Alerts counter is malfunctioning

I log in every day.
Okay, I think I have a better idea of what happened (I thought you had recently logged in for the first time in a while).

The 2 alerts that stayed would be for "Purple Pics" and "Newbie Grower needs". That's correct.

Opening the thread where you have the alerts marks them as "read" automatically, hence why it wouldn't be 7 or 5 where you'll have to click on each alert just so they no longer get highlighted.

I'm guessing the other 2 emails for this thread have been marked as read before somehow?

This should show you the full list of recent alerts:
Code:
https://www.420magazine.com/community/account/alerts
Disabling Persistent Alerts will get rid of multiple alerts you receive before reading the thread, which I think fixes the problem you're having with a flood of unwanted alerts.

Okay, I think I have a better idea of what happened (I thought you had recently logged in for the first time in a while).

The 2 alerts that stayed would be for "Purple Pics" and "Newbie Grower needs". That's correct.

Opening the thread where you have the alerts marks them as "read" automatically, hence why it wouldn't be 7 or 5 where you'll have to click on each alert just so they no longer get highlighted.

I'm guessing the other 2 emails for this thread have been marked as read before somehow?

This should show you the full list of recent alerts:
Code:
https://www.420magazine.com/community/account/alerts
Disabling Persistent Alerts will get rid of multiple alerts you receive before reading the thread, which I think fixes the problem you're having with a flood of unwanted alerts.
thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

1661364763041.png

Just the one thread and all my other alerts seem fine. Just subbed to that thread the other day. 🤷‍♂️

1661364763041.png

Just the one thread and all my other alerts seem fine. Just subbed to that thread the other day. 🤷‍♂️
This looks like an issue and that's very useful information that you sent. Thank you! I'll look into this.

It seems things have improved. I did notice just now 3 alerts (red# by bell in upper right), and in the drop-down there were 5 highlighted, but 2 of them were from yesterday. So it looks like the alerts# might reflect just the ones from the current day.

It seems things have improved. I did notice just now 3 alerts (red# by bell in upper right), and in the drop-down there were 5 highlighted, but 2 of them were from yesterday. So it looks like the alerts# might reflect just the ones from the current day.
When you press the Bell icon, the number should reset until you receive new alerts. You will still see some that are highlighted on the list if you haven't opened its thread.

Hmm, not working again. I just saw the counter at 1, and then 8 highlighted new alerts in the drop-down.

1661469040225.png

Hmm, not working again. I just saw the counter at 1, and then 8 highlighted new alerts in the drop-down.

1661469040225.png
The counter doesn't auto refresh. You need to refresh the page for the counter to update, or perform an action that refreshes the page like clicking the Inbox icon/etc for the first time.

These alerts from the screenshot are closely packed together, so you must have been on the page when it said "1" but when you clicked the Alert icon, there were more alerts during the time period people reacted or tagged you.

Does that sound right?

Or can you reproduce this happening constantly while knowing all of this?

The counter doesn't auto refresh. You need to refresh the page for the counter to update, or perform an action that refreshes the page like clicking the Inbox icon/etc for the first time.
OK, I'll keep that in mind. To rule that out, I will refresh a page before checking the alerts counter against the number of new alerts in the drop-down.

OK, I'll keep that in mind. To rule that out, I will refresh a page before checking the alerts counter against the number of new alerts in the drop-down.
Seems to be working right now.

I just noticed the alerts count is for new alerts, and the drop-down may contain older alerts (highlighted) that have not been viewed yet.

I'm not yet clear about how alerts change from highlighted to not highlighted in the drop-down. I just saw 5 new ones, and then they mysteriously changed from highlighted to not highlighted without me having clicked the links in the drop-down.

I just noticed the alerts count is for new alerts, and the drop-down may contain older alerts (highlighted) that have not been viewed yet.
That's the way it works for me with the caveat that it looks like only the first unread alert message shows up. When I click on it I may see additional responses to that thread that didn't show on the alerts list (which is good for me since it shortens that list).

I'm not yet clear about how alerts change from highlighted to not highlighted in the drop-down. I just saw 5 new ones, and then they mysteriously changed from highlighted to not highlighted without me having clicked the links in the drop-down.
All new alerts show with a grey background for me the first time they show on the alerts list when I view it. If I then read an alert and reclick the alerts bell, only the ones with comments/replies continue to show grayed up. All the others that have simply been "liked" or "hearted" or whatever no longer show the grey background.

All new alerts show with a grey background for me the first time they show on the alerts list when I view it. If I then read an alert and reclick the alerts bell, only the ones with comments continue to show grayed up. All the others that have simply been "liked" or "hearted" or whatever no longer show the grey background.
thanks, I will try to confirm that.

I just added a reply to my thread.

The browser page refreshed, and I saw the alert counter at 10.

In the dropdown there were only 5 highlighted alerts, all from today.

I just added a reply to my thread.

The browser page refreshed, and I saw the alert counter at 10.

In the dropdown there were only 5 highlighted alerts, all from today.
Only 5 alerts or only 5 highlighted? Can you send a screenshot?

Only 5 alerts or only 5 highlighted? Can you send a screenshot?
A full list of alerts, of which only 5 were highlighted.

I didn't make a screen shot... next time I'll screenshot the counter and the drop-down.

Is it possible those unhighlighted were all no comments posts (just likes and hearts, etc?) and were originally highlighted but then lost the highlight when you refreshed the list? That's the way it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom