Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

Trizkit Photo

Ok, I gotta figure this out and am open to ideas. Here’s the Trizkit. It’s a five foot wide ring, pretty much. She is max tied down and has no more room to bend on most branches. I just checked the tent. It is going to take the tent too long to finish I fear for this plant to wait on it before flipping. She’s already on the verge of overgrowing my closet. If I wait on the entire tent to harvest (except the Apple Fritter), this Trizkit will be so big even the tent won’t contain her. She still has to stretch for god’s sake. So I gotta somehow figure out a way to give her both a perfect 12 hour dark and enough space to stretch. That rules out the current closet, as I cannot raise the light. If I flower her there (I could, it’s possible to set that up) she will end up too close to the light, and the 420h is no bar light. Needs distance from the tops. It won’t work.

I could toss her outside but we have long days and they’re going the wrong way. However, I could let her dark in the closet and lug her outside for 12 hours each day, then lug her back to the closet for dark. You have no idea how much work that option would be. But it’s possible.

Then I have a guest room that can be made to be dark. But it still involves the indoor outdoor lug.

I suppose I could make a light proof box from the plywood and studs I have here, put her outside, and slide the box into place after 12 hours each day. But not only does that require construction, it would create serious heat and rh issues inside the box. Nope.

Last option: bite the bullet and set up one of the new (still boxed) 5x5s and toss her into there and proceed as normal. That is likely the best option for the plant and for my work load. But it’s the least palatable to me as everything is packed up to move.

What to do, what to do?

Oy.

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg
I think I’m going to switch my lights off in a minute.

The nute tank is empty.

Saves me making up a new one. We are 9 weeks from flip.

8 weeks for the Kush and 9 for the BBMR

Its Day #100

I’m old and weary.

Jaded.

China def gonna invade Taiwan in October now. Only month of the year the wind and tides work. Just before a bitter US election. Iran just teed them up for it nicely.

Want to curl up and watch some Smurfs.

Because if you want a population of blue people its the Smurfs or Michael Hutchence ftw. Not whatever stupid Avatar is.

Drought them in the dark for 36 hours. Chop.

I was gonna do a hula-hoop SIP single plant in rent once based on your “How to” Jon?

Once Upon A Time…

IMG_0119.jpeg

She still has to stretch for god’s sake. So I gotta somehow figure out a way to give her both a perfect 12 hour dark and enough space to stretch. That rules out the current closet, as I cannot raise the light. If I flower her there (I could, it’s possible to set that up) she will end up too close to the light,
I think "end up" is a key variable, since if it doesn't end up too close too soon, might the auto tent empty by then?

Trizkit Photo

Ok, I gotta figure this out and am open to ideas. Here’s the Trizkit. It’s a five foot wide ring, pretty much. She is max tied down and has no more room to bend on most branches. I just checked the tent. It is going to take the tent too long to finish I fear for this plant to wait on it before flipping. She’s already on the verge of overgrowing my closet. If I wait on the entire tent to harvest (except the Apple Fritter), this Trizkit will be so big even the tent won’t contain her. She still has to stretch for god’s sake. So I gotta somehow figure out a way to give her both a perfect 12 hour dark and enough space to stretch. That rules out the current closet, as I cannot raise the light. If I flower her there (I could, it’s possible to set that up) she will end up too close to the light, and the 420h is no bar light. Needs distance from the tops. It won’t work.

I could toss her outside but we have long days and they’re going the wrong way. However, I could let her dark in the closet and lug her outside for 12 hours each day, then lug her back to the closet for dark. You have no idea how much work that option would be. But it’s possible.

Then I have a guest room that can be made to be dark. But it still involves the indoor outdoor lug.

I suppose I could make a light proof box from the plywood and studs I have here, put her outside, and slide the box into place after 12 hours each day. But not only does that require construction, it would create serious heat and rh issues inside the box. Nope.

Last option: bite the bullet and set up one of the new (still boxed) 5x5s and toss her into there and proceed as normal. That is likely the best option for the plant and for my work load. But it’s the least palatable to me as everything is packed up to move.

What to do, what to do?

Oy.

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg
Amongst the many growers attributes that you have, you shine at logistics. You've got this and it feels like you're up for the challenge! :cheer:
China def gonna invade Taiwan in October now. Only month of the year the wind and tides work. Just before a bitter US election. Iran just teed them up for it nicely.
We grew weed through the pandemic, we'll grow weed through war. At least most of you live in countries that support Western democracy and the rule of law.

Amongst the many growers attributes that you have, you shine at logistics. You've got this and it feels like you're up for the challenge! :cheer:

We grew weed through the pandemic, we'll grow weed through war. At least most of you live in countries that support Western democracy and the rule of law.
I made Pineapple Beer with chillies and ginger during covid.

SA, Australia and Thailand very safe places to be should WWIII strike.

I think "end up" is a key variable, since if it doesn't end up too close too soon, might the auto tent empty by then?
See this morning’s post with all the trichome pictures. You tell me but they say to me I’m gonna be here a while yet.

Its Day #100

I’m old and weary.

Jaded.

Want to curl up and watch some Smurfs.

Because if you want a population of blue people its the Smurfs or Michael Hutchence ftw. Not whatever stupid Avatar is.

Drought them in the dark for 36 hours. Chop.

I was gonna do a hula-hoop SIP single plant in rent once based on your “How to” Jon?

Once Upon A Time…

IMG_0119.jpeg
Michael Hutchene blue jokes? Not the most tasteful but pretty funny Nick. lol 😂 CL🍀

Ok, jeez, well, these pictures ought to clarify why the Trizkit is vexing me. I simply must see this thing flower after what will be a 100 day veg (my math says today is day 96 for me). And the consensus seems to be to set up a tent for her. And a light. And fans. And an AC unit. But I have all that, and shit, if I can get a bit of help to set it up from the stepdad I guess that where I gotta go. Which light would you guys like to see the Trizkit flower under? Your choices (and mine) are:
- Mars Hydro FC-E6500 (650 watts)
- NextLight Mega Pro (640 watts)
- Combination of NextLight 420h + Viparspectra ??3000 (forget the initials for the VS at the moment, and 720 watts)

Obviously for one plant all are overkill. I’m inclined to try the Mega Pro. It’s in the box still but it is by far the easiest light to set up. And it would maintain the same spectrum she is currently under for what that’s worth.

So that’s my thinking on the Trizkit, and here’s why, as you’ll see I ain’t going nowhere soon with this tent.

Cherry Pie Trichs

Gorilla Cookies coco/hydro Trichs

Gorilla Cookies coco 10 Trichs

Bruce Banner #3 Trichs

Cherry Pie Cola

Gorilla Cookies coco/hydro Bud

Bruce Banner #3 Cola

So yeah. Tent is gonna be a while yet.

Heh. Nick, you’ll be weighed and done before me by a mile.

I forgot -

You guys wanna see a truly big fricking auto? Check out the Apple Monster, I mean Apple Fritter. I might beat Nick with this plant alone. Lmao!

IMG_5556.jpeg

Sorry, also forgot the Skywalker organic in the California Super Soil. This plant went just as nuts as the Cherry Pie. The Cali SS is the real deal. This is the biggest I’ve seen Skywalker colas get yet.

IMG_5557.jpeg

Don’t underestimate or lol at this technique for keeping your plant nicely spread. It’s all about physics and using the natural pressures of the branches against one another to achieve spread. I works fantastically well and is minimal effort: no downside. Here you can see my “spread bars” (lol) in play and the results upstairs. Every cola is spread from any next to it. It’s glorious. I screwed up the first Apple Fritter badly, and I determined to get it right next time. This is next time.

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5559.jpeg

Don’t underestimate or lol at this technique for keeping your plant nicely spread. It’s all about physics and using the natural pressures of the branches against one another to achieve spread. I works fantastically well and is minimal effort: no downside. Here you can see my “spread bars” (lol) in play and the results upstairs. Every cola is spread from any next to it. It’s glorious. I screwed up the first Apple Fritter badly, and I determined to get it right next time. This is next time.

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5559.jpeg
Those sticks are just wedged between branches, no ties or anything?

Those sticks are just wedged between branches, no ties or anything?

Think it was @DeeBoy mentioned it as an aside once in his journal. The ability to brace branches against each other rather than resorting to tied and stuff is oft ovetlooked.

- Mars Hydro FC-E6500 (650 watts)
- NextLight Mega Pro (640 watts)
- Combination of NextLight 420h + Viparspectra ??3000 (forget the initials for the VS at the moment, and 720 watts)
Take a look at the driver on The FCE6500.

I have 3x FC6500’s. At the driver (labelled so) they are actually 730w. But rated 650w

My Meijiu 1000w is actually 880w

I wonder if the FCE’s are also 730w

My vote is def for the Mars. My FCE4800’s are great, run a little hot and the cable management is crap but like Dr MJ Coco on his light review site - the best bang for your buck light on the planet.

