AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal - Ebb&Flow - Bubblelicious 2013

Re: AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal-Ebb&Flow/Bubblelicious 2013

Mini Update

So I came back from work today and I planned to go to the hardware store to pick up some PVC piping. On my way I ran into a construction site with a dump site. I took a peek around, AND ALOHA!! I find a jackpot full of PVC 90 degree joints, 45 degree joints, t joints, etc. I feel like my luck has really been high as of lately, first with the H20 and now potential pieces of my automated drip to waste system ;)

I came back just after lights out, and wanted to put some work into this and get a few dry test runs in before I take off for the weekend, so I put up a green incandescent bulb and went to work for a bit.

20130917_231546.jpg

I will most likely add this DIY extra to my E&F thread when I am completely done. Here is a preview of what the system will look like and what I have put together so far. Enjoy :passitleft:

20130917_225932.jpg

20130917_230230.jpg

It is going to rest on the edges of the pots, I just need to get a clamp to hold it in place.

I'm actually going to stop by the hardware store tomorrow and get some more materials to finish this off. All I need is two 3/4" cap for the end of the PVC system.

20130917_231033_LLS.jpg

And a 3/4" adapter for my 1/2" black tubing I borrowed from my E&F setup.

20130917_230945_LLS.jpg

So I will be updating when lights come on with some clearer photos of the Bubbs. Thanks for stopping by guys, the ladies and I are digging the positive vibes :Rasta:

>>>I was cutting through the earthscience/bio building and I found a FREE accessible distilled water fountain in the hall way next to the restrooms and such.

>>>I ran into a construction site with a dump site. I took a peek around, AND ALOHA!! I find a jackpot full of PVC 90 degree joints, 45 degree joints, t joints, etc

AG, you are cracking me up man. Next post will be, "I was walking by my local gardening store on the way home from school, and behind the store there was an entire pallet of hydro gear, gro-cubes and nutrients, that they left out for the trash!"

ha ha ha ha!

Just kidding man. You are one resourceful guy. Your setup is looking great. You should write a book on "How to grow on a budget". A few questions for ya.

1. Are you going to use a timer to turn on the pump to top feed your plants?

2. If so, how long will the timer run and how will they drain? When the pots fill up with water, how do they drain?

looking good bro. diy systems are the way to go. i spent tens of thousands $$$$ buying systems and now i build them for a few hundred per system, the only thing that really costs any money are the chillers and pumps etc. I never used to mind spending the money because the grows paid for the set ups ten fold, but i then thought to myself that i wouldnt just give a thousand pounds to a stranger for nothing and technically thats what i was doing. Glad i started diy'ing, and by building my own system it gives me a better understanding of growing techniques. I'm also a handy plumber wen it comes to probs around the house now! lol

AG, how were you able to bend the PVC? If you used heat, I can't tell b/c there are no visible carbon marks on the plastic. Great work bro! I'll be looking to build simple hydro and will likely be using your drip bar design with your permission of course.

Any updates? I know hydro growing is fast growing :thumb:

Im probably going to give in and buy a bag of these cubes soon :)
Yeah buddy! Go cubes!

Mini Update

So I came back from work today and I planned to go to the hardware store to pick up some PVC piping. On my way I ran into a construction site with a dump site. I took a peek around, AND ALOHA!! I find a jackpot full of PVC 90 degree joints, 45 degree joints, t joints, etc. I feel like my luck has really been high as of lately, first with the H20 and now potential pieces of my automated drip to waste system ;)

I came back just after lights out, and wanted to put some work into this and get a few dry test runs in before I take off for the weekend, so I put up a green incandescent bulb and went to work for a bit.

20130917_231546.jpg

I will most likely add this DIY extra to my E&F thread when I am completely done. Here is a preview of what the system will look like and what I have put together so far. Enjoy :passitleft:

20130917_225932.jpg

20130917_230230.jpg

It is going to rest on the edges of the pots, I just need to get a clamp to hold it in place.

I'm actually going to stop by the hardware store tomorrow and get some more materials to finish this off. All I need is two 3/4" cap for the end of the PVC system.

20130917_231033_LLS.jpg

And a 3/4" adapter for my 1/2" black tubing I borrowed from my E&F setup.

20130917_230945_LLS.jpg

So I will be updating when lights come on with some clearer photos of the Bubbs. Thanks for stopping by guys, the ladies and I are digging the positive vibes :Rasta:

Keep on keeping on my brother, blind,crippled or crazy free parts is good stuff

lol I am so glad I am not the only frugal 420 grower out there >< I thot for years I am the only person who anyplace I walk past I think to myself "I could use that for this or that it would be free the right price for me!"

>>>1. Are you going to use a timer to turn on the pump to top feed your plants?
2. If so, how long will the timer run and how will they drain? When the pots fill up with water, how do they drain?

Capn you got it right there! I definately would be cahing in if I found tons of hydro gear. I would be a very excited man :)

To answer your questions:

Yes I am borrowing my digital timer from my E&F and plan to feed once when lights come on and once more 8 hours later. I usually would only water once a day at this stage (as I the added medium from the transplant takes longer to dry out) but since I will be gone, I don't want to risk drying out the plants. There are drain holes in both pots and I plan on letting the runoff drain into an empty bucket.

As for duration of 'feed time' I have not yet determined that. I plan on turning the system on for as long as it requires to start running off from the bottom. I ONLY have 1 minute increments on my timer so it won't be less than 1 min cycles.

>>>AG, how were you able to bend the PVC? If you used heat, I can't tell b/c there are no visible carbon marks on the plastic. Great work bro! I'll be looking to build simple hydro and will likely be using your drip bar design with your permission of course.

Sky sorry to say but I did not in fact bend that myself! I found all these pieces 'as is' and have just been able to fit them together to come up with something that fit my setup. As Voodoo suggested, I think these are definatelly plumbing related pipes that you could probably find at any plumbing specialty store. I would have gone simpler, and just use L joints with straight PVC and make square drip BUT these were FREE so ;)

No permission needed here friend! I post to help my fellow grower as well as to get helpful input on how to make sertain designs better. It's a collaborated design from all our ideas:high-five:

>>> Glad i started diy'ing, and by building my own system it gives me a better understanding of growing techniques.

I completely agree with you here bro! Forget the extra expenses, but the actual EXPERIENCE of creating something from hand always gives me an advantage in diagnosing and preventing system failures!

>>>lol I am so glad I am not the only frugal 420 grower out there >< I thot for years I am the only person who anyplace I walk past I think to myself "I could use that for this or that it would be free the right price for me!"

This is my daily routine when coming to and from work man. Every where I turn there are possible DIY projects Wild! You are not alone ;)

Hey AG , I used a BIG DRIPPA a bunch of years ago I miss that thing.... It worked like IV bag in the hospital using simply manually adjustable drip emitters... A bag of water for one plant I used inthe end and wow WOW! Soil + Hydro made nothing but bud after bud and responded to clipping buds off early by making WAY more bud lol.... It dripped every 10 seconds one drop of water. 1/4 turn on the pot each day so it had 4 drip zones. I miss the drippa me wanty another one or a drip setup like yers I would love to try and compare :)

It appears the industrial age is not dead.

18/09/13

Things have been running very smoothly the past couple of days. Between juggling the workload of exam grading and preparing for my first weekend away from the setup, I have been fairly composed.

I have not watered the ladies since the 17th at the start of their light cycle, so I will give you a list of what I feed last watering.

Excerpt from notes:

-Watered with approx. 710ml (total of 1420ml) for each plant in new pots
-1.87ml of CaMg, .18ml of GreatWhite, 3.75ml of AquaShield, 1.25ml of GrowBig (per 1420ml)
-pH: 5.7; PPM: 330
-Runoff pH from both plants: 6.2-6.5
-Need to still lower runoff pH of both plants with a slightly lower adjusted pH feeding
-Bagseed medium are still moist, watering every 2 days

The ladies seem to have come along way from my pH fluctuation problems, now showing lush green new growth I am fairly confident I am heading in the right direction now.

I had been keeping an eye on two particular sections of my plants since last week that started showing signs of what looked like the start of a Calcium or Potassium deficiency. They have not changed much since last week and the pictures below show what they looked like today. Again this started on the 2nd set of leaves last week and has not spread since the start of my CaMg boost.

Bubb A

20130918_151042.jpg

Bubb B

20130918_151103.jpg

The ladies are both showing healthy signs of new growth and internodal growth is also picking up now.

Bubb A is on its 3rd node of 3+ fan leaves:

20130918_150918.jpg

20130918_150938.jpg

Bubb B is on its 4th node of 3+ fan leaves and is showing its first pair of 7 leaves!

20130918_150912.jpg

20130918_150740.jpg

I also got to work on a screen with the left over PVC I had. With about 4" squares, I plan on zip tying (along with extra hanging support) the trellis to the frame of the tent.

20130918_151202.jpg

And last but not least, the 4 bagseed runts. I have singled out two that have shown the most growth and when things start getting crowded in the PC case, I will start preparing to clear out the weakest ones. Ideally leaving me with one plant in the case.

20130918_152721.jpg

20130918_152746.jpg

20130918_152818.jpg

Though I have grown 2 plants in here before, I always developed the issue of high temps when their bush exceeded its limits. Who knows, I might practice High Stress Defoliation on all 4 of them and see how long I can go!

Hey AG , I used a BIG DRIPPA a bunch of years ago I miss that thing.... It worked like IV bag in the hospital using simply manually adjustable drip emitters... A bag of water for one plant I used inthe end and wow WOW! Soil + Hydro made nothing but bud after bud and responded to clipping buds off early by making WAY more bud lol.... It dripped every 10 seconds one drop of water. 1/4 turn on the pot each day so it had 4 drip zones. I miss the drippa me wanty another one or a drip setup like yers I would love to try and compare :)
I like. How exactly did you have this BIG DRIPPA set up? Was it purchased or ghettoed? I'm interested in all simple soil techniques. Details please.

Not to mention the HSDefol will lend to weening out the weaklings amidst the bunch.

I am intersted in how that setup looked like too Wild! All these years I could've avoided the death of some plants that unfortunately dried up while I was on leave! It seems pretty clever, I just don't understand how it cycles through the 4 drip zones daily? Does it move on momentum or do you physically just move it?

>>>Not to mention the HSDefol will lend to weening out the weaklings amidst the bunch.

Sky, that is a great point you mentioned there. All 4 of these plants will hone the specific speacialty techniques I want to apply to future grows in the tent!

P.S. NO, the industrial is still very much alive Sky. As long as people still NEED things and are to lazy to make it themselves then it will lengthen the longevity of the industrial age!

I am building a device that will convert pythium infested clones and seedlings into enough usable A/C electricity to power HIDs for several months that in turn will be used to give light/energy to healthy clones and seedlings. It's a circle of life and natural selection at it's finest!

For those who are too stoned to see it, I was definitely joking.

I am building a device that will convert pythium infested clones and seedlings into enough usable A/C electricity to power HIDs for several months that in turn will be used to give light/energy to healthy clones and seedlings. It's a circle of life and natural selection at it's finest!

For those who are too stoned to see it, I was definitely joking.

joke or not, that may be a feasible alternative with some research

:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom