Alerts counter is malfunctioning

I would think that a glitch in the system is more likely reason for what is happening. Why would several people all start experiencing the same thing within days or hours of each other.
Well, Roy did suggest that there was an update to the system that needs to be refreshed in our individual caches. Now, maybe that's something that could have been part of the update but I don't really understand how caches work.

Companies track us with cookies and such, so it would seem to me they have more access to our stuff than they probably should.

That said, I'm going to see of I can figure out how to clear my cache and see if that fixes it like it did for Roy.

Mine is randomly giving me one alert for every new post in a thread. "There may be additional posts after..." Yeah, so why fart out the extra alerts? :rolleyes:

I hope the developer gets that bug sprayed soon.

^ There, same issue as me.

Also about cookies...
A random sequence is sent to you when you login. 420magazine stores that sequence.
Your browser then sends that sequence back automatically with each request you make to 420magazine.
That's tracking in a very broad sense, but it's really just authentication to prove you're authorized to be you - without resending your password over and over. It's not nefarious - Really, tracking usually spans across multiple sites. For instance fbook being able to track you while you read articles on some news site because the web devs embedded some fbook like button on their site - or advertisers sharing data with each other. Caching and cookies are different. Your cache is usually used by the browser to avoid redownloading assets that haven't changed. Images for instance...

I am just visited the forum for the first time today.

First thing I did... I clicked on the link in the email, "Alerts counter is malfunctioning..."

This opened a new page in my browser, with alert count 5, but the drop down shows just 2 new alerts (they are highlighted with grey background).

I received 7 new emails – 5 for the "Alerts counter is malfunctioning...", 1 for "Purple Pics...", and 1 for "Newbie Grower needs...".

So, there appears to have been 7 new alerts... the alert counter showed 5... and the drop-down showed 2.

First thing I did... I clicked on the link in the email, "Alerts counter is malfunctioning..."

This opened a new page in my browser, with alert count 5, but the drop down shows just 2 new alerts (they are highlighted with grey background).

I received 7 new emails – 5 for the "Alerts counter is malfunctioning...", 1 for "Purple Pics...", and 1 for "Newbie Grower needs...".

So, there appears to have been 7 new alerts... the alert counter showed 5... and the drop-down showed 2.
My tale of woe is that I logged on after a 1 1/2 day break to get stuff done around the house and saw 52 alerts. I click on it and count 20 some with the 'highlighted with grey' back ground. Then I notice that they all are from 2 msg thread, well not all, the oldest two are from Friday. The rest are from the "purple pics" or from "Trala’s Tent".

I am getting an alert each time someone replies to those two threads and only those two. Other threads have one alert for the first person only. I cannot see any changes in my preferences to account for this. Actually it has not changed at all in awhile so nothing noticeable there.

Two other message boards I frequent are using what looks the same base software and while their "skin" is different the locations where 'alerts' and other buttons are is in the same area, etc. I am not experiencing any glitches in the 'alerts count' while there.

In approximately three hours, the goofball number by the bell graphic went from nothing - to 40. Which would be great, if it was in regards to 40 threads. How is getting THIRTEEN notifications for one thread in any way helpful, FFS? And if I accidentally use one to a post in a thread that's three newer than what the most recent post that was there when I read all the posts in the thread during my last visit... then I've just skipped two posts.

I'll be missing a lot of posts now, because in an effort to keep that thing from racing triple digits in 24 hours or less, I'll have to start unsubscribing from threads that have a relatively high amount of activity.

I'm curious, was this a "developer oops" bug that was inflicted upon us when you installed a new version of the firm software or trellises component? If so, these things suck, but you cannot really be blamed for something that happened because you are trying to keep the forum as secure as you can by installing things as soon as they lose their beta status.

If, on the other hand, it's due to someone trying to justify their existence by molesting type database and/or diddling with the configuration so that tomorrow, next week, IDFK Spring of next year, maybe, they can proudly(?) say that they've fixed the issue and that the frustration the user base has endured (and that you've endured, if the issue lasts long enough for you to experience a bleeding away of some of your active users) will finally end... Can you tell the person to just f*cking stop, lol? Maybe if you buy them one of those fancy coffee drinks, pat them on the back, and say, "Look,I want you to know that you are appreciated. So much that, if you want to just sit there doing nothing all day long and NOT BREAK SHIT, I'll still bring you a cup of coffee next week, too." Maybe they'll pick up on that little clue.

I just got on the forum today. I've got about 44 new email messages from the forum (and counting), and the alert counter says 68.

I don't know what's going on... getting this many emails and alerts wasn't happening before. Soooo... either something's been fixed to open the flood gates, or something's broken.

I just got on the forum today. I've got about 44 new email messages from the forum (and counting), and the alert counter says 68.

I don't know what's going on... getting this many emails and alerts wasn't happening before. Soooo... either something's been fixed to open the flood gates, or something's broken.
I concur.
20 notifications from one thread alone. Hehe
I'm sure they are working on it.
Give them time. :thumb:
At least it's better than not getting any notifications. :rofl:
Could always be worse.
Patients. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I sometimes get the same message appearing in succession on the alerts list adding to the count. But not all the time and I haven't found the commonality yet.

I've written some database programs over the years and know how maddening it can be to try to track down what exactly it is causing the issues. Usually it's something simple but unrelated to what you think you should be looking at.

I sometimes get the same message appearing in succession on the alerts list adding to the count. But not all the time and I haven't found the commonality yet.
Mine were the same msg with a different username who had replied to the same msg thread. I unsubscribed to the two threads and will have to re-subscribe soon. I also found the Persistent Notices that was mentioned in msg #26 and turned it off. I don't remember ever turning it on. It has worked so far.

I've changed the setting so you'll no longer receive alerts for every reply, and instead only alert for no unread alerts.
Did you mean only alert to unread alerts? If I've read through all my alerts I don't need constant alerts telling me I'm up to date. Lol.

Did you mean only alert to unread alerts? If I've read through all my alerts I don't need constant alerts telling me I'm up to date. Lol.
I still get multiple alerts on the same thread. ;)
It used to say there may be more responses after this.
Is that something I can fix @Marc Ocean ?
Thank you so much my friend. :thanks:
I appreciate your time.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I'm reading all of the messages and I'll try to respond to each:
Mine is randomly giving me one alert for every new post in a thread. "There may be additional posts after..." Yeah, so why fart out the extra alerts? :rolleyes:
This is the default phrase used when an alert for a thread you watch has a new reply.

The extra alerts is because you have Persistent Alerts enabled in Preferences.
What gets me, is who turned it on? And, why I am not getting 'persistent alerts' from other threads than have more than one new msg?
We've had to make some changes to this feature. So if you had it disabled before, it's now enabled. You can turn it OFF once again in Preferences since we can't restore the old settings everyone had.

Unread alerts expire from the list after 30 days, so that might be the reason since you haven't logged in regularly.
My tale of woe is that I logged on after a 1 1/2 day break to get stuff done around the house and saw 52 alerts. I click on it and count 20 some with the 'highlighted with grey' back ground. Then I notice that they all are from 2 msg thread, well not all, the oldest two are from Friday. The rest are from the "purple pics" or from "Trala’s Tent".

I am getting an alert each time someone replies to those two threads and only those two. Other threads have one alert for the first person only. I cannot see any changes in my preferences to account for this. Actually it has not changed at all in awhile so nothing noticeable there.

Two other message boards I frequent are using what looks the same base software and while their "skin" is different the locations where 'alerts' and other buttons are is in the same area, etc. I am not experiencing any glitches in the 'alerts count' while there.
This is because we had to make some changes to the Persistent Alerts. I see you now have it disabled for your account.
I concur.
20 notifications from one thread alone. Hehe
I'm sure they are working on it.
Give them time. :thumb:
At least it's better than not getting any notifications. :rofl:
Could always be worse.
Patients. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I've just disabled Persistent Alerts for your account too. Read above this quote for more details.
I've changed the setting so you'll no longer receive alerts for every reply, and instead only alert for no unread alerts.
I've had to change this back because emails were no longer being sent multiple times. Right now there doesn't seem to be a way to suppress persistent alerts and keep persistent emails.

I'm reading all of the messages and I'll try to respond to each:

This is the default phrase used when an alert for a thread you watch has a new reply.

The extra alerts is because you have Persistent Alerts enabled in Preferences.

We've had to make some changes to this feature. So if you had it disabled before, it's now enabled. You can turn it OFF once again in Preferences since we can't restore the old settings everyone had.

Unread alerts expire from the list after 30 days, so that might be the reason since you haven't logged in regularly.

This is because we had to make some changes to Persistent Alerts. I see you now have it disabled for your account.

I've just disabled Persistent Alerts for your account too. Read above this quote for more details.

I've had to change this back because emails were no longer being sent multiple times. Right now there doesn't seem to be a way to suppress persistent alerts and keep persistent emails.
Thanks Marc we all really appreciate your hard work. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

I log in every day.

I have turned off "Persistent alerts" in the Preferences... we'll see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom