Alerts counter is malfunctioning

Is it possible those unhighlighted were all no comments posts (just likes and hearts, etc?) and were originally highlighted but then lost the highlight when you refreshed the list? That's the way it works for me.
All I can say is, the page was freshly loaded and the alert counter showed 10.

I then immediately went into the drop-down, and there I found a full list, but only 5 of them were highlighted.

I think the alert counter should have shown 5. Right?

Were the five highlighted ones the first five on the list? And were all of them "replies?"
I don't have that info. Next time around I'll get screen shots.

i had 244 alerts, i thought i won something, LOL.

:blunt:
I won a badge... it's called "Addicted"... pretty much hits the mark! :morenutes:

I don't have that info. Next time around I'll get screen shots.
OK, here's the big one... counter says 2 alerts, drop-down has 4 highlighted. I refreshed the browser page just before taking the screenshots...

1661836503602.png

1661836532340.png

• • •
1661836574405.png

• • •

Thanks for taking a look. I'm not checking whether I looked at them or not... just checking the counter vs the number highlighted.

The ones that are highlighted for me are the ones with "replies" that I haven't looked at yet, but when refreshed, the ones with "likes" not longer are highlighted. That's why that one in the middle that was a "like" was odd to me.

Is the list any different if you click the "Show all" button in bottom left corner of the list you get when you click the bell icon?

Hey Marc I got this double alert last night, I also get email alerts from this "one" thread. If that has any thing to do with it .
Don't get email for others except, threads I start or topic of the week. I did get 2 emails also
hope this can help to fix the problems
had a post from this thread the day before & only got the one

dbl. alert.jpg

Hey Marc I got this double alert last night, I also get email alerts from this "one" thread. If that has any thing to do with it .
Don't get email for others except, threads I start or topic of the week. I did get 2 emails also
hope this can help to fix the problems
had a post from this thread the day before & only got the one

dbl. alert.jpg
This is something we're looking into. You're not supposed to get 2 alerts for the same post (same issue as Regrowth).

As for the emails for this thread, maybe it's set to "watch with email alerts":

email.png

You can go here:
Code:
https://www.420magazine.com/community/watched/threads
Find the thread -> select the bottom-right checkbox for the thread -> Click the Manage Watched Threads box in the top right corner of the screen -> Select Disable email alerts

I'm seeing some very strange things with the alerts counter now. Again, I always refresh the browser screen before I take a look at the alerts counter and the drop-down. I saw 25 alerts, and in the drop-down there were only 23. I went to check the "Show all" list and it didn't show anything like 23... much less.

Then I viewed some replies by clicking the link in the alert emails. Then I refreshed the page and the alerts counter was absent, which one would think means zero alerts. Then I viewed the drop-down and there were 7 highlighted alerts. The counter should have shown 7, right?

The software around the alerts drop-down and counter seems to be wonky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you have alerts and click the bell icon, then the number disappears, regardless if you've taken the time to click them or not. That's how it has always behaved. Likes / Loves... are also marked as read instantly. If any further alerts happen then the counter restarts. That's also by design.

Thanks, but I think as long as there are highlighted alerts in the drop-down, the counter should reflect that. Simple and direct.

When you actually click on one of these highlighted alerts, and view the reply, then the counter should be reduced by one.

There's a "Mark read" button to mark them all as read if desired, and then all the highlights are cleared.

I think the alert count and the highlighting should only count for the 25 alerts in the drop-down – i.e. the first 25, not any other ones.

If you have alerts and click the bell icon, then the number disappears, regardless if you've taken the time to click them or not. That's how it has always behaved. Likes / Loves... are also marked as read instantly. If any further alerts happen then the counter restarts. That's also by design.
Mine works like this. The counter reflects the new alerts since you last looked at the list. Any alerts that are comments stay highlighted until you look at them, but any that were just likes or hearts become unhighlighted once you've looked at the list the first time.

Hovering over the counter, the "tool tip" says "Alerts" not "New Alerts"

1662029092599.png

Mine works like this. The counter reflects the new alerts since you last looked at the list. Any alerts that are comments stay highlighted until you look at them, but any that were just likes or hearts become unhighlighted once you've looked at the list the first time.
That is almost the way I remember it. Just something as simple as opening up the list resets the counter. Once a thread that connects to that alert is opened the little notices will all turn white whether I read the new msgs or looked at 'likes' or whatever.

There's a "Mark read" button to mark them all as read if desired, and then all the highlights are cleared.
I remember that the little button right next to an unread alert will mark that alert as 'read'. Then there is another option near the bottom of the visible list to mark all as having been read.

Not going to open it up now to see what is working or not working but that is what I remember from the days before the snafu showed up. And any 'unread' alerts were still shown as unread even after logging out and logging back in later. They gray background was still there, etc. Sometimes it meant having to click on the option to 'show more' or 'show all' or whatever it says.

Hovering over the counter, the "tool tip" says "Alerts" not "New Alerts"
:)That one is easy to fix. All that it takes is for someone with access to go into the code running the software and backspace out the word "New". Problem solved.;)

Back
Top Bottom