Bud Washing

Not that any of us needed the vindication (results speak for themselves), but here is Jorge Cervantes preaching the need to wash our harvests at the Grow Med Convention in Valencia Spain last year: Herbies Presents (Part 2) Growmed 2013 Valencia - YouTube

Damn that's a good find! He's my hero! I still have my copy of his book from the 90's. Not that I wasn't already convinced, but this should end anyone's skepticism huh?

BTW, I have decided to wash my entire next crop. I've been on the fence, but after extensive testing :bong:, the difference is just too noticeable. My conscience won't allow me to not "do it right". I thought it was in my sig, but it's in my profile under favorite quote...
"Good Enough, Isn't."

Seeing The Man himself endorse it just reinforces the decision. Thanks! :thumb:

First off....HOLY CRAP... reading this tread was i would say EPIC, learned so much and also pissed myself at some of the comments!!!

Thanks to DocBud for risking your bud to start this wonderful washing process and also to Hiker for getting this convo started on 420 this tread has done much for this process, lastly to all of you who has contributed to this tread thanks for your time spent on the topic it will go far!!!

My first Outdoor harvest is about 8 or so weeks out and i have been putting together my ultimate guide to harvest, drying & curing to follow when the time comes and i have just had to alter it to bring this into my process as i am convinced this is MUST.

Thanks again too all that contributed and to :420:

Happy Grow and Smoke!!

Found them! :Namaste: Here are a few before/after the wash. Picture file name is the date in US format. Harvest was Feb19. Samples were random, and were taken to determine whether the plant was ripe (looking for amber), so there was no effort to standardize them - they are different magnification even, so it's just for reference really. I read about the process, developed by DocBud, about a year ago - and have washed all of my harvests since. :peace: I LOVE my buds, they are my gifts to myself. I wouldn't compromise them in any way. :peace:

Before: 2-3 days before chop, plant is still intact (LESS MAGNIFIED THAN THE FOLLOWING SET)

0217_1.jpg
0216_11.jpg
0216-21.jpg

Post harvest, 3-4 days after chop (MORE MAGNIFIED THAN PRIOR SET, Looking for amber)

0223-5.jpg
0223-4.jpg
0223-2.jpg

Dude....That looks SOOOO dank, would never say no to Joint of that!!!!

Well done sir!!

Happy Grow and Smoke!!

:420:

Re: So You Beat Em Like They Stole Something Hahahah!

If you search way, way back, you'll find that I mentioned using Boveda's on 420 about 4 years ago. Before lots of people have heard of them.

Same deal with washing buds. You haven't heard of it yet, because it's a new idea....cutting edge even.

Wash the buds, you'll never go back.

Hey doc!

I was reading through a journal on another forum and a guy mentioned that Water Cure gets rid of all the terpenes. Could they come off through bud washing? I understand that THC is not water soluble but is everything on the plant not water soluble?

I did try bud washing on my last harvest and I LOVE IT but the recent news just got me thinking... :)

Hey doc!

I was reading through a journal on another forum and a guy mentioned that Water Cure gets rid of all the terpenes. Could they come off through bud washing? I understand that THC is not water soluble but is everything on the plant not water soluble?

I did try bud washing on my last harvest and I LOVE IT but the recent news just got me thinking... :)

Well, I'm gonna answer you with a bit of a "smart-ass" tone.....

"It's always best to go with what anonymous people on a pot forum say."

In other words, you washed buds and LOVED them.....but anonymous strangers on a pot forum, who have never done what you did say that maybe something might go wrong....best not to do what you LOVE. right?

I'm all about terpenes. Terpene is my middle name! I want the most terpenes, all the time. Bud washing, as described here, doesn't decrease terpenes.....it take crud off the buds that tastes bad!

Nuff said.

"It's always best to go with what anonymous people on a pot forum say."

In other words, you washed buds and LOVED them.....but anonymous strangers on a pot forum, who have never done what you did say that maybe something might go wrong....best not to do what you LOVE. right?

Nuff said.

TROLOLOLO.jpg

TROLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Hay Doc thanks for the LOL's i got off this one!!

Happy Grow and Smoke!

:420:

This is a great thread. I stumbled upon it looking for a solution to my problem.

Just last night, I discovered some white mold/mildew on my growing buds. Plus, I found some of this on top of the soil. One one cola it looked like some possible bud rot.

I sprayed a bit with 10% vinegar last night as a desperate move to try and combat the continued spread. I won't know how they responded until a little later.

I'm not sure if I'm going to have to chop early to save them or what. I figured at the least I can bake them to kill spores and decarb, before making oil from it.

However, I'm now going to wash them right after harvest. I'm wondering if the wash will safely kill 100% of the mold spores? Would the washed bud be safe to juice at that point?

I am also wondering if a vinegar solution in addition to the hydrogen peroxide solution would be a one two punch, or if the peroxide and then the lemon does that already.

The main thing is that I have to know that I can kill 100% of the fungus. This is cannabis for someone who is sick and I can't take any chances here. I'm pretty confident that the oil process is safe and I'm sure it will be much much safer AFTER also doing the wash. But what I'm really after is knowing that I could smoke it and juice it safely.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

This is a great thread. I stumbled upon it looking for a solution to my problem.

Just last night, I discovered some white mold/mildew on my growing buds. Plus, I found some of this on top of the soil. One one cola it looked like some possible bud rot.

I sprayed a bit with 10% vinegar last night as a desperate move to try and combat the continued spread. I won't know how they responded until a little later.

I'm not sure if I'm going to have to chop early to save them or what. I figured at the least I can bake them to kill spores and decarb, before making oil from it.

However, I'm now going to wash them right after harvest. I'm wondering if the wash will safely kill 100% of the mold spores? Would the washed bud be safe to juice at that point?

I am also wondering if a vinegar solution in addition to the hydrogen peroxide solution would be a one two punch, or if the peroxide and then the lemon does that already.

The main thing is that I have to know that I can kill 100% of the fungus. This is cannabis for someone who is sick and I can't take any chances here. I'm pretty confident that the oil process is safe and I'm sure it will be much much safer AFTER also doing the wash. But what I'm really after is knowing that I could smoke it and juice it safely.

soak them for a full minute in the peroxide and cut out the visually rotted parts and toss them. I think you'll be just fine! Follow the peroxide wash with the 3 step process outlined in the thread.

If I smoke anything with mold or fungi on it I will be in the hospital on a respirator. I do not think it is a good idea for any MMJ to have any mold, mildew or fungi on it. I would not want someone to wash mine if I were to buy it regularly just to save the weed. It is just way too dangerous. Just my opinion.

If I smoke anything with mold or fungi on it I will be in the hospital on a respirator. I do not think it is a good idea for any MMJ to have any mold, mildew or fungi on it. I would not want someone to wash mine if I were to buy it regularly just to save the weed. It is just way too dangerous. Just my opinion.

I agree, but if it can be safely killed, then at the very least oil can be made out of it.

Between peroxide and baking at 245 degrees for an hour, I can't imagine anything harmful would survive. Plus, I wouldn't keep anything visually moldy or rotted.

I couldn't agree more, however the mold isn't really that hard to kill if done right. Wine makers, for example, kill all the yeast and mold on tons of grapes with sulphites.

Between the peroxide and the sulphites in the "Real" Lemon juice----which is the one to use if you suspect anything---I think it could be safe. If it works for grapes, surely we could find a way to make it work on fresh cannabis. Jorge Cervantes agrees.

In your situation, I'd get it tested before ingesting it.

I couldn't agree more, however the mold isn't really that hard to kill if done right. Wine makers, for example, kill all the yeast and mold on tons of grapes with sulphites.

Between the peroxide and the sulphites in the "Real" Lemon juice----which is the one to use if you suspect anything---I think it could be safe. If it works for grapes, surely we could find a way to make it work on fresh cannabis. Jorge Cervantes agrees.

In your situation, I'd get it tested before ingesting it.

For future reference, this Real lemon juice...how much do you use in the spray solution or do you dunk the whole plant?

just an FYI, I washed my first buds last sunday...i posted pics in my photo high brix thread...i checked on them this morning and damn are they stinky! they are drying very nicely too!!!

Ill report back here after the first smoke after drying is done next week!:peace:

just an FYI, I washed my first buds last sunday...i posted pics in my photo high brix thread...i checked on them this morning and damn are they stinky! they are drying very nicely too!!!

Ill report back here after the first smoke after drying is done next week!:peace:

You won't regret it.

Yeah, I also washed my buds and they are just about ready for the cure jar and if I didn't have an mega air filter in that room, P U! But a good stank. Sticky too.

You'll be very happy with washed produce. No one who tries this goes back to unwashed. No one.

The answer is on this thread:

1 cup lemon juice + 1 cup baking soda in 5 gallons of water.

That's the first bucket. The next two are just pure water.

huh... :hmmmm:

Can I ask where that ratio came from? Did that come from Jorge or someone, or was it the result of your trial and error?

It's stronger than what I've been using. I just finished washing a whole harvest, so I got to really work on refining my process. I also experimented a little with the lemon juice and baking soda strengths. I was using ~10g containers and found that ~1/2c lemon, and less baking soda, seemed to work well for me. My plants aren't as dirty though, so perhaps my additives don't get 'used up' as quickly? Maybe using more lets you wash more, dirtier, plants before changing? With my 10g containers, I was able to was 4-5 plants before I felt I needed to change the water. I don't have a lot of help for trimming, so there was only one day that we did more than 5 plants. It ended up working out so I only had to change my buckets once a day except once.

Re the mold question...

I don't think the issue with mold is smoking live mold spores. The lighter will kill those instantly. I think the problem is smoking the spores themselves. Even after they are dead. If you add chemicals to kill the mold, who knows what else is getting into the smoke.

I will not deny that I have smoked moldy buds in the past. I wouldn't do it today though. I think the safest thing to do with them would be cooking. I'm not even sure an oil extraction would be safe. Do we know the solubility of mold in the different solvents? My suspicion is the GI tract will be able to handle the ingestion of dead mold spores better than your lungs will smoking them. :blalol:

How much will this process help? I'm not sure actually. If you can see the mold, either with the naked eye or with magnification, why not inspect before and after? I agree with Doc though. I wouldn't risk smoking it without testing it first. It's really the only way to be sure.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom