM of over 150. The less concentration of nutrients in the solution made the alkalinity of the water rise.

>>>Glad nothing went terribly wrong for you while you were away. Plants are looking good, keep it up.

Yes I am glad I was able to catch this before my plans started showing any SERIOUS signs of stress.

>>>I'm thinking the screen is more about managing flowering growth, so it's then a matter of when you go to flower.

Correct Sky! I am planning on going into flower in about a month's time. By that time I will have the plants in their final home and will finally be able to use the E&F part of the design! It is at this stage I will be putting the screen in its place ;)

Be careful with that sledgehammer, ive seen mixed results with it

When you use sledgehammer, you should kick some ph adjusted water through the system, after the flush, to rinse that stuff out. Sledgehammer has been known to burn plants if not.

>>> you should kick some ph adjusted water through the system, after the flush, to rinse that stuff out.

This is exactly what I had thought of doing aswell and decided to flush each plant with a gallon of pH adjusted water w/SH and 1 gallon of just plain pH adjusted water.I waited until the next watering to start feeding with regular nutrient regime.

Thanks for the heads up though guys. I realize that chemical brands like FF tend to do more damage than good when it comes to giving them the right dose.

B.Real, would you care to elaborate on how what dosage of SledgeHammer you used when you started seeing negative effects?

AG, if you're gonna drop a hundred on a multimeter, why not save fifty more and get a Nutradip Tri-Meter that continuously measures pH, PPM and temps in Fahrenheit. Another member recommended it to me and after just a bit of research on the product, I could see that it will be very critical to get a constant display of the res levels. Maybe check it out?

AG, if you're gonna drop a hundred on a multimeter, why not save fifty more and get a Nutradip Tri-Meter that continuously measures pH, PPM and temps in Fahrenheit. Another member recommended it to me and after just a bit of research on the product, I could see that it will be very critical to get a constant display of the res levels. Maybe check it out?

Just checked this bad boy out! +Reps for the recommendation Sky, you obviously have been doing your research ;)

>>> you should kick some ph adjusted water through the system, after the flush, to rinse that stuff out.

This is exactly what I had thought of doing aswell and decided to flush each plant with a gallon of pH adjusted water w/SH and 1 gallon of just plain pH adjusted water.I waited until the next watering to start feeding with regular nutrient regime.

Thanks for the heads up though guys. I realize that chemical brands like FF tend to do more damage than good when it comes to giving them the right dose.

B.Real, would you care to elaborate on how what dosage of SledgeHammer you used when you started seeing negative effects?

crawdaddy hurt his big beautiful outdoor girls with the stuff. even those monster mamas couldn't handle it

I run organics.. I want to try the biobizz molasses and seaweed in these cubes instead of soil! I wonder if growth will be faster like they say, therefore they will finish faster overall!?

I flush usually flush with filtered water via a brita charcoal filter, no flushing agent

I just use tap when I mix my molasses/seaweed food

23/09/13

Not too much to report today other than the routine. Everyhting has been running smoothly since I came back and hope to start rapid growth. I will go ahead and transplant both of these into 1 gallon pots next week since I have now changed the current feeding schedule to twice a day.

20130924_164300.jpg

I went ahead and topped Bubb A at the 5th node.

20130924_164223.jpg

20130924_164242.jpg

And this is Bubb B after two days of growth.

20130924_164135.jpg

20130924_164210.jpg

The bagseeds are 16 DAYS from seed, with these two in particular showing the most growth.

20130924_165600.jpg

20130924_165451.jpg

20130924_165527.jpg

I only have to water these every 2-3 days and will water with the Buub's next feeding. I plan on giving the Bubb's another dose of Aquashield and Great White this next feeding as well.

Back
Top Bottom