Baby Ladybugs?

greenjeans

Geez - I feel kinda bad - I've been squishing these guys and at the same time wishing I had more Ladybugs!!!! I decided to leave them alone because I didn't see that they were causing any problems and finally thought to do some googling - I'm pretty sure that they are baby Ladybugs and all of a sudden I have way more Ladybugs - still lots of aphids but ever bit helps!!
ladybug.jpg

Hey GreenJeans! Not sure what that is.... but that’s not a ladybug. That is of the caterpillar or moth family, and will chew on your leaves, hump with another and lay eggs all over the underside of your leaves. Or if the plant is in flower - it will chew into your buds and lay eggs there.

Is she in flower? - If so you may want to inspect the buds closely - look for any holes or gray patches over the next few weeks. I’m just a newbie here but that bugger would be dead if found in my garden

Hey GreenJeans! Not sure what that is.... but that’s not a ladybug. That is of the caterpillar family, and the only thing that’s going to do is chew on your leaves, hump with another and plaster eggs all over the underside of your leaves.
I had to look too, but it is! And they eat all things bad, just like their parents. They vary from this guy to very spiky and much more orange.
F38544AD-23BA-4A58-963C-C6007BB4E3A6.jpeg

that’s not a ladybug
Are you sure?? - They say that baby ladybugs look like small alligators and I have watched these guys pretty close and they slowly morph into the ladybug shape and they don't seem to eat the plant - I should capture one and watch what happens!!

No shit seriously - ok! I’m totally ok with being wrong. Hehe that bugger looks nothing like a lady bug but yeah I guess it morphs into one as it builds that protective shell & wings.

Apologies my bad greenjeans - cuz I would have crapped my pants seeing that on my plant. I caught lady bugs and put in my grow areas but never seen a magnified baby lady bug - guess they molt to become finished? IDK??

thanks for the education 13Goody!

No shit seriously - ok! I’m totally ok with being wrong. Hehe that bugger looks nothing like a lady bug but yeah I guess it morphs into one as it builds that protective shell & wings.

Apologies my bad greenjeans - cuz I would have crapped my pants seeing that on my plant. I caught lady bugs and put in my grow areas but never seen a magnified baby lady bug - guess they molt to become finished? IDK??

thanks for the education 13Goody!
Like I said I had to look it up, too.
I used to be a pest control guy and I have never even seen (knowingly) a baby ladybug. I would have said HELL no if I saw it under a leaf. Learn something new every day here :nomo:

absolutely a lady bug.. 100%,, the stage before the lady bug you know and love

magnified baby lady bug
That isn't really magnified - they seen bigger than the actual mature Ladybug!!! It is interesting to see the change - they shorten up and get rounder and start to get the spots and such - that's what got me thinkin' !!!

That isn't really magnified - they seen bigger than the actual mature Ladybug!!! It is interesting to see the change - they shorten up and get rounder and start to get the spots and such - that's what got me thinkin' !!!

now,, i'm not an entomologist at all, but i am perty sure it don't work that way

ever see the movie 'alien'? see that man on the table split in half and the alien comes out??

that is a lot closer to what happens to that baby lady bug,, ha

Who Knew????? I feel so bad for having squished so many!!!!! But as I watched them more they seemed harmless - sure glad I googled it!!! And man, did those little bastard aphids get ahead of them!!!
Hope they see your sparing them and their young as incentive to get their $hit together and destroy the aphids!

I found a cluster once and put them in a plastic canister to let them hatch. The eggs looked like tiny yellow rice stacked on end next to each other. Crazy! After research i promptly put them back.

Hey GreenJeans! Not sure what that is.... but that’s not a ladybug. That is of the caterpillar or moth family, and will chew on your leaves, hump with another and lay eggs all over the underside of your leaves. Or if the plant is in flower - it will chew into your buds and lay eggs there.

Is she in flower? - If so you may want to inspect the buds closely - look for any holes or gray patches over the next few weeks. I’m just a newbie here but that bugger would be dead if found in my garden
Nope. That is a lady bug larva or whatever stage that is. Lol. . I squished many as well until I decided hmmmm... and googled. Than I collected them and put them on the plants. Lol

Back
Top Bottom