AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal - Ebb&Flow - Bubblelicious 2013

Re: AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal-Ebb&Flow/Bubblelicious 2013

I'm trying to find a local store that sells RO by the gallon either pre jugged or at a machine, but it aint here either. @Dank, just go for it bro. Worst case is you fail, best case is you succeed. I'm halfway through my first and am running soil and hydro side by side. I'm doing ok so far I believe. Look through my journal, maybe from page 12 to current. Many things were learned as many things were tried and some even successful. Never know till ya try.

Water Chemistry for Tropical Freshwater Fish

Found this when researching a partially related topic. Check this quote;

----"For most aquariasts water hardness is not particularly important. However, excessively soft water can cause problems. Because softer water has less buffering capacity due to a lack of CaCO3 (a natural buffer), and is subject to pH crashes, where the pH falls dramatically causing harm to aquarium inhabitants."--------

wait... did you look up the info on the calcium carbontrioxide? because that may be the deciding factor in the PH of aquar4ium water depending on what that compound does.

nice grow bro.

ph fluctuations can be down to type of nutes used as well as tap water. i use tap water with very stable results but i have soft water of high quality where i live. sometimes its best to mix ur nutes then let it sit over night to allow it to stabilise before ph'ing. rockwool can be a pain to work with if its not conditioned first.

But so far so good, plants look a nice healthy colour and i agree on waiting till 5th node before topping from seed. clones are different, they usually respond better to aggressive training and topping. better to be safe than sorry.

Just as an after thought. DWC is the best hydro grow in terms of no dirty hands and u use very little media at all. if u use clay pebbles they can be used over and over again. Plus the speed and intensity of growth in dwc is something u must witness to believe ;)

Thanks for stopping by Cultivator and sharing your knowledge/experience with me. As for the fluctuations, I have been mixing my nutrients in advanced and letting them sit for 48 hours before I adjust as you mentioned. It has worked well for me but I still get an incremental pH rise after I have adjusted the 48hr nutrient solution. I am still figuring it out so I can maintain pH for at least 3 days when I am not around.

It was a thin choice between DWC, E&F, and an Aero setup. But after all the research I did, the realization that E&F is probably the most simple to setup and most user-friendly to maintain IMHO. The main things that turned me away from DWC or RDWC were plumbing weak spots and high res temps. As you know these can lead to many detrimental outcomes, especially since this is my first hydro setup and I would need it to be somewhat automated while keeping my mind at ease.

>>>sorry...i thought maybe they sold ro water at your spot...here RO water is .25 a gal...

WHAA? That sounds like a good deal to me. I have access to a free supply of distilled water, but transporting it to my location in more than 1-2 gallon containers at a time would be almost impossible.

>>>Found this when researching a partially related topic. Check this quote;

----"For most aquariasts water hardness is not particularly important. However, excessively soft water can cause problems. Because softer water has less buffering capacity due to a lack of CaCO3 (a natural buffer), and is subject to pH crashes, where the pH falls dramatically causing harm to aquarium inhabitants."--------

That makes sense to me somewhat. I'll definitely have a read through of that article. Thanks Sky ;)

Mini Update

This is going be more of a picture update than going into too much detail. Enjoy!

I transplanted the ladies today into 750ml containers from the 1 pint clay pots that they were in:

20130915_183514.jpg

Roots of both plants seemed really healthy with a very pure cream color.

Roots from Bubb A:

20130915_180047.jpg

Roots from Bubb B:

20130915_175203.jpg

Inter-nodal growth has commenced on both plants, but you can clearly see how far behind Bubb A is in growth due to early stress from high pH water that affected both plants.

Bubb A:

20130915_183714.jpg

20130915_183634.jpg

Bubb B:

20130915_183723.jpg

20130915_183655.jpg

I also added a humidifier on my timer to go on 30 minutes after light on and after lights off to prevent raise in grow tent tempretures, but efficiently raises RH by an average of 10-15% as well.

20130915_183856.jpg

Almost forgot about the bagseeds. They are taking their transplant well so I returned them back to their original home in the PC case:

20130915_183407.jpg

20130915_183051.jpg

Excellent improv!! Makes me give a lot more thought into this can of Dew that I am now drinking.

Thanks! I was hunting around the house trying to find something to replace the cardboard with when it dawned on me. I opened the fridge and downed 4 Dew's in less than 10minutes:tokin:

Whats up? your plants look great. what are those things called again that youre growing in, the generic name? I kinda want to try a hempy bucket hydro kinda thing. I feel like these cubes would make the best hempy medium? Whats your opinion? these things? coco? perlite?

how much does a bag of Grodan Grow cubes run you?

>>>Whats up? your plants look great. what are those things called again that youre growing in, the generic name? I kinda want to try a hempy bucket hydro kinda thing. I feel like these cubes would make the best hempy medium? Whats your opinion? these things? coco? perlite? how much does a bag of Grodan Grow cubes run you?

Thanks for stopping by Real. The grodan cubes are basically smaller forms of rockwool cubes and are commonly known as 'croutons'. As for a medium, if you are looking for something that holds in moisture very well then I think you found it! I have seen many hempie buckets with perlite used as a medium; I don't know too much about coco to give you a definite opinion.

1 cubic foot bag will run you around $32 online, and I am not sure but it may be cheaper at a hydroponics store. I have enough for two plants all the way through to flower and about 1/4 of the bag left.

how I adjusted my water when I ran Deep Water Culture is I had to adjust it twice the first day, once the second day and once more the third day until my pH became stable at 5.8. if you have a large enough container as a nutrient reservoir for vegetative or flowering nutrient mixtures you could adjust it that way. if you chose to use either Distilled water or Reverse Osmosis water you will have to supplement calcium and magnesium to make up for what the water is lacking for cannabis plants.

where I bought my Reverse Osmosis water filtration from, this can be plumbed to a reservoir with a float valve and a shut off valve. they also sell both the float kit and the shut off valve installed to the filter.

https://www.sunflowersupplies.com 100 GPD RO REVERSE OSMOSIS FILTER FILMTEC

The same bag is like $45 at the hydro store I go to, seems everything is more expensive there. I just like it because my favorite head shop is right next door!

I sometimes buy stuff at the hydro store knowing ful well that there is as much as a 35% markup just to support locally and for convenience also.

Convenience is one reason I shop there, but also because it's more anonymous. The reflector I bought was shipped to my place, and the damn UPS guy took it to the wrong house, and you could clearly see what box had in it, since there was a huge picture of the reflector on the box. They were cool people, but I don't know them that well, damn UPS guy! That was a cople of months ago, and no one has said anything, but I don't order stuff online, unless it's minor stuff, like a scope, or something.

Damn. With those prices I may just stick to soil lol

King John, $125, that's a pretty reasonable price for a portable RO unit like that one. It can be just connected to the regular tap, correct?

Today I struck a gold mine so to speak! At the state college where I work, I was cutting through the earthscience/bio building and I found a FREE accessible distilled water fountain in the hall way next to the restrooms and such. I figure I will start collecting a gallon a day until I have a nice supply of distilled water for the future.

As for CaMg, I just received my beneficial goodies in the mail, some GW myco's, GH Auquashield, and GO CaMag! That hopefully should get me through this weekend without a hitch.

Any updates? I know hydro growing is fast growing :thumb:

Im probably going to give in and buy a bag of these cubes soon :)

Back
Top Bottom