@Greenvein having issues with the app and one of his Mars lights the other day.

Anyone else had it (even non app enabled Mars Hydro lights) physically unplug from the wall.

Flick the daisy chain rocker switch or the “soft” button on the wifi/bt enabled ones.

Plug back in the wall.

Turn the dimmer.

Should now work properly.

And yeah CL! You’re at least as bad as me because you got the joke!

😂

USA not so much.
Booze was banned a few times in Thailand during Covid and a long long time in SA. Pineapple skin has a natural yeast plus lots of sugar so it helps it ferment.

We added birds eye chillies, ginger and lemongrass.

After 4 days its done. The brix style refractometer we had reckoned it was 18% abv - its was powerful medicine for sure! It was also very lightly naturally carbonated. Same way most champagne is naturally carbonated - unlike Perrier water that famously lost a big court case about it “but Co2 is au naturel, non?” “Non!” Said the EC

Might make it again.

We added the chilli/ginger/lemongrass and I think some holy basil because constituent ingredients of Tom Yum Soup which is kinda popular here.

Used to sip it from martini glasses and look at the ocean and the beach that was closed.

Think it was @DeeBoy mentioned it as an aside once in his journal. The ability to brace branches against each other rather than resorting to tied and stuff is oft ovetlooked.

Take a look at the driver on The FCE6500.

I have 3x FC6500’s. At the driver (labelled so) they are actually 730w. But rated 650w

My Meijiu 1000w is actually 880w

I wonder if the FCE’s are also 730w

My vote is def for the Mars. My FCE4800’s are great, run a little hot and the cable management is crap but like Dr MJ Coco on his light review site - the best bang for your buck light on the planet.

@Greenvein having issues with the app and one of his Mars lights the other day.

Anyone else had it (even non app enabled Mars Hydro lights) physically unplug from the wall.

Flick the daisy chain rocker switch or the “soft” button on the wifi/bt enabled ones.

Plug back in the wall.

Turn the dimmer.

Should now work properly.

And yeah CL! You’re at least as bad as me because you got the joke!

😂
I second the FCE6500 as the better choice. Better coverage than Nextlight and draws 680w from the wall from what I've read.

I try to steer away from the non strip LED fixtures for flowering with lower ceilings and I believe you need a bigger footprint to use them to their full potential.

They all have dimmers but if you can run the fixture closer to the canopy you will use the light more efficiently. Especially with Jon trying to keep things even and low I believe Mars to be the better choice.

My A8 650w draws 635w from the wall.

Cheers!

I second the FCE6500 as the better choice. Better coverage than Nextlight and draws 680w from the wall from what I've read.

I try to steer away from the non strip LED fixtures for flowering with lower ceilings and I believe you need a bigger footprint to use them to their full potential.

They all have dimmers but if you can run the fixture closer to the canopy you will use the light more efficiently. Especially with Jon trying to keep things even and low I believe Mars to be the better choice.

My A8 650w draws 635w from the wall.

Cheers!
The FC4800 Evo (no E) I have has a smaller footprint and cost more.

I’d swap it for the FCE version for sure. Just footprint.

I have often mentioned the cable management in the FCE series not being great. It does allow you to adjust the bar spacing though.

Me I have mine spaced to standard.

MJ Coco ran PAR tests and reckons probably the better option of the two.

But with a caveat or two. I forget what.

He also claims that normally he gets lifhts free to test and returns them after but he actually bought his test model on his own dime than return it. He likes the FC6500 but loves the FCE’s

IMG_0143.jpeg
IMG_0144.jpeg

Look Ma! No hermies!

Been putting the UVC on most days at random times through the night for 10 days or so?

Learned all about UVC right here btw The OG Auto Grower.

Important to note that.

This is an early one just 15 minutes after lights out.

Probably do them again before bed.

Fed them the last 5L or so of their mild flower mix mixed with just borehole water. Didn’t even Ph it.

Call it a final flush.

The stigma really aren’t quite tight enough for me yet, especially the OGK. Weird. Thought that they’d finish first.

i’ll let them run. Can’t ship the light back to Shenzhen until Wednesday earliest.

That’s really my main motivation. I want it gone out of my sight!

And a replacement ASAP.

Really - probably an FC6500.

My share the new dispensary sales is going on two more of them.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom