Bubblegum Deep Water Culture LED/CFL Grow!

should i be doing any pruning or just be letting them free grow? I am also nervous about my ppms dropping every day as i add a new gallon of water they are now down to around 450

To prune or not to prune, that is the question. Lots of debate about the subject, Topping and Fimming aside, I like to leave all the leaves and branches on and "tuck" the leaves out of the way that are blocking light to a bud. I think MC likes to do it this way too. Others like to trim the bottom leaves and branches off thinking this helps the top buds and leaves stay healthier, not sure about that one but seems to work for some people. I say for this grow just leave well enough alone. You are already learning a lot of new things.

If your ppms are dropping and the water level is going down, seems like the plants are eating the nutes and drinking the water. All seems good. That is why you drain and replenish every week to give them a fresh Banquet Table of Food to eat.

Yes there is a big debate on cut prune vs bend prune. I think what is comes down to whether the action will have a stunting effect on the plant. What I know is that bending in it's various forms has never stunted a plant. I also know that, if applied in a limited fashion, that cut pruning can be beneficial with a minimal chance of harm.

Fimming and topping have shown to benefit the grow where we want the growth - on the top of the plant or "the business end". The problem I find is that anything in excess is a bad idea. You can trim off a couple of bottom branches but you have to know that any cutting of a healthy branch will cause the plant to first, lose the investment the plant has made in that branch and second. cause the plant to try to regrow. Where that regrowth happens is questionable. Sometimes the plant tries to regrow from the "damaged" site and sometimes it moves up a node. Either way you are chasing and/ or encouraging growth to a higher portion of the plant. If it gets into the bud production part of the plant is anyone's guess hence the unpredicitability of the benefit. Unpredictability is not something a new grower should indulge in.

Too much trimming at the wrong time can adversely affect overall plant health and thereby bud production so whatever you do take a minimalist approach and keep it to a couple of small branches per plant and then wait for a reaction from the plant. Pruning in general is an art and just chalk full of "it depends" circumstances like general health of plant, stage of veg, nute provided, uptake of nutes, ph stability and strain growth patterns just to name a few. Going slow makes any problem easy to recover from and going too fast can kill a weed.

Ok i will not prune on this grow unless you guys decide i should later on, I am thinking of starting flowering on Tuesday when i change out my water, should i?
IMG_04225.jpg

I keep my veg nutes in for about two weeks into flower and I keep them at whatever dose I was using the week before. I do this by making the res change on the day of 12/12 with veg nutes and do one more res change with veg nutes after that. The next res change is the flower nute change.

I do this because the plant's natural reaction to the shorter light cycle is to start stretching and it will rob nutrients from the bottom of the plant by sucking the nutrients out of the lower leaves. I've seen a lose of up to 1/3rd of the lower leaves. The veg nutes give it enough of a N boost to avoid some but not all of this from happening.

Leaves are like little spare fuel tanks for growth and I like to keep my fuel tank as full as I can to get the best growth.

my main worry approaching flowering now is how my LED's are going to hold up i am running a total of 155 watts of LED plus a bunch of random cfls along the side with the goal of giving light to the under area where the LED's wont penetrate well to help compensate for this weakness.

I have a good amount of room to add lights with regards to heat, any suggestions of small stuff to add that will increase my yield and overall flowering efficiency?

Read the "Increasing Trichs and Growth" link in my sig. You will find it interesting.

But keep in mind, most of the stuff there is for the last couple of weeks of flower. ;)

For now just keep everything running normally and throw as much light at them as you have.

so my rez is around half full (2.5 gallons or so) and i am planning on changing it out tomorrow to fresh veg water and beginning the flowering cycle 8am to 8pm. i should be fine without adding new water right? and have any of you guys tried the reptile lights 4 hours a day during flowering, and i didn't really understand what they would gain for me?

Need to fill that res up. You could dump and refill or add 3.5 gallon or so to the remaining water. How long has that water been in the tank? If it's been in over 3-4 days I'd dump and start flowering with a nice fresh batch. They are going to need as much N as reasonable and it may have taken out some of the N in what's left.

today is day 6, i will go ahead and start with new water with high veg nutes around 750 right? how well do CFL's perform during flowering?

yea i normaly add water as needed but i was planning on dumping it anyways so i didnt know if i needed to add the water for the night.

They are now on flowering now

ph 5.75
water temp 62
air temp 78
ppm 775 (veg nutes)

Even though i bought fem seeds when should i check to make sure neither turned male? and how many weeks before i start seeing tiny buds?

Back
Top Bottom